Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM

314 posts, read 930,666 times

Advertisements

large portions of the population have migrated to the coasts.....so line the shoreline and offshore areas with windmills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancan View Post
large portions of the population have migrated to the coasts.....so line the shoreline and offshore areas with windmills.
And here we have one of the problems.

Too many people, who want to consume massive amounts of electricity, are absolutely unwilling to be inconvenienced by its production. And they're unwilling to see what is involved.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Doing that off Delaware.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:39 AM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Are the windmills the big red dots, or the little black dots? I can't tell from this angle.....

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
We visited a wind farm today to see if all the hype about noise, electrical substation clutter, eyesores, etc. is true. We sat beneath an operating Vestas V-90 turbine in a 12-mph wind in the middle of a wind farm of 200+ towers stretching to the horizon. Of the 100 or so visible windmills, maybe 2 were not operating. Here's my verdict:

Noise: This is absolute nonsense. I sat 50 meters away--closer than any house would be located--directly downwind of a full-sized operating turbine and the noise of the wind in my ears or blowing around the car was much louder than the quiet whoosh of the turbine. It sounded like wind blowing around a tall building and was barely audible over the rustling of the corn and the rumble of distant combine engines.

Eyesore: Directly underneath the turbine, the constant shadows passing overhead from the blades was a little distracting. Also, for the first 10 minutes, the hundreds of operating turbines were a slight distraction, but after 30 minutes, they faded into the rural background--about as obtrusive as the high-tension lines you see criss-crossing the country--but I would say slightly prettier thanks to their smooth white finish. I certainly wouldn't mind living near a field of turbines, (in fact I can see them from my house), and would definately prefer it to living near a coal or oil powerplant.

Electrical equipment clutter: I did not see a single substation. I assume the power-conditioning equipment for the Vestas V-90 is located in the nacelle and the power lines must be buried because I didn't see any running to the windmills, just gravel service roads. There was no electrical hum or any real noise besides the sound of the wind.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Teak - the dotted area is probably the location of an offshore wind farm.

sponger42 - thank you for your observation.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Makes me wonder how much of a fuss people made about overhead telegraph, then power and telephone line. Our grandchildren really won't care where the windmills are.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Quote:
I'm with you.
Keep them off the tops of our mountains in our state - especially since the goal is to ship the electric out of state. Put them in the yards of the users.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
We visited a wind farm today to see if all the hype about noise, electrical substation clutter, eyesores, etc. is true. We sat beneath an operating Vestas V-90 turbine in a 12-mph wind in the middle of a wind farm of 200+ towers stretching to the horizon. Of the 100 or so visible windmills, maybe 2 were not operating. Here's my verdict:

Noise: This is absolute nonsense. I sat 50 meters away--closer than any house would be located--directly downwind of a full-sized operating turbine and the noise of the wind in my ears or blowing around the car was much louder than the quiet whoosh of the turbine. It sounded like wind blowing around a tall building and was barely audible over the rustling of the corn and the rumble of distant combine engines.

Eyesore: Directly underneath the turbine, the constant shadows passing overhead from the blades was a little distracting. Also, for the first 10 minutes, the hundreds of operating turbines were a slight distraction, but after 30 minutes, they faded into the rural background--about as obtrusive as the high-tension lines you see criss-crossing the country--but I would say slightly prettier thanks to their smooth white finish. I certainly wouldn't mind living near a field of turbines, (in fact I can see them from my house), and would definately prefer it to living near a coal or oil powerplant.

Electrical equipment clutter: I did not see a single substation. I assume the power-conditioning equipment for the Vestas V-90 is located in the nacelle and the power lines must be buried because I didn't see any running to the windmills, just gravel service roads. There was no electrical hum or any real noise besides the sound of the wind.
There is a difference between a concentrated wind-farm and those bigger towers they stick on top of a range of mountains for miles and miles.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM

314 posts, read 930,666 times

YouTube - UN - Agenda 21- Sustainable Development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living