Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 03:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given Ikea's propensity to build near existing upscale shopping clusters, a location near Streets at Southpoint in Durham fulfills that and is centric to the entire CSA plus conceivably the Triad at just over an hour away if an intention.
I still think that they'd revisit where they were previously slated to open a store. While Epic Games purchased the former Cary Towne Center after Ikea's exit from its earlier commitment, Fenton has risen literally across the street. FWIW, Fenton is an upscale outdoor shopping district that has plans to expand throughout the decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 03:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Keep in mind that the Charlotte store serves the entire Carolinas, especially since all the major population centers in both states are 4 hrs or less from CLT
The Piedmont Crescent from Charlotte to Raleigh now houses nearly 7 million people. If we compare that to markets of similar size like Miami, it's easy to see Ikea making a second play in Piedmont NC. In the Miami metro, there are stores in the side by side counties of MiamiDade and Broward.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
The Triad is too close to the Charlotte store to make sense.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:52 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
Quote:
Ikea to open urban-format stores in Fairfax, Gaithersburg
https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...thersburg.html

Old 05-02-2023, 09:21 AM

386 posts, read 291,745 times
Could u imagine if Walmart or Target adopted the Ikea business model.. only one store to service 3 or 4 surrounding cities!! I still can't wrap my head around how Ikea's business model helps them.. wouldnt more locations maybe even smaller stores help them turn a profit?!?

Old 05-02-2023, 10:13 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Could u imagine if Walmart or Target adopted the Ikea business model.. only one store to service 3 or 4 surrounding cities!! I still can't wrap my head around how Ikea's business model helps them.. wouldnt more locations maybe even smaller stores help them turn a profit?!?

I agree. They would reach more customers. Maybe their thinking is to create their stores into destinations to create demand I don't know. But even if they open smaller footprint stores for smaller markets and offer more exclusive products at the larger stores

Old 05-02-2023, 01:43 PM

743 posts, read 826,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
You do know you could fit 3 average sized Walmart stores inside the IKEA in Charlotte . IKEA isn't selling high end products & when you have stores that big they need to generate a ton sales to make them profitable.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:29 PM

386 posts, read 291,745 times
Yes I know how big Ikea is , I have been there. I still don't see why they don't go with smaller foot print stores . I'm sure they could be the size of the "At Home" store on Wendover and be just fine!

Old 05-02-2023, 03:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The Triad is too close to the Charlotte store to make sense.
true…Greensboro is an hour and 10 minutes minutes from here..not really that far. And depending on traffic less than that.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:00 PM

615 posts, read 538,926 times
Presently Charlotte csa is 2.9 mil, Triangle csa is 2.1 M, Triad csa is 1.7 M, Green-Spart csa is 1.5 M, and Charleston does not have a csa but it’s MSA is 800K. The question is where to put a store or two stores to accomodate these areas? I do think the Triangle gets one that also serves eastern NC. But where does a store go to serve the 5 million people in SC? I think these people have to be served before the Triad. And Myrtle Beach is the fastest growing MSA in the Carolinas by percentage growth. It has a population of just over 500K. If IKEA decides it needs another store to serve SC, where does it go? It can’t go in Green-Spart because it is too far west to serve the state. But Green-Spart has the largest population in SC. Would it go in Columbia? Or would it go in South Charlotte? I think this dilemma may prevent a store in the Triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point