Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Animals are not impeded, they can still get past...I don't think it's so bad really.
Have you ever seen this area outside of Palm Springs? I mean, personally?

These are but a very small portion of the total turbines there - including on top of mountains - right up to the edge of the freeway (I-10)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
(response inside your quote...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Have you ever seen this area outside of Palm Springs? I mean, personally?

Nope.

These are but a very small portion of the total turbines there - including on top of mountains - right up to the edge of the freeway (I-10)

Well, on the tops of the mountains does not sound attractive, but I can't see those from your picture .

Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
(response inside your quote...)
The picture I provided is of one very small area of the total - They are on the top of mountains and down the highway edge

Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
These are but a very small portion of the total turbines there - including on top of mountains
One of the first large scale installations I remember seeing was on the top of a ridge next to I-80 in Wyoming. Air piled up behind the ridge, and typically spilled over the top at a higher speed than the prevailing winds. Ridge tops can be a wonderful place to put turbines.

Valleys and tunnels are good too. The trick to finding good wind is to remember that air will behave the same way as a river. If you want the fastest current, you just go to the narrowest part of the river. The picture you posted looks like it was built to take advantage of the mountain's ability to steer the air into that area.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
too much wind power makes it tough on fish runs (PNW)

NW wind power was almost too much of a good thing - Examiner.com (broken link)

Denmark Generates Too Much Wind Power | Got2BeGreen (broken link)

interesting challenge for the load balancing, when you can't store wind (yet)

Old 07-06-2008, 01:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times
Wow, Denmark is really getting creative with excess energy produced by wind...

I'm sure if we all play around with the idea a bit, we can figure something out... something that will work until we can find a way to store electricity on a large scale. This would eliminate one major disadvantage of wind power.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
DCN - Hydroelectric pumped storage is a proven technology for storing and releasing electric energy. The process uses two reservoirs with about 1000 ft vertical distance between them. When electrical energy needs to be stored vast quantities of water are pumped to the top by enormous electrically powered pumps (typically 250 mega watt) and when electrical energy is needed the water is released to the lower reservoir through the same machinery acting as 250 MW generators. About 70 to 80 percent of the energy is recovered. These power storage plants could be built to store the excess electricity generated when strong winds were blowing and release the energy when the wind was absent.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

Here in the southwest - including in areas like Palm Springs where there is a large wind turbine farm - solar energy would be as beneficial in collecting renewable energy and may be more esthetically pleasing even IMO.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Here in the southwest - including in areas like Palm Springs where there is a large wind turbine farm - solar energy would be as beneficial in collecting renewable energy and may be more esthetically pleasing even IMO.
The perfect place to put those solar collectors is under the turbines. You've already got the land, the infrastructure, the easements, and turbines don't cast a big enough shadow to cause an efficiency problem. Since the wind tends to blow during off peak solar hours, you can get more usable hours out of your existing infrastructure.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times
can i have one of that in my back yard, hope to save $120,000 in the next 20 years.

Quote:

[CENTER]
Not pretty at all[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living