Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,577,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
Congrats on arguing against yourself. Your points proved Mutiny's argument more than yours. Well done. ... By the way, he said the Triangle was similar to Austin not Raleigh was similar to Austin. Enjoy your MSA and CSA discussion.
Arguing against their self using a quote from 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,045,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Arguing against their self using a quote from 3 years ago.

LOL I don't think I've ever seen that one before!!!

Old 06-08-2016, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 12,934 times
Using his logic, I guess the Triangle and the Triad don't exist, and they are just figments of our imagination.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 6,151 times
Could you enlighten me too about what's here to do,cause,I'm bored here too.Came from Europe and there was plenty there.Clubs for mature individuals by any chance? kinda miss going dancing , Theater and I don't mean the movies
Any great restaurants? Please let me know

Old 06-20-2016, 10:47 AM

149 posts, read 250,884 times
aside from the "professional" theatres on Elm Street.

Greensboro Collge, UNCG, High Point University , GTCC, Elon

all have fantastic theatre programs. Most of the above schools have two venues, a black box and then a traditional venue.

Greensboro Day School, is a K-12 private school, with a fantastic theatre program. They also have two venues, traditional and black box.

Not only are fantastic productions available from these places, but tickets are very affordable.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:56 PM

36 posts, read 30,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturyGrl49 View Post
Could you enlighten me too about what's here to do,cause,I'm bored here too.Came from Europe and there was plenty there.Clubs for mature individuals by any chance? kinda miss going dancing , Theater and I don't mean the movies
where in Europe do you come from ?
I am from France

Old 06-22-2016, 06:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,045,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturyGrl49 View Post
Where do you live? There are plenty of live theater companies in Winston-Salem and I'm sure Greensboro has several too. In Winston-Salem check: Hanes Brand Theater/Milton Rhodes Arts Center, Little Theater of W-S, Stevens Center, Twin City Stage, Festival Stage of W-S, the Winston-Salem Theater Alliance, Heritage Theater, Children's Theater of W-S, Arts Council Theater, UNC School of the Arts, Stained Glass Playhouse, and I'm sure there are several others. UNC-SA is one of the best arts schools in the nation and puts out great products in music, dance, and theater. Wake Forest, UNC-Greensboro also have excellent arts programs and do many community productions throughout the year in addition to all of the local professional productions.

It's obviously not Paris (not sure what you're comparing us to), but you aren't in Siberia either. There is culture in the Triad, and Winston-Salem is pretty well known for a great arts scene for a mid-sized city. I feel very comfortable in saying that Europe isn't great for the arts across the board consistently; in other words, there are large centers for the arts and smaller cities/towns with great arts scenes too, but there are also very dry areas as well. Whether in Greensboro or Winston-Salem you can find plenty of visual and performing arts, festivals, museums/galleries, musical performances, etc. It might take a very slight effort on your part but there is certainly an abundance of cultural activities in the Triad - so there is no reason to be bored.

Some good places to start:

http://www.smittysnotes.com/Home.aspx - Smitty's Notes is a great place for finding things to do in Winston-Salem, including the arts. There is also an arts section called "Relish" in the W-S Journal every Thursday with listings.
https://www.visitnc.com/story/winsto...ty-of-the-arts

The Arts Council of Winston-Salem & Forsyth County
DADA - The Downtown Arts District Association of Winston - Salem
Sawtooth School for Visual Art
http://www.associatedartists.org/

University of North Carolina School of the Arts - UNCSA
Dance | Arts | Wake Forest University
https://performingarts.uncg.edu/

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-22-2016 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 08:58 PM

58 posts, read 99,083 times
I'm in my mid/late twenties and have lived in Greensboro for a little over four years, having lived in Raleigh prior to that. I think I can summarize it for potential young professionals moving here...

Greensboro has a decent size population so your going to find pretty much every amenity you want (within reason) local restaurants, craft breweries, parks/trails, theatre etc, etc. Whether or not you enjoy living here (or any other city for that matter) usually comes down to how socially connected you are--if you make close friends you will love life, if you don't you'll be miserable. And that will probably take several months of consistent effort to really build out in a new place. So a few recommendations:

- introduce yourself to ppl, intentionally try to connect
-Move to an apartment complex where you'll interact with others (greenway at fisher park, south side, Lincoln green)
-get involved with SYNERG, it's been a while since I've been to their events but my experience was its a great program
-join lots of clubs and rec sports leagues (you can quit the ones you don't like later)

Most ppl you meet will not become your friends, but it's like sales in that it's a numbers game to find ppl that you click with. It takes effort and time, but eventually you'll feel right at home. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,907,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2010 View Post
I'm in my mid/late twenties and have lived in Greensboro for a little over four years, having lived in Raleigh prior to that. I think I can summarize it for potential young professionals moving here...

Greensboro has a decent size population so your going to find pretty much every amenity you want (within reason) local restaurants, craft breweries, parks/trails, theatre etc, etc. Whether or not you enjoy living here (or any other city for that matter) usually comes down to how socially connected you are--if you make close friends you will love life, if you don't you'll be miserable. And that will probably take several months of consistent effort to really build out in a new place. So a few recommendations:

- introduce yourself to ppl, intentionally try to connect
-Move to an apartment complex where you'll interact with others (greenway at fisher park, south side, Lincoln green)
-get involved with SYNERG, it's been a while since I've been to their events but my experience was its a great program
-join lots of clubs and rec sports leagues (you can quit the ones you don't like later)

Most ppl you meet will not become your friends, but it's like sales in that it's a numbers game to find ppl that you click with. It takes effort and time, but eventually you'll feel right at home. Good luck with your move!

Very, very well said.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 PM

615 posts, read 539,640 times
I very seldom come to this site or Raleigh's. But I came to it and a guy is asking about relocating to Greensboro. And you guys from Raleigh intervene and ask......have you considered Raleigh? You do the same on the Charlotte site. If he was interested in Raleigh then he would have gone to the Raleigh site. And have you ever been to Austin? I did not think so. Texas is like a different culture. Austin and Raleigh are not that similar because Austin is in Texas. Texas is like an entire country to itself. Austin has a much bigger downtown with skyscrapers and high rise residential. And they are building more high rise office and residential. It has much more to offer than Raleigh .Austin is not spread out like Raleigh Durham and Chapel Hill. Despite what you say, the MSa population of Raleigh is much smaller than Austin. If CSA and MSA were the same, there would be no need for CSA. It has got to do with commuting. Austin has more commuters from outlying counties. These people have a connection to Austin. All of these commuters make the area have a different feel. In addition, while there, they may go to bars and retaurants etc. The bottom line is the Raleigh downplays its MSA population and likes to use the CSA population. Raleigh is an MSa of around 1.2 million and Austin's MSA is around 2.0 million. It is almost twice as large. And that is why it feels much larger than Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point