Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

I thought the biggest digs the show got in were about the purity ball movement. The green family was somewhat clueless at times but generally well-meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:33 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Bluepacific,

I've heard all my life that the earth was in trouble...and guess what we're still here...don't worry the sky isn't falling... just relax have a latte----enjoy life...:-)
I've heard the same thing all my life, too; and while the sky isn't falling I have observed things getting worse. I guess it's just a matter of perspective. I'd personally not like to be another part of the problem. Even if there isn't a "solution", it's pretty obvious that being less wasteful and conscious certainly couldn't hurt.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Definitely third this one. Keep the political stuff in the obnoxious Politics forum, and leave Green Living for actual discussions of Green Living.
Hear hear - another vote for keeping the anti-green stuff on the politics forum and leaving one small corner of the forums to people who want to discuss earth-friendly ideas not slam them.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Hear hear - another vote for keeping the anti-green stuff on the politics forum and leaving one small corner of the forums to people who want to discuss earth-friendly ideas not slam them.
And this basically seems to be the problem with this sub-forum - Green Living section. Rather than the usual Eco-Tech Ideas that would normally be shared for making homes more energy efficient, for sharing personal experiences on what some have actually accomplished, it's becomes a haven and platform for those whose goal is nothing more than to make fun of and otherwise put down any ideas of Green Living. There are not only the Politics and Other Controversies section, but also the Great Debates section just above this Green Living sub-forum for all that conspiracy crap.

Apparently this sub-forum is not Moderated by anyone, or at least I have'nt noticed any. Maybe the responsibility is shared by some other Mods from other forums. But it seems these constant rants and degredation agendas of a minority play out here and stifle any type of possitive Green Living discussion. Hopefully that will change soon.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Well sadly it exploits the extremist kooks of the environmentalist crowd and makes light of the real serious threats that the planet's ecosystems actually face. Making the quick buck is the order of the day. Most scientists who work with various differing fields of expertise all agree on one thing. They all agree the Earth is in trouble and that any ideas they propose to reverse things are only temporary stopgap measures. They know that even if they have the primo idea, there is no guarantee that human society will get on board and impliment the ideas, or change their habits.

The Green Sub-Forum is usually anything but possitive discussion for GREEN SOLUTIONS . Generally a put down platform of any ideas for a healthier planet and that's really ashame.
I am sure that you are sincere in your beliefs, but the Earth isn't in trouble, we are.

There have been Ice Ages, Ice Melting over and over for millions of years. The fact that we keep track of weather for the last hundred years isn't even a blink in the eye of time for the planet.

Places in the Arctic have oil there, why? Because at one time in the Earth's past, those areas were once very warm swamps that grew plants which in turn became buried over the eons and now frozen wastelands by comparison.

In my life time, the "Eco" experts, claimed that by the year 2000 we were going to have Glaciers coming out of the Mountains around Anchorage... didn't happen, but the hysteria was there and being taught in schools in the 60's, now it is just Global Warming that has changed to Climate Change because the warming didn't happen as planned.

Get a cold glass of wine and watch the Sun set as it has done lone before we were here, and will do so long after we are gone and are part of the next oil field that whatever takes our place will use for energy.

What is driving the Eco crowds at the bottom is a belief that the Earth is in trouble, what is driving the Eco crowd at the top is the quest for easy money and they have a great following.

Mountains are a good example of what to expect, the fact that you can see them is because the ice ages have receded and left them with massive valleys and sharp jagged peaks carved by the ice as time goes by, they are worn down to hills.

Worry about some guys with a towel on their head bringing a Nuke into a major city and setting it off under the guise that they are going to get a lot of virgins... That is what is scary....

This is a photo of Mt. McKinley during the summer, the river looking thing is a Glacier as well as a bunch of smaller ones, they come and go as the Earth sees fit, or in acordance to the sun's solar flairs that do more for climate change in a day than what man could do in a thousand years!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
And this basically seems to be the problem with this sub-forum - Green Living section. Rather than the usual Eco-Tech Ideas that would normally be shared for making homes more energy efficient, for sharing personal experiences on what some have actually accomplished, it's becomes a haven and platform for those whose goal is nothing more than to make fun of and otherwise put down any ideas of Green Living. There are not only the Politics and Other Controversies section, but also the Great Debates section just above this Green Living sub-forum for all that conspiracy crap.

Apparently this sub-forum is not Moderated by anyone, or at least I have'nt noticed any. Maybe the responsibility is shared by some other Mods from other forums. But it seems these constant rants and degredation agendas of a minority play out here and stifle any type of possitive Green Living discussion. Hopefully that will change soon.
I disagree. Although many posts here do degenerate into pissing match's usually driving by professionally unsubstantiated know it all fanatics who have an agenda ......This is the exact place to discuss the pros and cons of green living............just wait a minute and you'll see what I mean......

Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 AM

288 posts, read 917,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Bluepacific,

I've heard all my life that the earth was in trouble...and guess what we're still here...don't worry the sky isn't falling... just relax have a latte----enjoy life...:-)
T&C, you have NOT been alive very long at all. The earth as we know it IS in trouble, but thankfully it's not spiraling down fast in terms of human years or we'd really be screwed.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:10 AM

664 posts, read 773,496 times
The Earth will be here a long long time after we are gone. The environmental wackos who try to say that the Earth is somehow in danger of being destroyed are truly nuts.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Starlite - I agree that we're in trouble and we're the problem. I'm a firm believer in Green Living, but I don't subscribe to every theory and bit of hoopla out there. I don't think humans are causing climate change, maybe just exacerbating it; but I think that climate change will affect us greatly so we better start learning to live less wastefully now. We aren't nomads who could pick up and move to greener pastures like our ancestors were the last time this happened, and there are a heck of a lot more of us to feed and shelter this time around.

I do believe that we are poisoning many of the Earth's ecosystems with our chemicals and garbage... but I believe this because I've seen it happen in my own little ecosystem, not just because someone on the news told me. I think this is the major drawback with Green being the hype these days. All the media attention can be misleading, and I do think many people are using it just to make some more money. It's a shame really, because the real heart of Green Living is doing more with less and enjoying the simpler things in life. I'm glad that there are companies out there that are trying to use recycled materials and less chemicals and alternative energy... but the advertising gets a little old and doing the right thing doesn't automatically mean you should get to charge more for your products.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
The Earth will be here a long long time after we are gone. The environmental wackos who try to say that the Earth is somehow in danger of being destroyed are truly nuts.
I think that's an unfortunate example of sensationalized spin. The truth is, the Earth is in little danger of being destroyed by us and that, barring something extremely catastrophic, Nature will take everything back over and continue on long after after we are gone.

The real issue is that we are in danger of making the Earth uninhabitable and unhospitable for US HUMANS and all the other species that we rely on for survival. We are in danger of over-consuming the resources we have available, such that it becomes very difficult for us to survive without making serious changes. It's not so much about "Save the Earth" as "Save the Humans".

Why wait until it's imperative... why not start being more mindful now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living