Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just what do you do with all those batteries when they are replaced?

My understanding is they are not very recyclable.

And the electric car is a joke................where does the power come to charge it?
From an outlet, just like when you charge up your cell phone or your laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Out of nothing but curiousity I went and looked at this ... "car".

There is not a snow balls chance in hell I'd buy it -

If I'm out buying a car - I want one that will get up and go and go and go. If I have to put gas in it - fine. But, I want a car with power and ride comfort. And the Insight has neither.

As for an electric car? I won't spend $40,000 on one to only be able to drive it a 100 miles between charge ups! That is plumb stupid! I do lots of cross country driving - and will commonly do 600 / 700 miles a day.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
Surprisingly, my Dad said he might look at one to replace his mid-nineties Lincoln Town Car. Quite a change, but the car before that was an '86 Accord, so he may be cool with it. It'll be interesting to get his take on it if he does give one a test drive.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Out of nothing but curiousity I went and looked at this ... "car".

There is not a snow balls chance in hell I'd buy it -

If I'm out buying a car - I want one that will get up and go and go and go. If I have to put gas in it - fine. But, I want a car with power and ride comfort. And the Insight has neither.

As for an electric car? I won't spend $40,000 on one to only be able to drive it a 100 miles between charge ups! That is plumb stupid! I do lots of cross country driving - and will commonly do 600 / 700 miles a day.
Good luck when gas is $5., $6, $7, $8, /gal in the not too distant future.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Good luck when gas is $5., $6, $7, $8, /gal in the not too distant future.
I still will have the needs that something like the insight cannot fill.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What makes this trip possible is "thinking ahead". If you can't do that you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive a car. Any car.

A very interesting thread. More out of fear for the state of the educational system than any intelligent discourse.
How can one "Think Ahead" their way out of a 6 hour recharge? If you cars range is 150 miles, even "Thinking Ahead" you would be stuck in a truck stop waiting for the car to recharge for 6 hours (if you can even find that now). At a conservative 60 miles an hour, that's equivalent to driving 17.5 miles an hour in 8.5 hours. So in a real example I moved 1,400 miles, that would take about 80 hours of driving and recharging (taking meals and sleep during the recharge times) which I did in my car in about 24 hours (we shifted drivers, the car didn't care how long we went)...nearly 3.5 times longer.

Want intelligent discourse, figure out how to do high school algebra before fearing about the state of the educational system

There are certainly technologies that look good that are coming up...high speed charging, switching batteries at stations, high speed capacitors.

Last edited by subsound; 06-03-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
But that is a false argument. The electric car is not meant to replace ALL cars. It's not meant to be a distance car. The average US commute is 33 miles, round-trip, per day. Add errands and you are recharging the car every other day at most. Certainly there are people for whom that doesn't work, but there are huge numbers of drivers for whom it does.

I have an SUV that I use as a tow vehicle - when we moved, we hauled loads of goods, when we built the house we hauled building materials and landscape materials. Now that those uses are behind me, we're probably going to sell it and buy something smaller because we can borrow a neighbor's (just as he borrows our Kubota tractor) or rent as we need it.

Rejecting a temporary solution because it isn't one-size fits all is very sort-sighted. Certainly electric cars have a number of problems, greatest of which is that the power grid in many places is already in trouble, and even with night, off-peak charging a large number of electric cars might strain that too far.

But the state of our electric grid is a national disgrace anyway and something the stimulus is targeted to fix.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But that is a false argument. The electric car is not meant to replace ALL cars. It's not meant to be a distance car. The average US commute is 33 miles, round-trip, per day. Add errands and you are recharging the car every other day at most. Certainly there are people for whom that doesn't work, but there are huge numbers of drivers for whom it does.
Hummm, yes and no really...most of what people drive is to and from work.

On the other hand if you are paying $25k for a car with a choice of either gas or electric, would you want that limitation that you cannot take long trips with it and takes 3 times longer to move? To have a hauling/long distance car a family would be forced to own two vehicles (one for short trips and one for long, of course many have 2 anyways) or rent one...is that less wasteful then having one car, to cut consumption, that can do both? Even if one takes the electric car on long trips, I have not seen a filling station with a place to plug in.

It just seems to me like things are not set for electric cars just yet, things look good for the future of it but I'm not going to sell my car and buy one till things are set. I'm not really going to take the frustration of pioneering it, let the early adopters pay the premium and work out the bugs.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I'd definitely agree that a single-car household is not going to choose an electric car. On the other hand, here is a study on car-owning by US households:

Study Finds Americans Own 2.28 Vehicles Per Household - AutoSpies Auto News

Average number of cars per US household: 2.28
% of households with 1 car - 34 %
% of households with 2 cars - 31%
% of households with 3+ cars - 35%

Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd definitely agree that a single-car household is not going to choose an electric car. On the other hand, here is a study on car-owning by US households:

Study Finds Americans Own 2.28 Vehicles Per Household - AutoSpies Auto News

Average number of cars per US household: 2.28
% of households with 1 car - 34 %
% of households with 2 cars - 31%
% of households with 3+ cars - 35%

Me and my boyfriend each have cars, and we use mine far more often than his. When he gets a new car (in the next 1-5 years, as budget permits) he wants to get an electric car. We carpool to work which is about 40 miles round trip and the only grocery store in town is less than 5 miles away . We can always take my car on longer trips, and his car for work and errands.

Oh, and I ADORE Jeremy Clarkson, although I've had a crush on Richard Hammond for many years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living