Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times

Advertisements

I think we should go back to the old style family station wagon. I have a '92 buick Roadmaster Wagon that is the best big car I have ever owned. It gets over 25 mpg at 75 mph and does everything reasonably well.

It will not, however, safely tow a 9,000 lb trailer. Greatday is rich enough to buy a special vehicle for that duty. I do not see where a surburban commuter or soccer mom needs a big truck for the daily chores. If they want one fine but most of the market does not.

When the cars I have finally rust out (In New England they all eventually rust) I will probably have a difficult time finding a replacement for the Buick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think we should go back to the old style family station wagon. I have a '92 buick Roadmaster Wagon that is the best big car I have ever owned. It gets over 25 mpg at 75 mph and does everything reasonably well.

It will not, however, safely tow a 9,000 lb trailer. Greatday is rich enough to buy a special vehicle for that duty. I do not see where a surburban commuter or soccer mom needs a big truck for the daily chores. If they want one fine but most of the market does not.

When the cars I have finally rust out (In New England they all eventually rust) I will probably have a difficult time finding a replacement for the Buick.
One need be "rich enough" to get an appropriate vehicle today - For instance, we recently purchase a Ford Expedition and the dealer knocked over 20K off the sticker price. Heck, you can now get a current year Explorer, with very low miles, for under 15k

Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
If you have please be so kind and save your response for this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...nal-speed.html

it would also be useful if you had any stats relating to my belief that consumers are not buying small enviromenatlly friendlier cars because of the fear of being totalled by speeding suv's
Nope. What keeps me from buying a smaller car is the fact that it isn't cost-conscious for me to do so. My 1996 pickup truck gets 23mpg. Even at that it would take a lot of driving of a new, smaller car to just break even in gas mileage. So...I'm driving my truck until it croaks. Only then will I worry about what my next vehicle will be.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,371,543 times
Just driving more effectively and keeping a car maintained will be more effective when you keep an existing car. Although those who really put on a lot of miles may benefit from a more efficient vehicle.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I say buy what you want and need based on your opinion.If they worry about SUV;s then they must be in constnt terror of semis.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
To the original point,

I drive a MINI Cooper and have for 3 years.....I have never been put off by the larger vehicles on the road.

I also don't "judge" folks who drive SUV's, if they can afford the gas to fill them up, more power to them. I also think the generalizations on this thread are kind of funny. I see plenty of "safe" drivers in SUV's and maniacs in small cars as well as vice versa.

I really don't put much stock in the fact that type of car(or truck) you drive defines you as a driver or person.

just my .02

Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Actually, they were just recently discussing this at an international auto show. Auto makers themselves sometimes don't push for availability of smaller cars in the U.S. b/c of the size discrepancy leading to perceived and actual dangers. Which is one of the reasons why you see all those tiny cars in Europe and Japan (where they also don't have the road or parking space or accomodating gas prices) that you never see here.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
I got tired of the stinkeye everywhere I went as I drove up as a single driver in an Expedition. That and the scary numbers on the pump.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 12,541 times
Default Have the best of both worlds

Haven't read the whole thread - apologies if this has been mentioned already.

We recently moved to Arizona. Before we moved, we traded in both our Sentras for one new Ford Escape Hybrid. We have been averaging 27 mpg for the last 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living