Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 19,649 times

Advertisements

Ditto! I hate to sound negative but I moved here from Austin TX and hate it. If it wasn't for the job. It is a very family oriented town. You either have kids or are a college student. There isn't much to do. I love Atlanta too! Wish I could pick up and move there or back home. Everyone I have talked to that is a transplant here says the people aren't very friendly. It is super hard to make friends. But NC as a whole isn't too bad. Beach, mountains, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi2710 View Post
i suggest you pick a new place to live. Greensboro is boring i have been here about 9 months and hate every minute of it i can wait to leave this month. The summers suck, the bugs suck , the green monster crap was hurrendous. Seriously you will be bored coming from atlanta. The people are not that friendly here they were very southern and nice when i visited but even after being here in a nice neighborhood not one of my neighbors has come up to us and said hello and i am outside all the time. I will say the traffic is better then alot of places however a 6 mile drive still takes 20 minutes but i was used to a 47 mile drive each way to work.

either way good luck but i would not suggest greensboro to any young person just for the simple fact that its super tiny to be called a city and not much going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,974 times
atlgreensboro - I'm not sure if you'll get this since you posted a year ago but I am in the same situation you were last year. I will be moving to Greensboro within 30 days and have no idea where to live. I've been looking at CityView online, did you end up moving there? I am a single young professional and don't necessarily want to be around the college scene (18-20year olds) but like to be within walking distance to bars and restaurants. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 PM

6,162 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkoch1 View Post
Have you visited downtown Greensboro? Coming from Atlanta, I'm sure it's much smaller than you're even imagining. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice, with some great little restaurants, and there's been a lot more housing added in my 5 years here. However...there's no drugstore or grocery store within walking distance. You'll have to get in your car for many daily necessities. Again, not trying to steer you away at all, just want you to be informed.
And one of the beauties of GSO is that commute is never an issue It's awesome! We moved here from Charlotte, NC, and were amazed at what people call "traffic" here. So, driving to the nearest shopping center/grocery store from downtown will probably take you about 7 minutes. I commuted to Winston-Salem for 3 years (30-35min each way) and people thought I was nuts. It was nothing!
Good luck on your move. Like I said, we moved here 5 yrs ago from Charlotte when we were 26 or so. Feel free to ask any questions!
actually there is a drug store downtown and a grocery store will be opening up downtown next year across the street from a new apartment complex going up. The Greenway at Fisher Park Apartments

Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 PM

479 posts, read 836,150 times
Here's a guide to Downtown Greensboro. Greensboro Downtown - Official Downtown Greensboro Inc - Shop, Dine, Explore, Live, Work, Invest

For places to workout downtown, there's City Health Club and a reasonably new YMCA.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM

22 posts, read 34,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbuggin View Post
Ditto! I hate to sound negative but I moved here from Austin TX and hate it. If it wasn't for the job. It is a very family oriented town. You either have kids or are a college student. There isn't much to do. I love Atlanta too! Wish I could pick up and move there or back home. Everyone I have talked to that is a transplant here says the people aren't very friendly. It is super hard to make friends. But NC as a whole isn't too bad. Beach, mountains, etc.
It sure as hell ain't Austin.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM

no city in NC is Austin. Entirely different culture.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,975 times
Hi, I am looking at the Greensboro area myself. I currently live in Charlotte, and originate from Chicago. Is Greensboro a good place if you want a city life as far as having things to do, but still have a "southern feel" where it isnt so crazy on a daily basis?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marie19 View Post
Hi, I am looking at the Greensboro area myself. I currently live in Charlotte, and originate from Chicago. Is Greensboro a good place if you want a city life as far as having things to do, but still have a "southern feel" where it isnt so crazy on a daily basis?
Greensboro is a slower pace town than Charlotte. It has some big city amenities yet has a smaller southern city feel. I think you would enjoy Greensboro. There are plenty of things to do in the city and the downtown nightlife has really grown over the past decade.

You can start by checking these links out below. You find all kinds of information about Greensboro, its attraction, restaurants, ect.

Home | Greensboro, NC Travel & Tourism - Greensboro, NC Accommodations, Restaurants, Events & Attractions

Greensboro Downtown - Official Downtown Greensboro Inc - Shop, Dine, Explore, Live, Work, Invest

Action Greensboro - Greensboro, North Carolina

Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
no city in NC is Austin. Entirely different culture.
The Triangle is a pretty good comparison to Austin--state capital region, universities, liberal, tech economy, etc. They are also about the same size and growing at similar rates.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,919,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marie19 View Post
You should check out Greenville, SC too.

I grew up in Charlotte, went to college in Raleigh, and enjoyed both places (I like Raleigh more). I moved to Greenville to take a job after college and it has a lot going on for the size city it is. The downtown there is really great. I just moved up here to Greensboro temporarily for work and am living downtown. It is not bad at all here and I have enjoyed my time so far; I am glad I chose a place to live downtown where I can walk to bars, shops, grocery store, etc.

However, since being here I definitely realize how spoiled I am back home in Greenville with the downtown there. If you've never been there I would check it out.

Last edited by Sunbather; 03-25-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point