Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

I'll be looking to relocate to the W-S area next summer with my wife, and 2 kids ages 6 and 7. I'll be working at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and my wife works from a home-based office. Budget we'd like to stay under is $400K.

I'd love to hear recommendations for specific neighborhoods that are a relatively easy commute to the hospital, loaded with school-aged kids in a great school district, and not too far from the local conveniences (ie grocery, etc). We'll be leaving a great neighborhood in SC with Friday cul-de-sac happy hour while the kids all play and would love to find something similar!!

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,168,550 times
Hi Carolinaterp, and welcome to Winston-Salem! It's a great place to live and raise a family, and I think you'll have no problem finding a suitable location.

First, you have lots of neighborhood options. In general, the west side of town is considered more desirable (although that's a huge generalization as there are plenty of great neighborhoods elsewhere, some of which are tucked away and you'd never know about them without a realtor's help). You could live close in around the Country Club/Silas Creek Rd./Reynolda Rd. area--lots of neighborhoods there. The good news is that no matter where you live, commutes are generally no more than 20 minutes, even in the outlying 'burbs like Lewisville and Clemmons. If you haven't already, spend some time searching this forum for "Winston-Salem neighborhoods" or similar and you'll find lots of info already covered. The neighborhoods closest to the hospital include West End, Ardmore, Washington Park, and just a little farther out is Town & Country. But Clemmons and Lewisville also offer quality living, with vibrant neighborhoods and lots of kids. You'll need a realtor to help sort things out, but you have lots of great choices.

Regarding schools, again the west side schools are generally considered to be better, but it's more complicated than that as there are magnet schools and private schools in the mix (but generally the public schools here are very good, so you don't need private unless you just like spending money). I'd say (again a gross generalization) that you'd be pretty safe in the zones and feeders schools for Reynolds, Reagan, West Forsyth, and Mount Tabor high schools. All are among the best high schools in the state.

Good luck in your search, and feel free to ask more questions. We have lots of locals on this board with good info, and we'll try to help you as much as we can.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
arbyunc has given you some great advice

I would just add to his list the Sherwood Forest neighborhood as one you should check out.

Winston-Salem is a great city, easy to navigate with everything you need - hope you enjoy it!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,168,550 times
Hi LM! Thanks for mentioning Sherwood Forest--it's actually the one I meant to say, as it's closer to downtown than Town & Country. Got my names mixed up!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,633,794 times
Welcome to the area! Can't give much advice as we're new to the area as well (been here 4 months now)- but we love it. Though we're southeast of W-S, near Wallburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point