Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Sorry but they do-that's why they are used, plus the battery animals are so stressed their immune system doesn't function correctly and they are prone to infections.They add them to the feed.
I believe what he was saying is that anti-biotics don't cause animals to grow faster or more and that is true. In industrial farming where there is an over crowding of any type of animal population, disease's from bacteria or viruses due to close contact with excessive fecal matter can be an issue and hence the anti-biotics to boost the immune systems.

The issue with Dairy being given anti-biotics was necessary because with the larger utters resulting from the increased size due to the new hormone, combated the infections resulting from bruises incurred by the animal's own legs by act of walking and hitting the utter.

Perhaps you were thinking some type of steroids given for improved muscling ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:48 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Do you know anything about battery hen farming-it's common knowledge how they are reared.
I'm fully aware of "factory chicken farming".

And you're dead wrong about grass-fed cattle. Corn-fed beef is FAR superior to anything else.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry but they do-that's why they are used, plus the battery animals are so stressed their immune system doesn't function correctly and they are prone to infections.They add them to the feed.
I'm sorry, but again, you are DEAD WRONG.

Antibiotics do NOT make anything grow faster or bigger. They simply don't.

Antibiotics are used to fight bacterial infections. That is all.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
They were feeding cows animal products.Cows are herbivores.
My point wasn't about organic v non organic-it was regarding your comment re-listening to the farmers who know-or something along those lines.
As regards foot and mouth farmers were shipping the same sheep from one farm to another over a huge are on a daily basis so they could get more gov subsidies when the guy came to count their sheep.
You're rambling now, and making no sense whatever.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I believe what he was saying is that anti-biotics don't cause animals to grow faster or more and that is true. In industrial farming where there is an over crowding of any type of animal population, disease's from bacteria or viruses due to close contact with excessive fecal matter can be an issue and hence the anti-biotics to boost the immune systems.

The issue with Dairy being given anti-biotics was necessary because with the larger utters resulting from the increased size due to the new hormone, combated the infections resulting from bruises incurred by the animal's own legs by act of walking and hitting the utter.

I think you are correct.

But it should also be noted that this "growth hormone" that all these cattle are supposedly being "filled with" is actually nothing more than a concentrated natural hormone that already is in all the cows.

People need to use discernment, rather than just reading one wacked-out environmentalist blog and taking it as world-wide fact.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post

Nope-low dose antibiotics to improve weight gain.
Antibiotics don't boost the immune system-they either prevent or treat bacterial infection.
Steroids reduce the function of the immune system.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm fully aware of "factory chicken farming".

And you're dead wrong about grass-fed cattle. Corn-fed beef is FAR superior to anything else.
As you said-evidence,links?
Superior in what way?
Also beef farming is has one of the lowest conversion rates, so meat is an uneconmical source of protein.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I think you are correct.

But it should also be noted that this "growth hormone" that all these cattle are supposedly being "filled with" is actually nothing more than a concentrated natural hormone that already is in all the cows.

People need to use discernment, rather than just reading one wacked-out environmentalist blog and taking it as world-wide fact.
So that makes it OK?
Hormones are steroids.
Do your fathers cattle walk around outside and graze?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You're rambling now, and making no sense whatever.
famous city data cop out!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but again, you are DEAD WRONG.

Antibiotics do NOT make anything grow faster or bigger. They simply don't.

Antibiotics are used to fight bacterial infections. That is all.
Read the first paragraph

FDA would limit antibiotic use on U.S. livestock | Green Business | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living