Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
And obviously you couldn't have taken to time to even read one article so I 'll agree to disagree and you can see wind through rose colored glasses.

No offense but at least I can back up what I say and I could sit here all day citing articles that show wind is not green. I would have to look a lot harder to find even a few positive articles.

I am not against small scale residential at all. As a matter of fact I follow that technology very closely (esp. Roof top type turbines) as I am very interested in installing one or two on my barn. And if the state and feds would give us quite a bit more in incentive instead of letting the Europeans take over the industrial wind energy market by installing huge useless wind farms (big deal 55,000 homes yawn) then we could all be part of the grid. With amount of monies and subsidies this LLC front men for the Euro wind companies you could give a 100,000 or more people a roof top turbine for free.
YOU quoted the article to provide a link that shows where you got the information about how much oil a turbine holds. I'm only talking about that ONE article. If you had a credible source in your list of sites, why not quote them?

Maybe industrial wind power isn't the way to go, but all I see is TOTALLY anti-wind power or TOTALLY pro-wind power. Is there some source that is NOT biased? Please send me a link that gives me unbiased and credible information from experts who aren't speaking through 'rose-colored glasses' or with hatred toward industrial wind power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:51 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,651 times
Quote:
And obviously you couldn't have taken to time to even read one article so I 'll agree to disagree and you can see wind through rose colored glasses.
I've seen them before. Same old song and dance.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've made my point, you've made yours. To continue would be going in circles. You say you haven't found many positive articles? You probably haven't looked hard enough.

Here are a few websites with at least a modicum of credibility, imho:

American Wind Energy Association
Wind power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DANISH WIND INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION - Guided Tour on wind energy (http://www.windpower.org/en/tour.htm - broken link) (a little technical, but a GREAT resource!)

Old 06-30-2008, 03:51 PM

[quote=BovinaCowHateWindTurbines;4288048]as a side did'nt someone spot recently a "Ivory-billed Woodpecker" they were prevalent here upstate ny and I keep looking)
QUOTE]

Some ivory-billed woodpeckers were heard in Arkansas back in 2006 and possibly seen. First time since the 1950s. None have been seen or heard since then. I'm not sure what the original range of ivory-billed were -- I know they once were in FLorida and the southeast, but that was after Europeans got here. Possibly they were more prevalent in more of the country when it was just the Native American here. My life would be complete (ornithologically speaking) if I could see one of those birds .

Old 06-30-2008, 04:00 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Solar energy? I'm actually supportive for solar, but it's too expensive. Even with manufacturing costs, wind is still cheaper... and the manu costs can be made up for within 3-6 months after a wind farm is installed. I'm also all for energy conservation, too.
Solar is expensive, just like all alternative energy sources. It takes much longer for windmills make up costs than just 3-6 months. There is a lot of processing involved with it. I can get you a rough estimate on the costs involved - stay tuned.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Solar is expensive, just like all alternative energy sources. It takes much longer for windmills make up costs than just 3-6 months. There is a lot of processing involved with it. I can get you a rough estimate on the costs involved - stay tuned.
From the wiki link:

Quote:
Net energy gain

Any practical large-scale energy source must replace the energy used in its construction. The energy return on investment (EROI) for wind energy is equal to the cumulative electricity generated divided by the cumulative primary energy required to build and maintain a turbine. The EROI for wind ranges from 5 to 35, with an average of around 18. EROI is strongly proportional to turbine size,[66] and larger late-generation turbines are at the high end of this range, at or above 35.[63] Since energy produced is several times energy consumed in construction, there is a net energy gain. The energy used for construction is produced by the wind turbine within a few months of operation.
If that wasn't true, the wind industry would not exist right now.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times
I know we could dance all day DC but hey it's your thread so it would be nice if you showed all the positives of large scale industrial wind.

So no more of that negative wind stuff from me. Find me an inexpensive Roof Top turbine Please! Thanks

gl

Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I know we could dance all day
Salsa or hip hop?

The 3 sites I posted might be a good place to start for anyone who wants to read up on this. To find the positive stuff, you can find links from these sites... but I rather post the more credible stuff that shows both the pros and cons.

Anyone else wanna dance?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 PM

(Sorry - off topic)

DC Native - are you really a Washington DC native?? There are VERY few of those around! I lived there for a number of years and LOVED it, though now that I have kids, it wouldn't be as easy and fun as it was when I was single and nearly responsibility-free .

Old 06-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
(Sorry - off topic)

DC Native - are you really a Washington DC native?? There are VERY few of those around! I lived there for a number of years and LOVED it, though now that I have kids, it wouldn't be as easy and fun as it was when I was single and nearly responsibility-free .
Yes, I am. Honestly though, I like Texas better... for a variety of reasons

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
While I agree with the writer of the article that conservation is the key, the information an author writes in the 'Opinions' section of a website that is anti-wind power is not credible information. Is she an expert? All I saw after her name was the name of the town in which she resides, not that she is an engineer or anything of the sort. Find me credible information and I'll believe your figures.
Same story here. I took the time to read through all the links, and there was a report of a transformer that blew up and leaked mineral (baby) oil on the ground. That happens all the time all over the country and isn't specific to wind turbines.

There were no credible sources to support her claims. This looks like another case of your standard environmentalist scare tactics at work....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living