Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:32 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times

Advertisements

Antibiotics ARE used to make animals bigger faster (as well as keep larger numbers of animals in confinement) - unless, of course, these vet sources are lying:

[Black]Black's veterinary dictionary - Google Books Veterinary Dictionary[/url]

Canadian Medical Journal

University of Nebraska Agricultural Extension

To say that "sub therapeutic" levels of antibiotics are NOT used to fatten the animals is misleading. The antibiotics helps cows digest corn and soy and get more nutrients out of them than the cow's system can get out naturally (because cows aren't designed to eat corn or soy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
I would be in favor of allowing people to opt out of NAIS , but they would be forbidden to sell their cattle at any public auction barn or any packing plant ot locker plant that buys animals, slaughters them, and sells the meat.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
Default Martyr Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And that has everything to do with what the hens eat, not where they live.
Bawk ! Bawk. I love living in a wire cage. I love getting my feet gouged by metal. Do I miss running on grass ? Hell, what's grass ? I want that deelicious dry raspy mash that fat farmer joe feeds me very day. It's full of ground up animals, and pesticides, restaurant grease, oh, and vitamin A.

Bawk ! Where is my little brood of chickies ? I wanna be a mama hen. Oh, drat. I am not allowed to do that. I have to sacrifice myself for farmer joe. The one with the big 'ol beer belly.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's interesting to me that all of the authors of that article are city boys who are employed by universities.

Hardly a viable source.

I can also site you several other sources, claiming the superiority of grass-fed cattle. But guess what? All of them have a financial benefit at stake.
The article I quoted listed about 12 references. You checked all the references and found them not viable?

Well, most university agricultural schools will have something on it, but here is one with various info. You can look through the others.
Grass Fed Beef - CSUC and UC Extension

Old 08-01-2009, 01:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Antibiotics ARE used to make animals bigger faster (as well as keep larger numbers of animals in confinement) - unless, of course, these vet sources are lying:

[Black]Black's veterinary dictionary - Google Books Veterinary Dictionary[/url]

Canadian Medical Journal

University of Nebraska Agricultural Extension

To say that "sub therapeutic" levels of antibiotics are NOT used to fatten the animals is misleading. The antibiotics helps cows digest corn and soy and get more nutrients out of them than the cow's system can get out naturally (because cows aren't designed to eat corn or soy).
---"aren't designed to eat corn--"

????????????????????

I rarely used.use antibiotics and my cows had no problem digesting corn as part of a balanced dairy cow ration.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Bawk ! Bawk. I love living in a wire cage. I love getting my feet gouged by metal. Do I miss running on grass ? Hell, what's grass ? I want that deelicious dry raspy mash that fat farmer joe feeds me very day. It's full of ground up animals, and pesticides, restaurant grease, oh, and vitamin A.

Bawk ! Where is my little brood of chickies ? I wanna be a mama hen. Oh, drat. I am not allowed to do that. I have to sacrifice myself for farmer joe. The one with the big 'ol beer belly.
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're a chicken that's spewing out mis-guided hash.

Feel free! But keep in mind that I have never promoted confinement of chickens.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

????????????????????

I rarely used.use antibiotics and my cows had no problem digesting corn as part of a balanced dairy cow ration.
As part of a MUCH larger balanced diet.

Isn't the corn in dairy feed already milled and processed? My understanding (based on my neighbor and his vet) is that cattle are able to naturally process only a fraction of the nutrients in corn - hence either the corn has to be seriously processed prior to feeding (almost into a wet slush or dried pellet) or some other method (like low-level antibiotics) has to be used. Likewise, acidosis and bloat are common problems.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Official Mad Cow Disease Home Page

It can make people sick years after ingesting tainted meat. Prions can't be destroyed very easily.
Now, see, I'll have to examine it further, but that link goes to a website that sure smells of having a particular strong bias. As said, I'll look into it further (check out their selection of articles, move back to find out how they are, since it's not identified there, and what dog they have in this fight, for example), but I would think it would be one of the ones that I would eliminate for that reason.

In any case, my information was taken from sites that had simple statistics available. Removes a lot of the propaganda and hoorawing - sorta dry, but a lot more informative, really.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

????????????????????

Exactly.

It is absolutely AMAZING what some people will believe!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Prophylactic use of antibiotics (and in feed) in animals is a HUGE problem and just getting bigger - look at the new mersa strain, MRSA ST398, that has managed to spread world-wide. Overuse in humans is bad enough, but using it in animals to get them fatter faster in industrial conditions (for no medical reason) is just unacceptable practice.
We have some friends who, every time one of them gets sicks, runs to the doctor and gets a Z-pack (is that right?). I cannot tell you the last time I was given an antibiotic. I can't imagine what will happen if one of them gets something worse than a cold and the antibiotics won't work because they are always being pumped full of them.

Makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living