Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM

237 posts, read 1,062,500 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving to Florida and I'm trying to figure out how to avoid using chemicals as much as possible. I'm mainly concerned about the fertilizers/insecticides/pesticides that seems to be required since there are so many more bugs there than I'm used to. I have 2 dogs also and from what I've read, the fleas and ticks are really bad down there.

Currently, we live in upstate NY, so I only have to use Frontline a couple months in the spring and a couple months in the fall. I also don't fertilize my yard or use any weed killer or insecticides/pesticides. I'm buried in the trees, so my ugly yard doesn't annoy anyone. We don't have that many bugs and I don't want my dogs running around in all that stuff. Fleas aren't too bad, but we do have dear ticks that carry Lyme, which is why I put Frontline on at certain times.

So if anyone can give me some tips on some alternatives, I would really appreciate it. Seems most homes in the area(Florida)belong to HOA, so it seems I have no choice but to treat my yard with all kinds of chemicals. I also don't want my home to be infested with bugs. Seems like the dogs will have to be on year round Frontline also. I'm concerned for my children and the dogs so the less chemicals I can use, the better.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,255,511 times
If you maintain your yard properly, it is very easy to go without chemicals. i.e. mow the grass at the high setting in the fall and spring to shade out weeds. Don't overwater! leaving the grass dry for a bit (not to the point of death) will strengthen the root structure. Make sure you dethatch the lawn and aerate as needed. If you keep the yard mowed, you will probably never see ticks and keeping a few banana trees around will help with the fleas, but you might have to stick with the chemicals there(on the pets not the lawn).

Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM

555 posts, read 2,216,218 times
Here in Florida, we have mostly sandy soils that are excessively drained and are not very fertile, which is why some fertilzers are necessary. If you select native plants ad drought tolerant ground covers and grass, you can get by without too many chemicals and fertilizers. Unless you enjoy sharing your space with cockroaches, you will need pest control whether you do it yourself or hire someone.
if you want a vegetable garden, some crops like tomatoes and squash will need some natural pesticides.
Any garden in the native soil will need fertilzers - period.
I use front line on my dogs most of the year.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM

237 posts, read 1,062,500 times
Thank you for your tips. It's very helpful and keeps me realistic about having to use some chemicals. Some things I can tolerate more than others. Cockroaches is not one of them. Looks like I'll be growing some bananas as well. I wonder what other plants are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living