Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 AM

259 posts, read 705,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm getting fairly old and I've never seen a catastrophic rupture of a refrigeration system. All the failures I've ever seen have been slow leaks. What's more people routinely use propane in their house connected to a lot more inventory than you need for a refrigerator. There's a handful of accidents in a year.

The risk is way overblown. The true story is that the replacement refrigerants have patents on them.
I see them ( ruptures ) on a near daily basis seeings how I'm in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
I see them ( ruptures ) on a near daily basis seeings how I'm in the business.
There are accidents every day with propane, but we still allow it in homes as a fuel. Proscribing it as a refrigerant makes little sense.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
There are accidents every day with propane, but we still allow it in homes as a fuel. Proscribing it as a refrigerant makes little sense.
You store propane tanks in your home ???? I hope you don't have children living with you.

Using propane to heat your home is different from using propane as a refrigerant in your fridge.
Your heater if fueled by propane operates at a very low pressure. Line pressures rarely exceed 7 psi with very small amounts of fuel present at any given time. The propane is stored in a tank outside the home.
Your fridge on the other hand operates at extremely high pressures well in excess of 200 psi which makes the propane charge very dangerous should a major failure take place.

Last edited by Tanque Verde; 10-01-2009 at 02:22 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 04:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its more common that people think for gas dryers to cause a explosion and injure people.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
You store propane tanks in your home ???? I hope you don't have children living with you.

Using propane to heat your home is different from using propane as a refrigerant in your fridge.
Your heater if fueled by propane operates at a very low pressure. Line pressures rarely exceed 7 psi with very small amounts of fuel present at any given time. The propane is stored in a tank outside the home.
Your fridge on the other hand operates at extremely high pressures well in excess of 200 psi which makes the propane charge very dangerous should a major failure take place.
The stove is connect via pipe to a large propane tank outside the house. A malfunction can flood the house with propane. A refrigerator has a very small amount in inventory.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default what's old is new again

Lake ice cut during the winter and stored in sawdust would be even better.

Learning to like warm beer would eliminate all the old inefficient refrigerators kept in the garage soley to store cold brewskis.

Consume as we go and less refrigeration is needed.

GE back from selling out the US and controlling the news media makes me want to follow their lead.

Make your own ice cream and eat all in one sitting, just like a case of beer....no refrigeration needed.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
A refrigerator has a very small amount in inventory.
Natural gas explosions often times level entire city blocks. That we know.
But that does not excuse us from making our homes any less safe than they already are just to save a dollar or a penguin.

The the small quantity of propane ( Two pounds liquid ) in a house hold fridge is maintained at very high pressures and is more than enough to level a home..
And again I say, there is no excuse for making our homes any less safe than they already are at the present time.........

Old 10-02-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Natural gas explosions often times level entire city blocks. That we know.
We don't know that at all.
Quote:
But that does not excuse us from making our homes any less safe than they already are just to save a dollar or a penguin.

The the small quantity of propane ( Two pounds liquid ) in a house hold fridge is maintained at very high pressures and is more than enough to level a home..
And again I say, there is no excuse for making our homes any less safe than they already are at the present time.........
Our houses aren't from any actuarial standpoint less safe with propane-based refrigerators than with freon based refrigerants.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
We don't know that at all.
Our houses aren't from any actuarial standpoint less safe with propane-based refrigerators than with freon based refrigerants.
You claim no knowledge of natural/propane gas explosions and then you close by claiming to be an expert on highly flammable propane gas used as a refrigerant in your home refrigerator.
So which is it ? You have no knowledge of propane gas or you are an expert in propane gas ?

Here's a link on gas explosions. Or google it yourself. I snatched the first one that came up

DRAMATIC VIDEO: 8 Firefighters, 1 Gas Employee Burned In Natural Gas Explosion | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

Old 10-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You claim no knowledge of natural/propane gas explosions and then you close by claiming to be an expert on highly flammable propane gas used as a refrigerant in your home refrigerator.
So which is it ? You have no knowledge of propane gas or you are an expert in propane gas ?

Here's a link on gas explosions. Or google it yourself. I snatched the first one that came up

DRAMATIC VIDEO: 8 Firefighters, 1 Gas Employee Burned In Natural Gas Explosion | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |
What you said is that we often have natural gas explosions leveling city blocks. That's complete bunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living