Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM

983 posts, read 1,636,377 times

Advertisements

No. It's worse.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,049,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
No. It's worse.

Agreed!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 PM

231 posts, read 713,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
You REALLY have to make your own fun happen.
And there you have it - something is only fun if it is commodified and sold to you. Fun cannot be accomplished on one's own.

Sad state of affairs...

Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM

135 posts, read 248,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
Yes Gboro is boring. Even the natives say it. I have been here for 8 yrs. It is ok and that is just it. Nothing new but food. Great for College and people who have family here... It looks nice and pretty but it lacks a lot in terms of excitement...Dry is the word. You REALLY have to make your own fun happen.
The population is only 269K. And it's really not that hard to go to Raleigh for a Canes game, or RDU in general for ACC basketball, 3 hours from the beach, 2 hours from Asheville, Amtrak access, cozy downtown...so what's the gripe? Are you expecting NYC? If so, hope on the train a the wonderful new depot.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,577,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
And there you have it - something is only fun if it is commodified and sold to you. Fun cannot be accomplished on one's own.

Sad state of affairs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
The population is only 269K. And it's really not that hard to go to Raleigh for a Canes game, or RDU in general for ACC basketball, 3 hours from the beach, 2 hours from Asheville, Amtrak access, cozy downtown...so what's the gripe? Are you expecting NYC? If so, hope on the train a the wonderful new depot.
I agree olrac, it seems if "fun" isn't beating their (the complainers) door down then the effort won't be made to seek it out.
I just returned from Phoenix and was told there was much to do out there, and while I'm sure this is the case, you have to drive everywhere. I'm curious as to what the naysayers classify as "fun."

Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,540,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I agree olrac, it seems if "fun" isn't beating their (the complainers) door down then the effort won't be made to seek it out.
I just returned from Phoenix and was told there was much to do out there, and while I'm sure this is the case, you have to drive everywhere. I'm curious as to what the naysayers classify as "fun."

Your right about Phoenix with the driving. It is some 70 miles from one end of that Metro to the other. There are people that find the Phoenix area boring after awhile also. I guess you will find that almost anyplace. Although some places are more interesting with more to do that others.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,630 times
Smile Greensboring

Having had the great misfortune of my family moving fromBaltimore to Greensboring in 1962...I WAS IN 4TH OR 5TH GRADE suffice it to say that I hated it. The people were backward and narrow-minded. I couldn't wait to get back up north...yes Greensborings considered Baltimore north and we were called yankees!
Finally in 1973 I "escaped" G'boring for New York City...where you could pretty much be or do anything you wanted. No one wasconsidered if the had spiked green hair and a kleather spiked "collar"" on or ran naked up Broadway. It should be a requirementthat everyone nive there some time.
I loved it until after time I couldn't take the noise, crowds, and things coming at you from every direction. I had told myself I would never go back down south.
But I could not take NYC anymore and wanted to be in a warmer climate. Fortunately, I discovered Charlotte, more sophisticated than G'boring. People from all over the country are moving here. The weather is better also than G'boring and it is just a few miles from South Carolina.
Sorry for so long a reply. Hope it answered your question.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 PM

135 posts, read 248,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Ward View Post
Having had the great misfortune of my family moving fromBaltimore to Greensboring in 1962...I WAS IN 4TH OR 5TH GRADE suffice it to say that I hated it. The people were backward and narrow-minded. I couldn't wait to get back up north...yes Greensborings considered Baltimore north and we were called yankees!
Finally in 1973 I "escaped" G'boring for New York City...where you could pretty much be or do anything you wanted. No one wasconsidered if the had spiked green hair and a kleather spiked "collar"" on or ran naked up Broadway. It should be a requirementthat everyone nive there some time.
I loved it until after time I couldn't take the noise, crowds, and things coming at you from every direction. I had told myself I would never go back down south.
But I could not take NYC anymore and wanted to be in a warmer climate. Fortunately, I discovered Charlotte, more sophisticated than G'boring. People from all over the country are moving here. The weather is better also than G'boring and it is just a few miles from South Carolina.
Sorry for so long a reply. Hope it answered your question.
By a few miles, you mean like 200, right?

And there are tons of northerners along the I40 corridor now. Thanks for your analysis from 50 years ago. Guess what? People can sit at Woolworths now!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 PM

156 posts, read 335,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
If your not into sports then what... 3 hours to a beach is close? What is in Asheville that isn't here. And by cozy downtown, do you mean small.
No I wasn't expecting NYC. But I also wasn't expecting on being bored.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM

156 posts, read 335,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post

Sad state of affairs...
No Gboro is a sad state of affairs. Ha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point