Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
You claim no knowledge of natural/propane gas explosions and then you close by claiming to be an expert on highly flammable propane gas used as a refrigerant in your home refrigerator.
So which is it ? You have no knowledge of propane gas or you are an expert in propane gas ?

Here's a link on gas explosions. Or google it yourself. I snatched the first one that came up

DRAMATIC VIDEO: 8 Firefighters, 1 Gas Employee Burned In Natural Gas Explosion | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |
I agree with you that we should never intentionally make our homes any less safe than they already are. But to say that, "Natural gas explosions often times level entire city blocks" is overstating the case.

Also, the explosion shown in the link you provided is NOT the result of a two-pound container of Natural Gas, or LP Gas, exploding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 04:02 AM

259 posts, read 705,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I agree with you that we should never intentionally make our homes any less safe than they already are. But to say that, "Natural gas explosions often times level entire city blocks" is overstating the case.

Also, the explosion shown in the link you provided is NOT the result of a two-pound container of Natural Gas, or LP Gas, exploding.
I never suggested a two pound charge would level a city block but it could easily level your entire kitchen and or set fire to your house while you're sound a sleep and unaware.
Believe it or not, there are more efficient refrigerants out there that are available for use right now and could be used in your home refrigerator but like propane they are a danger to the public.
That I believe is a road we should not go down just for the sake of cost, efficiency, or to save the planet.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
I never suggested a two pound charge would level a city block but it could easily level your entire kitchen and or set fire to your house while you're sound a sleep and unaware.
Believe it or not, there are more efficient refrigerants out there that are available for use right now and could be used in your home refrigerator but like propane they are a danger to the public.
That I believe is a road we should not go down just for the sake of cost, efficiency, or to save the planet.
Out of curiosity, what are those refrigerants? I'm not being snarky, nor is this a leading question. I'm just curious.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
The homes around here are pretty old like 100+ years and NG has been in many of them from the street for just as long. We found old NG pipes in the walls of our house that was apparently used for lighting. In any event the systems are old in lot of places, doesnt happen a lot but every few years a house blows up however it's usually determined the leak was not inside the home. They usually find it was outside sometimes the result of recent work. The gas will find it's way into a sewer pipe or some other means and get back into the house.... BOOM!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Dangerous refrigerants include anhydrous ammonia and sulfur dioxide. Efficient solar refrigeration would require fairly large amounts of anhydrous ammonia.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 AM

259 posts, read 705,602 times
The only time I worked with sulfur dioxide was on a pre WWII coke machine. R-12 was developed as a replacement for sulfur dioxide.

I get it now with what GE is trying to do. R-134 is to be phased out along with HCFC's in a few years.

You can thank the eco terrorists when your new refrigerator burns your house down for the good of the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living