Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:40 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,983 times

Advertisements

Really Bluepacific

Quote:
It reminds me of those debates years ago of those Cigarette Companies and their own hired and employed Scientists & Doctors before those congressional sub-commitees giving testimony about how they believed cigarette smoking was'nt harmful.
And what happened... did the liberals in Washington ban smoking..."NO"...they taxed cigarettes..lined their pockets and squandered the rest...Just so concerned about the general publics health...RIGHT...smile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yet.
I though Montana was seceding. You don't ever need to worry about taxes. I'm sure the People's Republic of Montana will decide not to impose any taxes at all. BTW when is Montana leaving, I'd like to schedule a trip to watch.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
you realise that al gores views on the environment are considered mainstream by everybody else in this world , don't you?

you are a typical american, 5% of the world is always right, 95% of the world is always wrong.
Considered mainstream by the people of the world or by the "powers that be"?

So should the US emulate policies/actions that aren't working in other countries so they can not work here?

For example:
* EU countries are finding targets are impossible to meet
* European households have seen electricity bills rise.
* Europe has become more dependent on Russian gas.
Then there is the situation in Spain. MURRAY/CALZADA/STAGNARO: Lessons from Europe - Washington Times

Quote:
The rhetoric from the EU may sound nice, but when it comes to translating words into action, Europe has shown that the job is harder than it looks. EU member states have found it very difficult to reduce emissions, meet renewable energy targets or create lasting green jobs.

The European Union has had a cap-and-trade scheme for greenhouse gas emissions in place for several years now, but has failed to make much dent in emissions. MURRAY/CALZADA/STAGNARO: Lessons from Europe - Washington Times
Quote:
The scheme has been repeatedly gamed and manipulated by industry and governments so that emissions have actually increased faster than the those of the United States, with none of the big reductions promised materializing. Industries have enjoyed windfall profits from emission credit trading, and some U.S. firms also have hoped to cash in - Enron and more recently Lehman Brothers were major proponents of American adoption of cap-and-trade policies.
MURRAY/CALZADA/STAGNARO: Lessons from Europe - Washington Times
Quote:
Spain's former conservative prime minister José Maria Aznar stunned the audience at the launch of a book opposing the notion that human activity is causing climate change. He compared environmentalists to Communists.
France 24 | Aznar questions global warming | France 24
Quote:
Every “green job” created with government money in Spain over the last eight years came at the cost of 2.2 regular jobs, and only one in 10 of the newly created green jobs became a permanent job, says a new study released this month. The study draws parallels with the green jobs programs of the Obama administration. CNSNews.com - Green Stimulus Money Costs More Jobs Than It Creates, Study Shows (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=46453 - broken link)
Quote:
Meeting renewable energy targets has been no walk in the park, either. Leaked British government documents reveal how meeting the target of 20 percent of all energy being from renewable sources by 2020 is next to impossible. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/01/lessons-from-europe/
Quote:
Indeed, former Business Secretary John Hutton hinted that Prime Minister Gordon Brown should join with more skeptical European countries, such as Poland, to lobby for a reduction in the targets. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/01/lessons-from-europe/

Old 05-30-2009, 08:44 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Really Bluepacific

And what happened... did the liberals in Washington ban smoking..."NO"...they taxed cigarettes..lined their pockets and squandered the rest...Just so concerned about the general publics health...RIGHT...smile
That's a very good point. The primary goal here is not to reduce greenhouse gases, but to raise revenue. In the case of cigarettes, if the concern was really genuine on people's health, they would have banned the product rather than tax it.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I though Montana was seceding. You don't ever need to worry about taxes. I'm sure the People's Republic of Montana will decide not to impose any taxes at all. BTW when is Montana leaving, I'd like to schedule a trip to watch.
Now you are being obtuse.

And I always worry about my bottom line. I do my level best to minimize the hits to my pocket book by salivating politicians. Any and every tax credit I can wrangle, I go for.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Your taxes haven't increased.
The Global Warming idiots want to tax cow farts, for crying out loud.

TAXING COW FARTS (http://www.nyrealestatelawblog.com/2008/12/taxing_cow_farts.html - broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,983 times
Omaha Rocks,

You've got to understand the liberal mind...political madness...

Veteran psychiatrist calls liberals mentally ill...

Veteran psychiatrist calls liberals mentally ill

Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
The Global Warming idiots want to tax cow farts, for crying out loud.

TAXING COW FARTS (http://www.nyrealestatelawblog.com/2008/12/taxing_cow_farts.html - broken link)
It's burps not farts, by and large, but your problem with that is what?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
It's burps not farts, by and large, but your problem with that is what?
Its farts.

Cows by and large don't fart when they are allowed to graze. But before they are shipped off to market, they are grain fed to fatten them and thereby increase their value not to mention increase their flavor. Its the grain that causes them to fart.

My steers are grass fed by and large. The cost of grain is getting prohibitive, including corn feed due to that lunacy of ethanol. Except that one or two steers that will be used for my consumption that I grain feed with rolled peas, corn and barley with some oats. Man you should hear them. Non stop farting. And again those steers that I will have for my consumption don't get hormone shots that also keep their weight on. But those that I send to market are dosed.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
What a very sad thread this is and how far OT it's gone in such a short time span. This debate (if that's what you want to call it) will never end.

Those of us who care will continue to do what we do in whatever way we can to preserve the integrity of earth but I think we know that it's basically a no-win situation when all is said and done. Cheers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living