Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,594,070 times

Advertisements

I was up visiting some family yesterday and I had a nostalgic moment of the life I use to live.

I was at my mom's house and she needed printing paper after 7pm on a Sunday and my first thought was you are hopeless in this town to find that since everything will be closed.
I called the Walmart and they told me they are 24 hours and for some reason that amazed me since it to me is "small town" life but they saved her printing issues.

The nostalgic moment I had was that I was able to get their within five minute and I was home in less than 30 minutes.

Wow I really miss that!!

You can get to work, something to eat or go shopping within five to ten minutes. If it takes you longer than that you are heading into another city.

I love going around there and you can see large size homes on acre or more price less than 150k and that is unheard of in the Charlotte or Raliegh Metro area unless you want to sacrifice safety.

I love the town still has a true Hardware store and mom and pop Grocery store Lanier Hardware and they have everything from past to present.
Conrad Hinkles Groceries where they still will cut your meat as you desire and have the best Pimento Cheese.

I love how the town isnt clickish and very accepting of newcomers. If you frequent a favorite store or restaurant you will develop a friendly relationship with people who work in these establishments and sometimes they remember what you are looking for.

Sometimes I think that now I am living closer to what I enjoy but it really is further, but when I was further from the things I enjoyed it felt closer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM

525 posts, read 2,126,474 times
Lexington (my hometown) will soon be overrun with folks- once people get wind of the low taxes and "slice of small town living" (along with the amazing prices) it will become a bedroom community.

Course, we gotta convince the locals that 20-30 minutes ain't no commute at all. But you know how us southerners are.

I do love the Fancy Pastry, who makes the best cakes in the world, period. And Southern Lunch (burned but hopefully being rebuilt).

It's a nice little town. Kind of obsessed with pigs tho...

Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
L

I do love the Fancy Pastry, who makes the best cakes in the world, period. And Southern Lunch (burned but hopefully being rebuilt).
You said a GOOD mouthful when you said Fancy Pastry!!! You walk in there and you feel like you stepped into cake city!!! LOL!!! MMMMMMM!!!!! Oh, and let's not forget the Candy Store on Main either...

Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 AM

20 posts, read 88,666 times
Default We love it too

My wife and I are planning to move to the Triad area next year when I retire. We were looking at houses in the Winston-Salem area and then we found Lexington. We fell in love with it. We like the city--we like the people-- we like the lifestyle and we like the slower pace.
We are moving from PA. We don't want to bring the northern, fast-paced traditions with us. We want to blend in and enjoy the Southern lifestyle. With any luck, we will slow down and soon be saying y'all.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1zck1v View Post
My wife and I are planning to move to the Triad area next year when I retire. We were looking at houses in the Winston-Salem area and then we found Lexington. We fell in love with it. We like the city--we like the people-- we like the lifestyle and we like the slower pace.
We are moving from PA. We don't want to bring the northern, fast-paced traditions with us. We want to blend in and enjoy the Southern lifestyle. With any luck, we will slow down and soon be saying y'all.
Remember, we move at a slower pace, and we don't like to use our turn signals!

Let me know if I can help in the move.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 PM

29 posts, read 110,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1zck1v View Post
I agree! We(Northerners) have to convince people that we don't want to bring our "ways" with us. That's why we're looking to relocate!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:11 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,671,336 times
SunnyKayak, hopefully you made it back Saturday for the BBQ Festival. That must've been a record crowd.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
SunnyKayak, hopefully you made it back Saturday for the BBQ Festival. That must've been a record crowd.
an estimated 175,000 people, which I hear was a new record. And the sun came out just in time!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,594,070 times
That is great they had a record crowd. I didnt make it this year due to my partner had to work.
I wish I had the items I bought with the BBQ logos from the first barbecue festival but I was young so collecting was not on my mind.

They should consider expanding Barbecue Festival into a 2 day or 3 day weekend event.
It would be great for the local hotels and tourism dollar for the city.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They should consider expanding Barbecue Festival into a 2 day or 3 day weekend event.
It would be great for the local hotels and tourism dollar for the city.
I think they did that at one time but by Sunday everyone was bbq'd out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point