Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
You know what I look at them and always think the same thing. They are EXTREMELY TINY I can just imagine someone being CRUSHED TO DEATH. I would never get one of those not only because of the NOT FEELING SO SAFE but aren't they UGLY ASS HELL also?
I agree, hideously ugly and very tiny. I like my cars to weigh over 4,000 pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You think the Prius is tiny? How ignorant! It's actually classified as mid-sized, not compact.
Speaking of ignorant, the exterior dimensions of a car have little to do with whether the EPA classifies a car as compact, subcompact, mid-sized, etc. The classification is determined by combined interior room and cargo space. Surely you don't believe your Prius is larger than a Honda Accord Coupe, do you? Because the Accord Coupe is classified as a compact.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
The Prius is not a "small car", the current models weigh over 3,000 pounds....compared to 1,700 my wife's old beetle did.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM

65 posts, read 251,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Here's what I think sums up the whole hybrid thing. This is from the article you posted: The car had a "cute little body" that Riner loved, and she reveled in driving like a "nerdy Prius owner,"

I think many hybrid owners get a kick out of saying I own a hybrid. To me it's a yuppie thing.

Also, I am leary of the whole "green movement". Does it include low-income people? Because anything green related is expensive. Just my observation.
I see the Greenies as more as Early adopters. As the prices come down. you will see more and more Low income people jump into green products and technoligy. I am on Social Security Disability. I can't drive but I do have an Adult Trike, No motor on mine. but then again.... Try to buy solar panels big enought to run my Imac G3 or my 6000 BTU Air Conditioner.... WAYYYYY to expensive! I did phase out Incandesants , went with CFLs, switched to recycled paper towels and Toilet Paper. I have used Greenworks products to actually clean my Oriental rug in my bedroom. (works great. just rinse it out afterwards.) Sadly some of these products ARE expensive. Family Dollar (In Winsted) doesn't sell Green products. but CVS and Winsted Super Saver do stock them.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
The Prius is not a "small car", the current models weigh over 3,000 pounds....compared to 1,700 my wife's old beetle did.
3,000 lbs is pretty light by today's standards.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
3,000 lbs is pretty light by today's standards.
Standards for 4 door cars? The top selling cars (Accord, Camry, Corolla, Civic, etc...) weight around 2600-3500 lbs.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 PM

The Accord and Camry weigh well over 3000 pounds. The Civic and Corolla are small cars by today's standards.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Could be worse, could be the smart car "...in an April 2009 40mph frontal offset crash test between a Fortwo and a Mercedes C class, the IIHS rated the Smart Fortwo "Poor," noting that "Multiple injuries, including to the head, would be likely for a real-world driver of a Smart in a similar collision."

Where the collision picked the car up and flipped it around...I'd take the Prius over that.

http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4404.pdf

Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
I see the Greenies as more as Early adopters. As the prices come down. you will see more and more Low income people jump into green products and technoligy. I am on Social Security Disability. I can't drive but I do have an Adult Trike, No motor on mine. but then again.... Try to buy solar panels big enought to run my Imac G3 or my 6000 BTU Air Conditioner.... WAYYYYY to expensive! I did phase out Incandesants , went with CFLs, switched to recycled paper towels and Toilet Paper. I have used Greenworks products to actually clean my Oriental rug in my bedroom. (works great. just rinse it out afterwards.) Sadly some of these products ARE expensive. Family Dollar (In Winsted) doesn't sell Green products. but CVS and Winsted Super Saver do stock them.
If you have Trader Joes, they have a wonderful cleaner which is their own brand. Its called Cederwood and Sage multipurpose cleaner. It does have an oil so for some things it might not work, but I clean everything including windows with it. It does them beautifully. Having come close to running out a friend in Arizona is shipping me some (they don't sell online which is ashamed).

I agree about cost. I'm also on disability and while the cost of living here is sooo much less it makes up for getting less, I see all the new products and can only dream. I could drive out of the madness that is socal traffic but how to afford a car? Those TINY little electric ones they have now are cheap, but where do you put your groceries, your dog, the stuff from the hardware store. And even in the highway traffic here I would NEVER drive something so tiny and vulnerable. I like the idea of something being green but would feel a lot safer in a nice metal car where I'm not smashed next to the door.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Accord and Camry weigh well over 3000 pounds. The Civic and Corolla are small cars by today's standards.
Again, what do you mean by today's standards? How is 3400 pounds well over 3000 pounds? An Accord is 3300 pounds, how is that "well over 3000 pounds?"

These are the top selling cars out there (non truck/suv). All of these cars used to be a lot smaller in the 90's and 80's. Take a look at Civic from 20 years ago. Many smaller cars are popular, like Yaris, Fit, Mini, etc...

Here is the list of car sales. Aside from the trucks, the cars are not "huge."

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...p-10-best.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living