Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Fail again, an investors only concern is the bottom line. A project that runs over budget is still receiving massive subsidies ultimately absorbing those costs. Private investment would dry up in a heartbeat without the subsidies.
Repeat after me. Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Repeat after me. Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade, Cap & Trade,
Your incite into these issues is astounding. Now we're getting somewhere, you are correct in addition to the huge subsidies we need to create an artificial market for this energy because even with the subsidies they still cannot stand on their own two feet.

Thanks again for making some great points.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Lot of talk, not anybody actually committed to building a plant. During that time way more wind capacity is brought on line each year ~ 8,000 MW last year alone.

I'm all for companies stepping up and building nukes as long as they bear the risk of cost overruns. IMO nuclear is an acceptable technology.
They're just waiting for Uncle Sugar to sign off on it. It's going to go up if you like it or not........

Georgia PSC Approves Georgia Power’s Vogtle Reactors :: POWER Magazine

March 18, 2009
Georgia PSC Approves Georgia Power’s Vogtle Reactors

POWERnews

Georgia’s Public Service Commission (PSC) on Tuesday voted 4–1 in support of plans by Southern Co. subsidiary Georgia Power to build two reactors at the Vogtle nuclear power plant site.
The decision means that the utility can begin building its nuclear plant in two years, as long as it secures approval from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). Southern Co. filed for a combined construction and operating license in March 2008. That review is expected to take a minimum of three years to complete.
The Georgia House approved a bill earlier this month that authorizes Georgia Power to collect in advance from ratepayers some of the $6.4 billion it will cost to build the plant.
On Tuesday, a majority of the commission adopted a motion by Commissioner Stan Wise to allow the company to recover the cost of financing the plant during construction, known as Construction Work in Progress or CWIP. The PSC also approved a recommendation for the company and the PSC staff to work together to develop an alternative risk-sharing mechanism to provide some protection from significant cost overruns to ratepayers.
“CWIP will save customers money and better ensure that the creditworthiness of the Company can withstand the financing of these costs, which again saves customers money,” Commissioner Wise said in a press release (PDF) Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Actually my54ford he may be right but for the wrong reasons. As the Cap and Tax bill stands nuclear energy will not fall into the "renewable" category (neither does Hyrdo) and these power companies are going to have to build wind and solar generation. Not only is coal being taken off the table with this bill but if the bill stands as it written right now it will effectively kill any reason to build a nuke because they will be forced to invest into wind and solar. It will be irrelevant what is more cost effective. the nuke plant could cost $1 and it still won't matter.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
They're just waiting for Uncle Sugar to sign off on it. It's going to go up if you like it or not........
I'm on record as being fine with nuclear. I hope they can do a better job of cost control than they did with Vogtle I & II. Those ran Billions over budget.

Interesting sidebar Plant Vogtle is named after Alvin Votgle, a Southern Company Chairman, who was the person that Steve McQueen's character was based on in the movie, "The Great Escape"

Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
The licensing process has been changed at the NRC. It's now one stop. If you come in with a plan, and it is approved, all you have to do is demonstrate that you built the plant per the specs.

I see absolutely no point in risking a lot of public money to push a technology that has been around for 50 years. Nuclear needs to stand on it's own. It's gotten 50 years of help. That should be enough. If a company like Duke is too worried about the risk to move forward, maybe we should listen to them.

The government does need to honor its commitment to take the spent fuel.
Sure...............one stop. After you wade through the myriad Enviro garbage and all the court injuctions sure to filed against any proposed nuke plant.......................

Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
translated.........Cap & Tax, Cap & Tax, Cap & Tax..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living