Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Pretty damning article. Here is a taste.
Someone who doesn't believe in global warning (caused by humans) doesn't have good things to say about a hybrid car. Why is that not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Unless they get the battery charge time up, there will never be an electric car...you'd hit the range limit and sit there for 6 hours waiting for it to charge. You could never take a cross country trip, or even move in a reasonable amount of time.
Depends on when technology will improve. "Ultracapacitors" have been around for a bit, but are too expensive and big right now, but they charge very quickly. If they can be built smaller and cheaper then they would be very useful.

For Cars of the Future, Will Batteries Be Required?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Depends on when technology will improve. "Ultracapacitors" have been around for a bit, but are too expensive and big right now, but they charge very quickly. If they can be built smaller and cheaper then they would be very useful.

For Cars of the Future, Will Batteries Be Required?
I also think that there is room in the car market for different purpose vehicles. Electric cars make great sense for around-town short-commute cars: urban and suburban vehicles. In-town parking garages are easily equipped with charging stations, although one of the high spots of an electric car is that they can be charged at night, in off-peak times, with the current electric grid/generation scheme. As far as pollution, it's MUCH easier to deal with the major point source of the power generation system than it is each and every vehicle.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Someone who doesn't believe in global warning (caused by humans) doesn't have good things to say about a hybrid car. Why is that not surprising.
You can believe whatever rantings al-Gore spews. There is no consensus, the UN body are just a bunch of cackling hens only concerned with their bottom line, al-Gore is concerned with his bottom line and sucks down enormous amounts of power laying down huge carbon footprints while decrying the evils of said carbon.

I myself would prefer a warmer world. Longer growing seasons, more food, less disease yet the climate alarmists seem to prefer to freeze to death.

And a hybrid car wouldn't work where I live. A friend of mine is in current litigation with Toyota over his Prius. He drives it on gravel roads (all we have where I live) and was assured it would be no problem. The car was too delicate and shook itself to pieces. Toyota won't honor the warranty and he sued.

Besides, no one will dictate what I drive. I drive what I please and how often I please. And I fly my own twin engine plane as often as I please wherever I please.

Humans aren't changing jack and there are reams of history to prove that.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM
f_m

Quote:

Humans aren't changing jack and there are reams of history to prove that.
You forgot about pollution of the air, water, and land. People seem to forget that over consumption of resources leads to excess pollution. The skies of Los Angeles are not exactly clear, and most larger cities in developing countries are much worse. The waters on the coast of many large cities are not "crystal clear" and not particularly suitable for swimming. How did that happen?

Hybrids reduce emitted pollutions that contribute to those health hazards. Aside from that, people spend a lot on things just for the sake of "appearance." If you question the issue of hybrid cars and their building process, why not the issue of importing granite from overseas so someone can have a "nice" looking kitchen. Or the purchase of stainless steel appliances, which only provide a different appearance, and not function, compared to other appliances. Stainless steel uses 2/3 of the world's nickel, so all those stainless appliances probably contribute as much to the nickel mining/transporting process as nickel batteries, but at least the batteries allow storing and use of energy that would otherwise be wasted.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Last i heard the elctric was good for 40 miles.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
You forgot about pollution of the air, water, and land. People seem to forget that over consumption of resources leads to excess pollution. The skies of Los Angeles are not exactly clear, and most larger cities in developing countries are much worse. The waters on the coast of many large cities are not "crystal clear" and not particularly suitable for swimming. How did that happen?
What does that have to do al-Gore's continual lies or the lie of AGW?

Quote:
Hybrids reduce emitted pollutions that contribute to those health hazards. Aside from that, people spend a lot on things just for the sake of "appearance." If you question the issue of hybrid cars and their building process, why not the issue of importing granite from overseas so someone can have a "nice" looking kitchen. Or the purchase of stainless steel appliances, which only provide a different appearance, and not function, compared to other appliances. Stainless steel uses 2/3 of the world's nickel, so all those stainless appliances probably contribute as much to the nickel mining/transporting process as nickel batteries, but at least the batteries allow storing and use of energy that would otherwise be wasted.
Oh sure. But the majority of people are not going to change the way they live. The hybrid is a flash in the pants.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Just what do you do with all those batteries when they are replaced?

My understanding is they are not very recyclable.

And the electric car is a joke................where does the power come to charge it?
I'm trying to figure out if the latter is a legitimate question or what it seems to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Unless they get the battery charge time up, there will never be an electric car...you'd hit the range limit and sit there for 6 hours waiting for it to charge. You could never take a cross country trip, or even move in a reasonable amount of time.
What makes this trip possible is "thinking ahead". If you can't do that you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive a car. Any car.

A very interesting thread. More out of fear for the state of the educational system than any intelligent discourse.

Like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know what's going to happen next, but you can't believe they're really going to do it.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:44 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
If you think the Honda is bad, wait a few years for the crap GM is going to be offering.
The US auto industry is officially going straight into the toilet. Those imports are going to look mighty good.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:46 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
About electric cars, what about winters and heaters? Won't they drain the battery running a heater or will the electric motor generate heat and be utilized that way? How about air conditioning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living