Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

33 posts, read 120,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Wow, I should stay far, far away from this topic... as we moved OUT of NC because of public schools! I will say we lived in NC for 15 years, and had 4 kids in a neighboring county school system for about the last 1/2 of that. Before, we were in Guilford County.

We were on the verge of filing lots of complaints with the state Dept of Ed, as our two older children were gifted (although the oldest has mild ADD), and our 3rd one has autism. We fought tooth and nail every year for what few accomodations we COULD get for all 3 kids. Our youngest, is basically pretty middle of the road, average kid, with no apparent "genius" or "disabilities".

Nightmare does not even begin to describe what I've seen in the Guilford County and surrounding school systems in the last 4-5 years. Lots of moving and shaking going on, and there is a lot going on that the state DOE will not reveal. Internal investigations over "best practices" and compliance with minimum federal standards will give you a clue. Let me just say, we were never happier to leave a state than NC. However, I do know our situation is very unique, and our negative may be far, far from what another family will experience.

Mary
Mary....can you concur that this might pertain to all of NC. We are looking at Clemmons and your feedback made us worry a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,853 times
We recently moved to NC from FL and were a bit taken aback by the public school system too (at first). Services are being cut everywhere and unfortunately the ESE kids are the hardest hit. I wouldn't panic over the school system here. You get what you fight for. There are excellent elementary schools in the NW area of Guilford county. Homes can be expensive in some of these areas, but if you visit the guilford county school web page - you can find a school boundary map that will give you a better idea of what school would pertain to your home/rental. Greatschools.net is a phenomenal website that gives you all the nitty-gritty details about the school including demographics, crime and test scores. There are alot of magnet schools available too. Charter schools are a great alternative too. With a little research, you will find the perfect school for your kids. Private schools are very very expensive!! Special education will be a struggle. We didn't have to fight for services in Fl; here we have already put on the gloves! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point