Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

DOE's 2010 budget for coal includes $431 million for carbon capture and recovery.

DOE's 2010 budget for wind, solar, geothermal and water power is $475 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
DOE's 2010 budget for coal includes $431 million for carbon capture and recovery.

DOE's 2010 budget for wind, solar, geothermal and water power is $475 million.

And this, of course, is is just current budget. It has to be noted that the Coal Industry has been receiving massive subsidies for DECADES.

It'd be interesting to know just how many hundreds of billions of dollars of subsidies the Coal Industry has received over the decades. I'd imagine it's a rather mind-boggling amount.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd suggest finding some better sources and researching them instead of simply pasting the first couple of links that show up in Google that support your position. If I wanted to I could find articles supporting anything I want but I don't do that because the integrity of such sources is questionable.

Let's look at the link you used citing Greenpeace as an example because it's from 2007 just as the EIA report:

If you look at the EIA report Ethanol by itself received 3.25 billion so their figure of $330 million is laughable.
You can pick apart one or two of them if you like. You can question the credibility of Greenpeace if you want - their credibility is, of course, questionable.

But it's a little difficult to just live in absolute denial about the whole thing, isn't it?

You're the one who has been yelling about subsidies - going on and on and on about how Wind Power could NOT exist without them. But you've kinda gotten caught with your pants down, because it's OVERWHELMINGLY OBVIOUS that Coal Power has already received exponentially more dollars of subsidies than Wind Power ever will.

In addition, Wind Generators have NEVER spewed millions of tons of soot into the atmosphere, as has coal. Wind Generators don't make black snow.

It sounds to me like you're just a little scared that the Wind Power industry might be cutting into your gravy train.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You can pick apart one or two of them if you like. You can question the credibility of Greenpeace if you want - their credibility is, of course, questionable.

But it's a little difficult to just live in absolute denial about the whole thing, isn't it?
Denial? if you had taken the time to read the EIA document I linked too you would see the coal subsidies are listed as well. I believe I even mentioned the coal subsidies in previous post in this thread and certainly others. Of course you proabaly haven't read it as you would have not provided articles as "proof" since they are so far from what the facts are.

Quote:
It sounds to me like you're just a little scared that the Wind Power industry might be cutting into your gravy train.
It's not my gravy train, actually quite the opposite. You, me and everyone else in the US will be paying the price for this, period. From a personal stand point a s I said before this legislation will only serve to substanially increase my personal wealth so bring it on.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not my gravy train, actually quite the opposite. You, me and everyone else in the US will be paying the price for this, period. From a personal stand point a s I said before this legislation will only serve to substanially increase my personal wealth so bring it on.
We're already paying the price for it, and have been for decades.

The only real difference here is that petroleum and coal subsidies have been around for decades. Wind and ethanol subsidies are relatively new, and the coal & petroleum people are screaming and hollering about it.

It's hypocritical, really.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Wink Petroleum

Quote:
We're already paying the price for it, and have been for decades.

The only real difference here is that petroleum and coal subsidies have been around for decades. Wind and ethanol subsidies are relatively new, and the coal & petroleum people are screaming and hollering about it.

It's hypocritical, really.
According to you, there has never been clear cutting of any Mountain Ridges for Construction of Wind Turbines and according to you petroleum people are screaming and hollering about Wind turbine subsidies! Well nothing like having a reliable source.

I do not want to upset you but that computer you have been using to make your posts have significant number of components made from petroleum products and the production of your nice little computer probably emitted a lot of Carbon into the troposphere!

By the way, many of the wind turbines are built with, as you would call it, big Oil & coal money. And when $$$$$$Green$$$$$$ Al Gore goes to cash in on all the money he is making off these inefficient, very expensive Wind Farms and Solar Farms, please make sure he thanks you and the others who are suffing$$$$$$ his pockets with $$$$$$

Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
According to you, there has never been clear cutting of any Mountain Ridges for Construction of Wind Turbines and according to you petroleum people are screaming and hollering about Wind turbine subsidies! Well nothing like having a reliable source.

I do not want to upset you but that computer you have been using to make your posts have significant number of components made from petroleum products and the production of your nice little computer probably emitted a lot of Carbon into the troposphere!

By the way, many of the wind turbines are built with, as you would call it, big Oil & coal money. And when $$$$$$Green$$$$$$ Al Gore goes to cash in on all the money he is making off these inefficient, very expensive Wind Farms and Solar Farms, please make sure he thanks you and the others who are suffing$$$$$$ his pockets with $$$$$$
And I farted several times today, which means I produce my own gas.

So what's the point?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Default Lot of Hot Air!

Quote:
And I farted several times today, which means I produce my own gas.

So what's the point?
See, as you just stated, you keep making very valid points!

Last edited by CometVoyager; 09-29-2009 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Spelling and Title

Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
See, as you just stated, you keep making very valid points!
Since I'm producing gas, I believe I'm entitled to a hefty government subsidy.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
There has never been a mountain range clear cut for wind turbines. We've already proved everything you post is a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living