Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 PM

8 posts, read 26,547 times

Advertisements

Wow, it looks like a lot of michiganders have relocated to W-S. My husband and I are also looking to relocate and have not yet decided between NC or AL. Right now we live outside of Detroit in metro suburbia.
My question is how is the job market in NC, and where is a good place for a paramedic and a rough carpenter to find a job?

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times
Default possibly moving to NC...

We live in Asheboro which is about 35-45 mins South of Winston.. and were selling our house as well, Our house is over 4000 sqft. 5bdrm, 3.5bth, 3 car garage, full walkout basement (partially finished). ... Most homes in this neighborhood range from 300,000 to 900,000 or more. We are relocating and just trying to get our house sold. Have you thought about looking in this area? Moderator cut: solicitation Asheboro is a nice area to live in, shopping is only 5-10mins away depending on what shopping your doing, Schools are withen same distance 5-10 mins away, Hospital is 5mins away and of course we have the Zoo that is only 15 mins from here.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-31-2007 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-31-2007, 07:59 PM

265 posts, read 814,043 times
Default What city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormegreen View Post
Personally I have enjoyed W-S very much - I am a newbie to NC (moved from Michigan) and chose to live in the general area of Winston - a lot of people here have their favorites among the triad with Greensboro and W-S being the 2 top contenders. Winston-Salem reminds me some of a city that I lived back in Michigan and I'm not big on the night life and bars even though I am single so that was not a factor to me. I liked how the city was set up and seemed close to a lot of things without being too big and busy, but that's just one person's opinion! :-)
I'm from Michigan and researching a move to the south. I'm curious as to which city your referring to.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,199 times
Default moving to North Caroling...need help!

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to North Caroling next summer when I graduate from Nursing school. We have no idea where to begin to look. I am in need of what areas have the best RN opportunities and what hospitals are good. We don't have a whole lot of money to play with, so we want to start off renting either a house or townhouse in a good area. We would like to be a few hours from the beaches. His parents are planning to move to the Outer Banks sometime and we would like to be near them, but if that's not possible, so be it. We don't have any children, so school systems don't play a part in our plans. We are going to travel to NC when I'm on Spring Break in March to look around and start planning, but have to have final plans by May/June when I graduate and take that state nusing exam. It's just all overwhelming and we just don't know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(sorry for the typo!)

Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 16,779 times
The happy medium would be to live in North Davidson County which is just about mid way between Winston and Charlotte. You get the best of many worlds. Close to work, close to "big" city life and less property tax in Davidson County, plus the schools in Davidson county are some of the best in the area. You should look at a community marketed by Coldwell Banker called the Meadowlands. It have a variety of price points. You can check out my website at brentnjones.com to see a list of invertory my company has in the Medowlands or cbtriad.com for the local Coldwel Banker site.

Thanks.
Brent

Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 PM

230 posts, read 579,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippus View Post
We just got back 2 weeks ago from our vacation to North Carolina, and we LOVED it! We visited the triangle area(Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary) and Asheville as well as Charlotte. The wife and I fell in love with Charlotte and the Cary/Raleigh area. My dilemma is I am going back on Sunday, Mon,Tues to interview for a VERY promising job opportunity as a Manager for a local company. They are based in Winston-Salem, and I know little to nothing about there. I think Charlotte would be too far a commute, but we really loved it there----are there any suburbs or outlying areas that I could commute to from about 30-35 minutesto Winston-Salem? Any advice? We are looking to spend $450-$600 for a brand new or at least 2-4 year old 5 bedroom home. Maybe we would like Winston Salem as well? We are coming from Ft Lauderdale, so are used to living in a big city.....any ideas?
Thanks
Please Help!
Craig
Check out Hickory, the Mountain View or Lake area. We moved here from VA and like it a lot.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 64,267 times
PLEASE Check all your JOB options! Have a job before you move and the rent. Living here in NC is (pay even in high end jobs) lower than in fla area we are from that state and belive me it will be a nice change but check eveything out. Rent JOB School etc!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:21 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,397 times
The Charlotte housing market is rapidly approaching critical mass. Good luck finding anything affordable in the immediate area. Most folks moving to the Charlotte Area are living in SC and commuting because of the housing prices.

Living in the Triad (Winston, Greensboro, High Point) and commuting will probably not work- over an hour to Charlotte and Raleigh. So depending on where you end up, definitely use the Mapquest to see how far the commutes are.

Cary is definitely nice, but getting expensive as well. There are many other areas around Raleigh that are more affordable- Apex, Garner, knightdale. More house for less money!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM

56 posts, read 211,840 times
Winston-Salem is an up and comer. They have a strong planning commission and are headed in the right direction. If they succeed, your investment in that area will probably be a good one and your experience positive. Here is another link for you, and it contains another link to a NY Times article about W-S. Good luck
Welcome to winstonsalem.com - Brought to you by the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce

Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,397 times
The Triad is the perfect place. 3.5 hours to the beach, 2 or so to the mountains. Outer Banks takes longer, especially when you add in any ferry rides.
Do let us know if you need any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules82 View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning to move to North Caroling next summer when I graduate from Nursing school. We have no idea where to begin to look. I am in need of what areas have the best RN opportunities and what hospitals are good. We don't have a whole lot of money to play with, so we want to start off renting either a house or townhouse in a good area. We would like to be a few hours from the beaches. His parents are planning to move to the Outer Banks sometime and we would like to be near them, but if that's not possible, so be it. We don't have any children, so school systems don't play a part in our plans. We are going to travel to NC when I'm on Spring Break in March to look around and start planning, but have to have final plans by May/June when I graduate and take that state nusing exam. It's just all overwhelming and we just don't know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(sorry for the typo!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point