Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is the most ecologically friendly?
High-density urban core full of skyscrapers (but also plenty of parks and trees) 3 15.00%
A dense neighborhood but with mixed-use, midrise buildings 9 45.00%
A sprawling suburb that has lots of trees and nature but is autocentric & has big houses 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That depends on your definition of gas guzzler.

Personally, I think anything that gets less than 20 mpg kind of falls into that category.

Where would you draw the line, and label something a gas guzzler?
Then, by your definition, my statement is even that much stronger. There are VERY few "gas guzzler" suv's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then, by your definition, my statement is even that much stronger. There are VERY few "gas guzzler" suv's.
Suburbans
Excursions
Expeditions
Explorers
Tahoes
Monteros
Land Cruisers
Durangos
Grand Cherokees
Commanders
Navigators
Mountaineers
Yukons
Envoys
4Runners
Sequoias
Touaregs
Hummers
XC 90s
Q7s
Cayennes
Armadas
Land Rovers
QX 56s

That seems like a LOT of SUVs - and all of them with a HIGHWAY rating of less than 20 mpg..

Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Suburbans
Excursions
Expeditions
Explorers
Tahoes
Monteros
Land Cruisers
Durangos
Grand Cherokees
Commanders
Navigators
Mountaineers
Yukons
Envoys
4Runners
Sequoias
Touaregs
Hummers
XC 90s
Q7s
Cayennes
Armadas
Land Rovers
QX 56s

That seems like a LOT of SUVs - and all of them with a HIGHWAY rating of less than 20 mpg..
Now - why don't you compare that list with mini vans and some family sedans - you might find that there are a whole bunch of these vehicles with gas mileage LESS THAN the 20 mpg you mentioned - why don't people such as yourself, complain about THESE vehicles?

Why?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Now - why don't you compare that list with mini vans and some family sedans - you might find that there are a whole bunch of these vehicles with gas mileage LESS THAN the 20 mpg you mentioned - why don't people such as yourself, complain about THESE vehicles?

Why?
What are you getting so mad about? YOU are the one who claimed that "very few" SUVs are gas guzzlers. That was YOU, so the topic turned to SUVs.

I said that in my view, anything with a mileage less than 20 mpg is a gas guzzler. I then asked what you think?

So now I've given a list of SUVs, all with a highway mileage of less than 20 mpg, and you're mad at me? Sheesh!

Sure, let's talk about sedans, trucks and minivans that are gas guzzlers. I don't care!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
What are you getting so mad about?
I'm not getting mad! For goodness sake -

My POINT is - there are far more CARS that are, by your definition, gas guzzlers - yet no one complains about them. They ONLY complain about the few SUV's that are "gas guzzlers".

Why is that?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not getting mad! For goodness sake -

My POINT is - there are far more CARS that are, by your definition, gas guzzlers - yet no one complains about them. They ONLY complain about the few SUV's that are "gas guzzlers".

Why is that?
And once again, I'll ask you what your definition of a gas guzzler. What is the MPG rating that YOU think qualifies it as a gas guzzler.

I'll also remind you that it was YOU that brought up SUVs.

As for cars, you say there are "far more" CARS that are gas guzzlers than SUVs? I'd like to know which ones those are. Would you list all the cars that get lower than 20 mpg? I know there are sports cars that applies to, but I'd like to know just what cars those are.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM

411 posts, read 1,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I think the only way, with our current living system, to "mesh with nature" is to live mostly self sufficient in a rural area. Not everyone can do that, and sprawl has about as many or more negative effects as city dwelling. Basically, at current capacity we can only fight an up hill battle to try to mesh with nature. I think either city dwelling or suburban living is close to equally as bad and we shouldn't be saying one is better than the other or telling people they should live in one place or the other. As we continue to advance in regards to reducing our impact, it will be applied to all areas of living.
IMO, everyone living in off the land in rural areas would be a step back for humanity. I mean, what fun would that be if there were no place to connect with others, share different cultures, enjoy entertainment, etc. Everyone living off the land in a rural area is just not an option for the majority of the developed world.

As for sprawl vs. city living, why do you think city dwelling has as many or even more negative effects than sprawl??!! Have you not heard about all of sprawl's negative effects on the environment?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
As for sprawl vs. city living, why do you think city dwelling has as many or even more negative effects than sprawl??!! Have you not heard about all of sprawl's negative effects on the environment?
We see "immigrants" from the east coast - NYC, Baltimore, Chicago etc who do not want to live on top of one another - hence why they do not want to live in high density areas. They want the "elbow room" that surburbia can bring.

In areas like Phoenix there is no real desire to build such high density projects, particularily in down town areas in any great numbers.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,215 times
Quote:
We see "immigrants" from the east coast - NYC, Baltimore, Chicago etc who do not want to live on top of one another - hence why they do not want to live in high density areas. They want the "elbow room" that surburbia can bring.

In areas like Phoenix there is no real desire to build such high density projects, particularily in down town areas in any great numbers.
That doesn't make suburbia sustainable.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
That doesn't make suburbia sustainable.
In your mind - what does "sustainable" mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living