Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I always look to see if the fuel I'm buying has ethanol in it. This heavily subsidized super lame tree hugger eco-idiocy takes US grain that could be used to feed starving people in the third world, processes it into a low-yield fuel using enormous quantities of water. The end result is a marginal automotive fuel that uses more energy to process it than is present in the final product.
Actually, pretty much everything you claimed in this post is inaccurate.

You do know, don't you, that the processed corn is still used for feed?

If you do, you're smarter than the the
Exxon Mobil Corp. Chairman and CEO Lee Raymond - who made a completely false and misleading statement (in 2004) that too many gullible people have taken as gospel truth.

Do you suppose that the chairman & CEO of Exxon/Mobil has a vested interest in trash-talking ethanol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
I have 5 gallon buckets in my shower I use to catch the h2O when its getting warm or running off of me then carry them to the washing machine and use them there. It saves about 5 gallons per shower. I also only turn the water on when I am actually using it in the shower. When I'm soaping up, scrubbing my hair or whatever I turn off the water.. Family thinks I'm weird but every little bit helps
We also already have rain collectors on our down spouts and use to water our garden with them.
Have you seen the new toilet/sink combos? They look cool... Maybe in our next house...
I'm not sure I ever use anywhere near 5 gallons of water when I shower. I have an efficiency shower head, and I just don't spent large amounts of time in the shower.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Use water like you were living on a ship.

Check your water laws, particularily in the West, to see if it is legal to collect your roof and drive way runoff. Somebody may already own that water.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM

278 posts, read 1,001,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm not sure I ever use anywhere near 5 gallons of water when I shower. I have an efficiency shower head, and I just don't spent large amounts of time in the shower.
We live in Michigan and the hubby seems to use the shower in the winter time as his personal steam bath.. So I collect his wasted water and reuse it. Not everyone is frugal.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post

We live in Michigan and the hubby seems to use the shower in the winter time as his personal steam bath.. So I collect his wasted water and reuse it. Not everyone is frugal.
I'm trying to imagine how that would work, and I just can't.

I use a front-loading washing machine, so saving shower water for the washing machine wouldn't work for me. But it's a great idea for people with top-loaders.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm trying to imagine how that would work, and I just can't.

I use a front-loading washing machine, so saving shower water for the washing machine wouldn't work for me. But it's a great idea for people with top-loaders.
Yeah we have an old school one.. Oh well.. plan on moving so getting a water saving one wouldnt be economical for us.. But we will at our new place then I'll figure out something else to use it for.... Maybe for our larger garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living