Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
cellulosic ethanol is different from corn ethanol how?
Different feedstock. Cellulosic ethonal uses any different types of grass type plant, switch grass seems to hold the most promise. Currently produced ethonal of course uses corn as the feedstock. There are very few if any any LARGE scale cellulosic types production facilities in service. Investors are finding out that you can't afford to make it. Frankly without Gov. subsidies Corn based etohnal would be in the same position.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I disagree with your statements on Bio-diesel. Not only from these articals but I have @8yr personal, documented experieance in all weather use of Soy based bio-diesel
I may stand corrected to some degree, as I retired from a position as a field engineer for GM/Isuzu, working daily with upset customers who ran anything over about 15 - 25% biodiesel in their Duramax or Isuzu diesels back in '04 through late '06. At that time, it caused unholy havoc, and GM's head engineering honchos told us, in no uncertain terms, to NOT warranty injectors subjected to anything over B10, B5 being preferable. They may well have moved on in their tests, plus revisions to the pintle structure etc. in the injectors. But if I had say an '05 or '06 Duramax, I wouldn't, no way, take the chance. Best to call your manufacturer, give 'em the VIN, etc.

After all, a set of new injectors was then, retail ,about $2900 plus installation. On the other hand, the technically old (dinosauric, really) '96 Power Stroke IH in my F350 will probably run on squirrel squeezings. ("You worked for GM and drove a Ford?") Hey... what can I say? But my old Haybinder Motor just can't begin to meet the stringent new emissions requirements with it's ancient-tech injectors. Ditto on your equipment if it's say, older farm stuff.

Your government regulators have pretty much Scrwd ThPooch with these new ultra-regs.. and they are only getting more out of hand in the coming years! You'll soon enough be able to put your lips over your diesel truck's tailpipe, breath in, and notice how much better you feel! But at what cost $$$$$ to the consumer?

Enjoy. Think smaller!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Your government regulators have pretty much Scrwd ThPooch with these new ultra-regs.. and they are only getting more out of hand in the coming years!
That seems to be the general habit, I saw an interesting piece on 60 minutes a few years bak about a coal fired coal plant in Florida. It was a co-op serving a rural community and quite old. I beleive the time frame was during the Clinton administration they were discussing. They wanted to make some upgrades to make it more efficient which would have benefited both the environment and the customers. The EPA regulations said if they made X upgrade they also had to make all these other upgrades which the plant couldn't afford. End result was the plant went chugging along as is and probably still is. Makes sense doesn't it?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
what is obama gonna do with ethanol?

Is he gonna try and switch us off oil and completely on ethanol for transportation fuel?

what has he been saying in all the interviews?

or is he now saying he wants to do off-shore drilling
It takes significantly more energy to make ethanol than gasoline. But the green folks dont think like that. so we are mandated to produce 10% Etoh for fuel. A national energy policy may be an effective start. Maybe only 3 types of gasoline across the country...perhaps cleaning up some of the messes in the Clean Air Act.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I may stand corrected to some degree, as I retired from a position as a field engineer for GM/Isuzu, working daily with upset customers who ran anything over about 15 - 25% biodiesel in their Duramax or Isuzu diesels back in '04 through late '06. At that time, it caused unholy havoc, and GM's head engineering honchos told us, in no uncertain terms, to NOT warranty injectors subjected to anything over B10, B5 being preferable. They may well have moved on in their tests, plus revisions to the pintle structure etc. in the injectors. But if I had say an '05 or '06 Duramax, I wouldn't, no way, take the chance. Best to call your manufacturer, give 'em the VIN, etc.

After all, a set of new injectors was then, retail ,about $2900 plus installation. On the other hand, the technically old (dinosauric, really) '96 Power Stroke IH in my F350 will probably run on squirrel squeezings. ("You worked for GM and drove a Ford?") Hey... what can I say? But my old Haybinder Motor just can't begin to meet the stringent new emissions requirements with it's ancient-tech injectors. Ditto on your equipment if it's say, older farm stuff.

Your government regulators have pretty much Scrwd ThPooch with these new ultra-regs.. and they are only getting more out of hand in the coming years! You'll soon enough be able to put your lips over your diesel truck's tailpipe, breath in, and notice how much better you feel! But at what cost $$$$$ to the consumer?

Enjoy. Think smaller!

Frankly 56 of my 74 diesel units were installed before 1975 and range from 2000 to 10000 HP. some of the real old ones were designed to run on bunker C so I knew we could run anything in them. our new units are all Cats installed in the last 4 years ... we still don't have problems at the B20 leval.......

Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That seems to be the general habit, I saw an interesting piece on 60 minutes a few years bak about a coal fired coal plant in Florida. It was a co-op serving a rural community and quite old. I beleive the time frame was during the Clinton administration they were discussing. They wanted to make some upgrades to make it more efficient which would have benefited both the environment and the customers. The EPA regulations said if they made X upgrade they also had to make all these other upgrades which the plant couldn't afford. End result was the plant went chugging along as is and probably still is. Makes sense doesn't it?
Goggle "Big Stone 2"
Thats our coal plant project that is circleing the bowl as we speak... Same dealas you describe... the new plant includes upgrades to the old plant that would reeesult in less emmisions from the 2 combined then are currently coming from 1..... Friggen greenys are happy to let the old puke all day long but don't dare build a new one......

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Why not just use ethanol to fuel the shipment of ethanol by truck?

but let me ask you, how come gasoline can be pipelined so easily?

I mean Gasoline clugs up engines which is why you need to do an engine flush every now and then, why isnt that the same in a pipeline?

Doesnt gunk build up in those pipelines when oil flows through it?
It is the corrosiveness of ethnol that causes the pipeline problem. There is no problem with gasoline or crude. In fact they use a plug to sepearate different grades of product. Right now for example they are building a pipeline from canada to pipeline canadian sand tars to the gulf coast of Texas were they are doing extensive work on refineries there.If you look there are reports of the intsakes of flex-fuel vehicles witrh their use of E85 now. All intakes valves need to be cleaned every once in awhile on gasoline engines but more often in ethnol vehicles from reports.Its carbon buidup on valves that si being reported.It also does not have the energy content of gasoline which is why it gets less milage even in E85 form.That and its expoense to make are the proiblems. In pipeline they use a chaser plug to clean the line.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:20 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
The ethanol industry is big in Illinois. I hope Obama will have enough integrity to kick the ethanol lobbyists out the door instead of give in like he did in the Senate.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Looks like ethanol fuel may be in the cards:
Quote:
Obama on Wednesday placed two more supporters of the corn-based variety renewable fuel in his Cabinet by selecting former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack to lead the Agriculture Department and Sen. Ken Salazar (D-Colo.) as his Interior secretary.

They join incoming Energy Secretary Steven Chu, who has been an advocate for advancing cellulosic ethanol made from switch-grasses, wood chips and other inputs.

Rep. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.), another ethanol supporter and like Vilsack a corn-belt politician, may join Obama’s Cabinet as secretary of Transportation.

The president-elect himself is an advocate for ethanol and renewable fuels. Obama has supported the farm bill approved by Congress last year that boosted ethanol production, and he also backed energy legislation to strengthen renewable fuels. http://www.ewg.org/node/27472

Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
The ethanol industry is big in Illinois. I hope Obama will have enough integrity to kick the ethanol lobbyists out the door instead of give in like he did in the Senate.
I hope so, too. Ethanol is a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living