Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
A cosmopolitan metro vs a cesspool of rednecks and gangs... Yes, culturally they are radically different, regardless of size.
If the Raleigh area is a cesspool of rednecks then why are the people who reside there so well-educated?! The triangle is known for having the most PhD's per capita in the US. I think Raleigh are is far from being a cesspool of rednecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 AM

231 posts, read 713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
If the Raleigh area is a cesspool of rednecks then why are the people who reside there so well-educated?! The triangle is known for having the most PhD's per capita in the US. I think Raleigh are is far from being a cesspool of rednecks.
(you got it backward, obviously)

Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Neither one is truly cosmopolitan, and both are far from being a "cesspool of rednecks and gangs." NC is very blessed to have two midsized progressive, fast-growing, prosperous, complimentary metros within its borders.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,668 times
Quote:
A cosmopolitan metro vs a cesspool of rednecks and gangs... Yes, culturally they are radically different, regardless of size.
Why so hard on the Triangle?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM

231 posts, read 713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Why so hard on the Triangle?
Again, it's the Triangle that is a great metro (aside from traffic). It's not Raleigh where you can't avoid angrily persistent beggars downtown. Nor where you must avoid large swathes of the city due to gang violence. Nor where even a majority of the wealthy think the world revolves around NASCAR and giant pickups (You can't buy class). Nor that international corporations avoid in favor of southern cities like Raleigh and Atlanta when locating headquarters.

It might improve in the future (let's hope!), but for now Charlotte's only saving grace is all the local corporations that call it home. I'll be happy for every dollar Charlotte's economy brings to the state and region, but you must admit there's more to be proud about hi-tech industries bringing in billions than a bunch of mouth-breathers and tobacco-spitters throwing their money at cars casually circling a track. Charlotte's like a prostitute mother - her kid appreciates that she puts nice clothes on his back and good food on the table, but he'd prefer she got the money by other means.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,668 times
Quote:
Again, it's the Triangle that is a great metro (aside from traffic). It's not Raleigh where you can't avoid angrily persistent beggars downtown. Nor where you must avoid large swathes of the city due to gang violence. Nor where even a majority of the wealthy think the world revolves around NASCAR and giant pickups (You can't buy class). Nor that international corporations avoid in favor of southern cities like Raleigh and Atlanta when locating headquarters.

It might improve in the future (let's hope!), but for now Charlotte's only saving grace is all the local corporations that call it home. I'll be happy for every dollar Charlotte's economy brings to the state and region, but you must admit there's more to be proud about hi-tech industries bringing in billions than a bunch of mouth-breathers and tobacco-spitters throwing their money at cars casually circling a track. Charlotte's like a prostitute mother - her kid appreciates that she puts nice clothes on his back and good food on the table, but he'd prefer she got the money by other means.
Oh okay you just want to rant about your personal issues with Charlotte, good laughs in there, really. I especially like the corporations quote, because, as we all know, Charlotte is struggling with headquarter relocations and national corporation presence....especially when compared to the Triad and Triangle. I also missed the part where it is said you have to be a Charlotte area resident in order to attend a Nascar race. Every year, the camping areas surrounding the speedway are filled with campers from around the country for a week leading up to the races....but from what I understand you don't really want to discuss any sort of rational information.

The way I see it, at least Charlotte has that option for those so called "rednecks" to come in and spend their hard earned money(which has the same value no matter who is spending it) in the Charlotte region.

I also don't understand your comments about beggars downtown; Just last month I was staying the Downtown Raleigh Marriott and was asked multiple times for cash when heading out. It got quite annoying actually. Im sure you would be happy for all of the money that Charlotte brings to the economy, but lets be honest, you really arent. If you want to talk about gangs....lets discuss Durham, less than half of Charlottes population and is a city with MAJOR gang problems, especially considering the size of the city.

I love your prostitute analogy, but in reality Charlotte brings in the most money, by far, and shows it well.

Last edited by carolinablue; 02-18-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
If you like the mountains, W-S, if you like the beach, Raleigh.
W-S hands down for me.
Too many people in Raliegh, tryin to hard. Comes across as fake

Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:

"Angrily persistent beggars" in downtown? That sounds like someone not well-traveled at all. Charlotte's panhandlers are quite tame and practically harmless when compared to those in larger cities like Atlanta and DC.

"Where even a majority of the wealthy think the world revolves around NASCAR and giant pickups"? Must be fun to just talk out of the side of your neck without a shred of proof to back anything up (and besides, NASCAR is a multi-billion dollar industry that pumps a lot of money in the Charlotte area; definitely an asset to the region).

So what international companies have avoided Charlotte in favor of Raleigh and Atlanta? I'd like to see a list of these, especially for Raleigh which performs a bit on the weaker side in terms of corporate headquarters relocation (with Charlotte getting ready to absorb one of Raleigh's F500 headquarters). But within the past two years or so, Charlotte has scored the following corporate headquarters relocation wins:

Charlotte Chamber - Extended Stay Hotels relocates HQ to Charlotte

Ongo | CPA firms plan merger, headquarters in Charlotte (http://www.ongo.com/v/211204/-1/D578BCF30FAC8441/cpa-firms-plan-merger-headquarters-in-charlotte - broken link)

Financial Services Group To Make Charlotte Headquarters | www.wsoctv.com

Chiquita relocating headquarters to Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Premier Inc. to move HQ to Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal

Snyder's of Hanover to merge with N. Carolina snackmaker Lance, Charlotte to be home to headquarters of newly combined company - Baltimore Sun

Babcock & Wilcox moving HQ to Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal

Electrolux to make Charlotte its North America HQ - Charlotte Business Journal

Charlotte Chamber - Husqvarna picks Charlotte for North and Latin America Headquarters

Cleveland's Wastequip relocates to Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal

But I suspect that you're really not interested in facts and just need an outlet for your juvenile, nonsensical rants.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 AM

322 posts, read 666,762 times
There isn't much of an argument for Raleigh when the main attraction at the state fair is a tractor pull...come on! Like I said earlier, you take away NCSU, and the state government/state museums, and what do you have left in Raleigh? Not much. Progress Energy is merging/moving to Charlotte after combining with Duke, and RBC has been bought up. OP: just settle in Winston-Salem...

Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Truth be told, it's really Durham that has caused the Triangle's rapid ascent, as the vast majority of RTP and the state's premier university are both located in Durham County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point