Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM

50 posts, read 226,759 times

Advertisements

Surely I should be able to find a slab of granite that was quarried on this continent! Seems like most of what I see is from Brazil or India or somewhere equally far away. There is a quarry in Mt. Airy, NC, but their local product is white - not forgiving enough for my slapdash ways. I have found a dark gray quarried in Canada, but that's about it. Ideally I would like a dark charcoal to soft black granite to complement medium-dark cherry cabinets, but I could lean into the sandy limestone direction if necessary.

Would love to do concrete, but it is coming in at more $$$ than granite! Ditto for quartz. Soapstone requires too much maintenance, and I'm worried about it getting too dark over time. Want the counters to be super durable, heat resistant, and low maintenance. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM

23,646 posts, read 70,643,418 times
Barre Vermont is the granite capital of the U.S.. Look in the online Yellow Pages there. Rock of Ages was the big quarry. Most of the granite there is a mid-gray, but IIRC we did get some gorgeous black as well from local quarries, so there should be an area in-between. Rock of Ages | Rock of Ages Corporation

Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,029,501 times
Do a search of New England granite. Yes, VT is known for it, but both Maine and MA are known for their varied quality granite stone. I live down the road froma Wells, ME quarry that has pinkish- orange stone.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,232,693 times
Minnesota

Cold Spring Granite Company has trucked granite used in monuments in Washington DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living