Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM

202 posts, read 821,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
No offense to Dana Milbank, but she's obviously never been to the other farmer's market about 8 blocks away. This market is the same as all the others that FreshFarm runs in the District. The prices are high, but if you want organic, free-range food from a small farm, that's what you're going to pay.
I guess organic produce in DC must be astronomical. I don't have much faith in the organic labeling system. I visited a local mini-farm here and the guy does everything organic but doesn't sell it as such at the local farmers market. He is a Wall Street type who burned out and now farms. His wife is a doctor. I would imagine they want to eat healthy and grow their own food and sell the excess. I've heard that if you want to buy his stuff, you better be there right when they open the market because it goes fast. When I was in Hawaii, they honk the horn to open the market and there is a stampede to the good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
I guess organic produce in DC must be astronomical. I don't have much faith in the organic labeling system. I visited a local mini-farm here and the guy does everything organic but doesn't sell it as such at the local farmers market. He is a Wall Street type who burned out and now farms. His wife is a doctor. I would imagine they want to eat healthy and grow their own food and sell the excess. I've heard that if you want to buy his stuff, you better be there right when they open the market because it goes fast. When I was in Hawaii, they honk the horn to open the market and there is a stampede to the good stuff.
You are absolutely right about the organic labeling system.

Several months ago, I was visiting our sons in Minneapolis. We drove past a small "Farmers Market." All the vendors there were Asian. They had hand-painted "organic produce" and "farm fresh vegetables" signs all over.

But when I walked up to their tables, I could see that in the back of their pickups, vans and trucks, EVERYONE was pulling this "garden fresh produce" out of boxes - the EXACT SAME boxes that local grocery stores get from the warehouses.

Ridiculous. The stuff had probably come from California.

I guess it pays to grow your own. Then you know.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
. . .And no, I don't have evidence this is due to Michelle Obama's photo op, just as I don't have evidence that George Bush on the aircraft carrier with "Mission Accomplished" had anything to do with finding weapons of mass destruction.
LOL I love this quote! Of course, Dubya's "fans" won't get it...and since when does someone ask for "evidence" about green living? LOL...it's like saying "do you have EVIDENCE that the Bush/Cheney administration consisted of an idiot and a corporate bully who together became war criminals"...the evidence is sitting right in front of you for all those who have eyes to see...

Meanwhile, I'm heading off to the green market to get some local produce...

Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM

[quote=Omaha Rocks;10880994]Is there some particular reason you have to go all snotty about this - throwing in those stupid comments about FoxNews and George Bush?

What does that have to do with anything?

She got "all snotty about this" because you began to interrogate her about her simple comments regarding green living. And I cannot believe anyone in this country is not aware of the huge increase in awareness of buying local, growing some things for yourself...I live in a large metropolitan city and even in my neighborhood people are planting organic gardens, walking to local ethnic markets, and some people are even adding a few little pet hens for laying eggs...

It's everywhere for those who are interested enough to see it. Michelle Obama lent her name and obvious popularity to the cause. Meanwhile, Laura Bush just keeps going to Neimans...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
It's everywhere for those who are interested enough to see it. Michelle Obama lent her name and obvious popularity to the cause. Meanwhile, Laura Bush just keeps going to Neimans...
I guess I'm not obsessed enough about Laura Bush to know what she's doing.

But SHAME ON HER for shopping at Neiman Marcus! How DARE she?!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I guess I'm not obsessed enough about Laura Bush to know what she's doing.

Yeah, that's right I'm obsessed...met her mother-in-law years ago and was just as "obsessed"...she was a bland, not-impressive political wife...who enjoyed her money...
And unfortunately it's difficult not to know the Dubya family's whereabouts since the moved into MY neighborhood. And they are still as unconcerned about anything other than themselves as they always were.
Since I'm so obsessed, I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and SHAME on Michelle Obama for shopping at the green market and bringing in crowds...How dare SHE?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's right I'm obsessed...met her mother-in-law years ago and was just as "obsessed"...she was a bland, not-impressive political wife...who enjoyed her money...
And unfortunately it's difficult not to know the Dubya family's whereabouts since the moved into MY neighborhood. And they are still as unconcerned about anything other than themselves as they always were.
Since I'm so obsessed, I'll keep you posted.
So... I take it you're one of the uber-rich people of Dallas.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and SHAME on Michelle Obama for shopping at the green market and bringing in crowds...How dare SHE?
You still didn't read the link in the OP did you?

Why is that obvious? Because you continue to miss the whole point.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
Quote:
You still didn't read the link in the OP did you?

Why is that obvious? Because you continue to miss the whole point.
But I also find this type of public Eco-Green displays as nothing more than creating an imaging amongst the population for celebrity status building. It's all about marketing the person and not so much the actual cause. Hollywood and Sport Stars do this all the time.

When you consider the character of most Hollywood and Sport Star Celebs, they all have these handlers who are hired as a means of promotion and damage control by those who employ them. Seriously, left to their own devices, does anybody really actually believe that the majority of Hollywood and sports Star celebs are real caring eco-humanitarians by nature ??? Is their anything about the lifestyles and conduct that would indicate that they actually by nature gravitate towards the helping of their fellow man ???

I'm sure there are some serious individual celebs out there who are truthful in their desire to help others, but mostly, the nature of the celebrity animal is to pursue self interests and that calls for marketing.

I'm sure Ms O has handlers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living