Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 02:54 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,856 times

Advertisements

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/ikea...ions-1.6363974

Interesting. I don't think we'd be getting one of the big box ones but I think one of the 9 "plan and order" stores would make sense.

I wouldn't rule out one of the larger stores either though, depending on the strategy Ikea takes (and they mentioned a focus on the coasts and the south). Maybe the Jamestown area would make some sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 03:55 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,221,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/ikea...ions-1.6363974

Interesting. I don't think we'd be getting one of the big box ones but I think one of the 9 "plan and order" stores would make sense.

I wouldn't rule out one of the larger stores either though, depending on the strategy Ikea takes (and they mentioned a focus on the coasts and the south). Maybe the Jamestown area would make some sense?
Local city leaders should definitely push for the larger store. The article says in addition to the plan order stores they will build 8 large stores in the U.S. The Triad along with the Triangle are among the largest CMSAs in the country without an IKEA so there is a possibility. This area particularly High Point has a rich history in furniture and home furnishings. High Point hosts the world's largest home furnishings market so that does carry some weight there. The thing is if the Triangle is a more lucrative market for IKEA and they build one there, would a third store in North Carolina be realistic? A Triad location would make a lot if sense in between Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point instead of one city over another.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:17 PM

377 posts, read 204,779 times
IKEA. LOL Is that still a thing? Yawn

Old 04-20-2023, 10:34 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,221,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
IKEA. LOL Is that still a thing? Yawn
Actually it is. They have very nice and unique home furnishings. Very popular with millennials as well.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
The Triangle was previously slated to receive a store in Cary that was canceled due to a reported evolving business model that was moving away from its big box store format. It seems that they have now come back around to a hybrid business model of having both more big box stores plus some delivery sites for orders. Given the Triangle's larger size, faster growth, and Ikea's previous interest in Cary, I'd suspect that they'd revisit a Triangle store location, but I can also imagine them putting in a pick-up point "store" in the Triad. Even if they didn't, and if Ikea put a store in the Triangle, Triad residents are only 90 minutes or so from either the store in Charlotte or to a new one in the Triangle.
Back before Ikea was even in NC, I had always thought that a single store in Greensboro would make the most sense to cover the Piedmont Crescent. When Ikea chose to go to Charlotte, that changed how I think of coverage for the state. A store in the Triangle now makes more sense to cover the entire stretch from Wilmington to Winston-Salem along I40.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Triangle was previously slated to receive a store in Cary that was canceled due to a reported evolving business model that was moving away from its big box store format. It seems that they have now come back around to a hybrid business model of having both more big box stores plus some delivery sites for orders. Given the Triangle's larger size, faster growth, and Ikea's previous interest in Cary, I'd suspect that they'd revisit a Triangle store location, but I can also imagine them putting in a pick-up point "store" in the Triad. Even if they didn't, and if Ikea put a store in the Triangle, Triad residents are only 90 minutes or so from either the store in Charlotte or to a new one in the Triangle.
Back before Ikea was even in NC, I had always thought that a single store in Greensboro would make the most sense to cover the Piedmont Crescent. When Ikea chose to go to Charlotte, that changed how I think of coverage for the state. A store in the Triangle now makes more sense to cover the entire stretch from Wilmington to Winston-Salem along I40.
Yeah. It's far more likely that the Triangle gets the store than the Triad and I doubt they do two of their "big" stores in NC.

My guess is that they will either do a big store near where they were considering before and the Triad gets a "plan and order" OR they put a "big" store in the Durham/Hillsborough/Mebane area and try to capture both the Triangle and the Triad.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:30 PM

743 posts, read 825,807 times
Keep in mind that the Charlotte store serves the entire Carolinas, especially since all the major population centers in both states are 4 hrs or less from CLT

Old 04-21-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Keep in mind that the Charlotte store serves the entire Carolinas, especially since all the major population centers in both states are 4 hrs or less from CLT
That might be case as it stands but doesn't have to remain the case. Woodbridge sort of carried Virginia similarly for a long time until Norfolk was built. IKEA Woodbridge is also about an hour or less (in decent traffic conditions) from College Park.

The Charlotte Ikea is over twice that far from Cary. But I do agree it's no given that NC gets a big store.

They appear to have zero locations in LA/MS/AL. I bet at least two are in those three states (one in Baton Rouge/New Orleans and at least one in Alabama and/or Mississippi).

That said, I don't get the hype. But I've never been to one.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:44 PM

743 posts, read 825,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
That might be case as it stands but doesn't have to remain the case. Woodbridge sort of carried Virginia similarly for a long time until Norfolk was built. IKEA Woodbridge is also about an hour or less (in decent traffic conditions) from College Park.

The Charlotte Ikea is over twice that far from Cary. But I do agree it's no given that NC gets a big store.

They appear to have zero locations in LA/MS/AL. I bet at least two are in those three states (one in Baton Rouge/New Orleans and at least one in Alabama and/or Mississippi).

That said, I don't get the hype. But I've never been to one.
I think the Triangle gets a store at some point just as I expect Wegmans to put a store in Charlotte before the Triad

Old 04-21-2023, 02:56 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Given Ikea's propensity to build near existing upscale shopping clusters, a location near Streets at Southpoint in Durham fulfills that and is centric to the entire CSA plus conceivably the Triad at just over an hour away if an intention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point