Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM

676 posts, read 3,080,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I lived near Welcome for a bit and I thought it was a nice place to live due to it's rural setting, easy access to the freeway and lower taxes. The schools are good and crime is very low. My wife was less thrilled because her complexion is dark enough that people thought she was either Cherokee or Mexican. As I noted earlier, I was never approached with any of these problems when I was alone. Only when my German-Italian wife was along did these issues crop up. Once people got to know her, everything was okay again.
Interesting...I just moved to Arcadia near Welcome from CA and I am full Italian. In CA people often assumed I was Mexican because that is all they know if you are of a brown type of complexion yet I haven't had one person ask me what I am or if I am Mexican or treat me poorly. I hate to hear about your wife's poor treatment because of her skin color. I am about 5 miles from the Forsyth county line, but I have noticed if you go into Davidson county it really does feel more country or for a lack of a better word slightly "hick" with some houses with cars parked in the front yard, chain link fences, single-wide trailers, young kids riding dirt bikes in the yard, etc. I do 100% of everything in Winston and I honestly LOVE it here because I feel really close to town yet get to escape in only minutes to the peace & quiet, lower taxes, less crime and a bigger house for the money. I think if you live close enough to the Forsyth border, you really get to take advantage of a good thing in Davidson. I have also been going over to the Clemmons area more (it kind of borders us) and I would highly recommend looking into that area. There seems to be a part of Clemmons that is in Davidson county or very close to it and considered "Clemmons area" if you look it up on the Listingbook website which a local realtor can provide you access to and you can find some affordable, rural feeling houses without feeling like you are way out in the country. I will have to agree that it is primarily white out this way, so if you want diversity, Winston will be better in that regard. To be honest, we sacrificed diversity for an affordable house with a large yard, basement and garage. I also haven't met any friends out here, so far everyone I have things in common with live in Winston, but it only takes me about 20-25 minutes to get there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 AM

7 posts, read 53,065 times
I spent my teenage years in Davidson County, specifically Lexington. It was populated by the nastiest, most prejudiced, most narrow minded people I have ever enountered. Visits back there in 1987 and 1996 proved that it hadn't progressed much.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Default Soccer in Davidson County, NC

Some of the best youth soccer in the area is in Davidson County - here are some links:
North Davidson Soccer League > Home ( DNN 2.1.2 )
Triad Challenge League Homepage
If you're an adult player, there are several adult leagues:
WSASL - Official Homepage
And if you just want a weekly pickup game that can include anyone
from U6 - O60, there's Sunday Family Soccer
Arcadia Boosters Club -- Sunday Family Soccer (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point