Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times

Advertisements

Living With Ed is funny. He and Bill Nye's competition is fun to watch. I watched a couple episodes of Greenovate yesterday and was completely alarmed at how overbudget, even when paring down projects, everything went. Green has to be affordable in order for this to work. I do what I can and I'd love to put solar panels on my roof, just to see my meter run backwards, but the startup costs are just too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
but a lot of the other shows seem to be green renovation shows.
Which always cracks me up. Because wouldn't doing nothing be the "greenest" (I hate that term ...) thing to do?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
They did drafting tests on Myth Busters. It was quite interesting. They did the test over a measured mile, under ideal circumstance, and several different distances, and the mileage increase was amazing.
It was strongly pointed out his was to prove a theory, and it definitely wasn't recommended, unless you would love to be splattered all over the rear of a semi. There are much better ways to conserve fuel without risking your life.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I first heard the guys on Car Talk tell people not to draft off semis, this was 3 years ago, I think. The actual commercial on Planet Green doesn't tell you the risks, but the link to the commercial does, which is strange.

Watched the Ludacris/Tommy Lee show today ... it was interesting.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Which always cracks me up. Because wouldn't doing nothing be the "greenest" (I hate that term ...) thing to do?
True .

In a recent issue of Cottage Living, they had their annual article about their Top 10 Neighborhoods. Along with walkability, etc., they noted each neighborhood as either Greenfield, Infill or Adaptive Reuse:

Travel - Land Use Types: Greenfield, Infill, and Adaptive Reuse - CottageLiving.com

I'd like to see more differentiation like that. I'm interested in green renovation/construction when it's infill or adaptive reuse, but I have zero interest in greenfield. It's just a personal preference, but I'd be far more interested in shows that focus solely on infill/adaptive reuse.

Oh, and I do love Living With Ed ! Now there's a house that's "adaptive reuse" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living