Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 41,535 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move near Winston in the next few months and am a little worried about the job situation. I was looking at the newspaper and there have been zero help wanted ads for weeks. I could transfer with my current job but would much rather start fresh if possible. My best friend lives in charlotte and according to them the situation is dire, with most jobs, if you can find them, paying minimum wage, which they said is $7? I know cost of living is less, but when looking for rentals it doesn't really seem that way. I haven't found a decent house for less than $750. I don't need anything huge, just a 2 bedroom around 1000 square feet that will allow pets and has a back yard near a good elementary school for my daughter. Any suggestions / input / advice? Thanks!

Last edited by missingDixie; 02-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 PM

34,194 posts, read 83,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingDixie View Post
I'm looking to move near Winston in the next few months and am a little worried about the job situation.
I was looking at the newspaper and there have been zero help wanted ads for weeks.
You don't say what it is that you do for work...
but (in general) if you don't have a real skill to offer you're not going to find much.
Anywhere.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM

I have a pharmacy tech certification, but don't am not sure if I'd need a state license in NC, I know you do in CA. Other than that, I don't have any "real skills"; I used to train horses, but I know those are a dime a dozen there. As I stated before, I could transfer with my current employer, but would prefer to just start new as it's only part-time work.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 AM

700 posts, read 1,650,646 times
Most jobs now are done though websites. Example Lowes Home Improvment stores use large job sites. But, for the most part. Use their websites. That is the trend as I see it.
Would start by transfering.
1. You have a good where your skill set is needed.
2. This would allow you to revamp you skills or search for another job.

REMEMBER Grass is always greener till you get on the other side and look back over and see the greener grass.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,640,104 times
If you're eager to move, why not transfer with your current job and then look for new/better work once you're established here?

Are you in CA now? If so, I can't believe you wouldn't find the cost of living much lower here (housing in particular). I lived in San Diego for 12 years, would love to go back (SD is my favorite place to live, with NC a close second) - but the cost of living is prohibitive.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,051,636 times
Quote:
I'm looking to move near Winston in the next few months and am a little worried about the job situation. I was looking at the newspaper and there have been zero help wanted ads for weeks.
I believe that the W-S paper stopped with the printed ads to save money. Last time I checked, if you went to the online site of the paper and clicked the Jobs section, it took you to Monster.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
If you're eager to move, why not transfer with your current job and then look for new/better work once you're established here?

Are you in CA now? If so, I can't believe you wouldn't find the cost of living much lower here (housing in particular). I lived in San Diego for 12 years, would love to go back (SD is my favorite place to live, with NC a close second) - but the cost of living is prohibitive.

I could transfer but was hoping to find something better. With the job situation how it is here, our family can't make ends meet. We have a free house, just pay power, and our other bills and its eating us alive. Edisons new " smart meters" have more than tripled our bill, but yet they are "functioning as intended". I lived in san Diego for a little while emelvee, then spent 3 years in Orange county. We're in the high desert now, near palm springs, and hate it. We have to drive over an hour for decent shopping, the people are rude, it just looks DIRTY, there's no grass or trees.... You get the idea; I want to come home. Lol. As far as cost of living, its $3 for a gallon of milk, no tax. Gas is $3.67. Our house would normally rent for around $900. It's 3 bed 2 bath, around 1800 feet, on 2 acres. But like I said it belongs to a family member, so we get it for free. Our power jumped from around $100 a month to over 400. Trash is a set $89 every quarter and water is $39 a month. With those numbers is cost of living that much less? Oh and our minimum wage is $8.25

Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM

13,390 posts, read 27,211,822 times
Quote:
With those numbers is cost of living that much less? Oh and our minimum wage is $8.25
No, cost of living is similar. But I recently paid over $4.00 for a gallon of milk, and food has a 2% sales tax. Our minimum wage is $7.25 (I believe), same as the Federal minimum wage.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
No, cost of living is similar. But I recently paid over $4.00 for a gallon of milk, and food has a 2% sales tax. Our minimum wage is $7.25 (I believe), same as the Federal minimum wage.
That's what I'm worried about. The milk is $3.29 for the generic store brand. If you go with the organic yummy stuff like horizon, its $5 for a half gallon unless you find it on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point