Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

222 posts, read 937,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDIONE View Post
I Truly Misjudged It For The Completely Quiet /peaceful Looking Area That I See In Pictures. Thanks All.
Well, see, it IS a quiet and peaceful area. You are not going to find a problem free school system in NC. I have to believe you are not that naive. If you are thinking of Forysth county schools, there are more problems in those schools than in Asheboro/Randolph schools! I recommend you read the local newspapers online for a while and see what exactly is going on in those areas with schools.

journalnow.com

courier-tribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 PM

19 posts, read 58,140 times
[quote=flipster;1251754]Well, see, it IS a quiet and peaceful area. You are not going to find a problem free school system in NC. I have to believe you are not that naive.

I APOLOGIZE- MAYBE I INCORRECTLY STATED MY COMMENT OR YOU MISUNDERSTOOD. I STATED I HAD NOT BEEN TO THE AREA AND HAD SEEN PICTURES OF 'NICE LOOKING' HOMES--- OLDER-LARGER-MANY WITH ACREAGE/ SOME WITH A POND --GAVE OFF A PEACEFUL AND SERENE FEELING . I THOUGHT IT WAS IMPORTANT TO THANK THE PREVIOUS POSTER FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL INFO GIVEN-SINCE WE DONT ALWAYS HEAR FROM THE YOUNGER POPULATION. I HAVE CHECKED OUT MANY OF THE STATE WEBSITES THAT OTHER POSTERS HAVE OFFERED. I DO HAVE TEENS- IT IS NOT FEASIBLE THAT I WOULD BE NAIVE ENOUGH TO THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM FREE SCHOOL IN ANY STATE OR ANY GRADE LEVEL...THE COMMENT OF MISJUDGING THE AREA WAS TOTALLY ADVISING THAT THE AREA PICTURES MAKE ME THINK OF HOW BEAUTIFUL AND MATURE THE AREA LOOKS.
I THANK YOU FOR THE ADDITIONAL WEBSITES.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 PM

10 posts, read 81,135 times
I have lived and worked in Randolph County since 1982. I work as a Paramedic, so I work in all parts of the county and have to deal with what comes along with the crime, etc. We run (from an EMS) stand point relatively few murders, stabbing, gunshots, etc. I feel safe here (as long as you avoid those parts of town you have no business in anyway). I have no problems allowing my child to go to school in this county. The sheriffs department has implemented two programs in the elementary school called c.a.r.e (child abuse reduction effort), and d.a.r.e (deals with drug abuse awareness but can't remember what it stands for)... Many schools have police school resource officers (not because they are unsafe but because it helps get students working with, talking to and trusting the officers and can lead to safer schools, without fear of violence or gangs)

Would not hesitate to recommend this area to anyone.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 PM

903 posts, read 3,511,750 times
We have lived in Randolph County for almost 10 years, and I have 4 kids (ages 20, 16, 12, and 10). Before here, we were just north in southern Guilford County for 5 years.

That said, I would say proceed with caution. I don't think you mentioned where you'd be coming from, so I can't compare for you. My husband is from Long Island and has relatives in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and I grew up in Va Beach and have relatives in Ohio. So just in our family network, we have several very different settings to compare. Both city and rural/suburbia.

There have been a lot of changes around here over the last 5-6 years. When my oldest was in high school, there was not a lot of drug or gang activity there. But in the last few years, it seems to have gotten a lot more prevalent. As far as the drugs, what scares me is how complacent a lot of the kids are about it. And while the gang activity does seem to be contained to small groups, it also seem to be on the rise. Our local middle school recently had a presentation for parents, and they are pretty concerned with the "wannabe" kids just as much as the real gangs.

Randolph County is a very beautiful area, with a lot of nice homes throughout the county. But it is no different than most any place else... it has its problems. And the drugs and gangs are everywhere... in the richest and poorest areas and all points in between. The county infrastructure is suffering because of the tax base. While its nice as a tax payer, the budgets are getting spread thinner as each year goes by. And it is starting to show in negative ways.

I noticed Providence Grove High School was mentioned. Folks in that area have high hopes for the school, and I hope all goes well for them. I can't say enough good about their new principal; he's been our HS principal for the last 5 years or so.

I don't mean to spread sour grapes, but we are moving out of state... and are glad of it.

Mary

Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 AM

50 posts, read 102,659 times
I grew up on eastern Long Island, and recently moved to Las Vegas while my significant other finishes a degree, but I really don't like it out here. Too much crime and nonsense compared to where I came from. It's also a 24 hour town, so neighbors make 24 hour noise.

Ideally I'd like to move back to long island but it's just gotten so expensive there.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:31 AM

3 posts, read 15,381 times
I am 20 years old and have lived in Asheboro almost my whole life. Iv lived in almost ever corner of this place and the only place Iv seen problems is in the slum areas, which are mainly near Fayetteville St, Presnell, Elm, Martin Luther King Dr, and the surrounding streets. Other than that Asheboro is safe, its a harmless country town. yes there is alot of drugs in the county but like I said mostly in the slum areas, and these areas are pretty safe during the day. Although I wouldnt advise moving here, its over run with mexicans, everyone is ruder than heck and there are absolutly NO jobs. the country scenery is great. Id move as far away from the city part of Asheboro as possible. Did I mention this is a dry county? They are voting for alcohol on July 29th so well see how it goes.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,272 times
Asheboro is no longer a dry city we did get alcohol though it has not had a huge effect on us to this day other than property taxes going up slightly as expected.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,272 times
i have lived in Asheboro for the past 19 years. i started and finished school in Asheboro, i have now started my own family and would not move since it is a good place to live and to raise your children. though i must agree with some of what Brittany said, there aren't much jobs left and thats mainly because of all the manufacturing company closings. about the drugs like she said they are mainly on "the hill" needless to say most of that area is a section 8 area. section 8 areas are the worst areas but they seem to stay within there area drugs don't really come out into the publics eyes if you stay out of that area everything is fine and even if you do go through there if you keep to yourself nothing is going to happen to you. if you have adolescents in the family and they like the night life i just want to say they would have to go to Greensboro or somewhere else because movies, bowling, skating, golf, and maybe the Zoo is about all we have and some shopping but even then most go to Greensboro, Winston salem, concord and other places for better shops. so hope this helps for those thinking about coming here. and enjoy the green areas we have cause we still have a lot of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point