Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm relocating to Winston-Salem in December to take a job near the Peters Creek and Silas Creek intersection. I'm looking to rent for the first couple of months and then eventually buying a house or townhouse condominium.

What are the nicer areas that would provide a short commute to work. Also, how bad is the commute on I-40 in the mornings coming from Clemmons? Finally, how pet-friendly is WS (I have a dog coming with me)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM

273 posts, read 951,087 times
Congrats on your move. The traffic on I-40 I've found is hit and miss. I occassionally took Bus 40 in from Jonestown rd area and sometimes it flowed sometime it crawled. I can tell you that Peter Creek and Silas Creek area does get congested in the morning with Forsythe Tech, WSFC Career Center and all the traffic from people living south of downtown. For renting purposes, I've found that you can either pay very little (under 600 for 2b) in a suspicious area or a lot (over 1000) for what seems to be a decent complex. Especially with a dog, they are very tight on the size of dog etc... As far as being dog friendly, there are two dog parks in town. The best one is at Washington Park (lots of trees), between Peters creek and Broad. The other one is up by Germantown road, but it's all field, no trees for shade. My wife and I just moved to Winston about 3 months ago and really enjoy it. We just purchased a home south of downtown and like it alot. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,789 times
Thanks Akwebb for the advice.

Some additional information to solicit additional help. I generally prefer living in Condominium/Townhouse developments and can comfortably pay a maximum of $1500/mth in rent. Also, are there any houses or townhouses with basements? None of the ones I've seen online mention this?

Thanks again to any help anyone can provide.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM

222 posts, read 937,090 times
Try Heather Hills or Heather South. They are condos and it looks like a few may have basements.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM

273 posts, read 951,087 times
There are also some apts/condos/townhouses south on Peters Creek, I want to say Brannigan Village or something. I'll try and drive by this afternoon, but the only thing about there is the traffic on Peters Creek, there are numerous traffic lights and there are not timed very well. All the townhouses and apts we looked at did not have any basements, but try calling around if you can. Heather Hills would be fairly close for you.

How big is your dog? If you are looking to rent, especially for a short amount of time, you are going to find it very difficult to find any locations that will do a 3-month lease with a dog. We knew we were going to to buy a house within the first 2 months after moving, so we decided to go with an apt called The Village Resorts. The place is huge (which isn't a great thing), but they offered a 2-story, 2bd, 1.5ba townhouse for $600 a month with a 3-month lease and a 60# dog. The apt has some questionable people living there, but it looks like they try and keep people with dogs in one area (most are decent). If you can stand living in a less than desirable place for a short time it might be an option, we've never had any problems living there, but there was always a little sense of unease. It's not that far from where you're going to be working (my wife drove to the same area and it took ~10 mins). That's just my 2cents, I wouldn't say I recommend that place, but it might just be a short term option if you can't find anything else.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 9,323 times
Ardmore is about as close as you can get without being in a bad neighborhood. Look around the intersection of Hawthorne and Miller Streets. Lots of dogs in this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point