Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:32 PM

31 posts, read 90,559 times

Advertisements

I don't see much in Triangle threads on this. Is Mebane part of this Triad Area? What is it like? I am considering a move here for some peace and quiet and a change from big city life. And I DO like diversity and do NOT consider diversity equals ghettos or slums or chaos (saw in other thread). Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Which forum is Mebane in?

Sorry, can't find much on this. Triangle or Triad or nuthin' ?

Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
That's a judgment call, but generally Alamance County is considered to be located in the Piedmont Triad area of the state.

Counties of the Piedmont Triad Area

Alamance
Caswell
Davie
Davidson
Forsyth
Guilford
Randolph
Rockingham
Stokes
Surry
Yadkin

Last edited by mm34b; 10-28-2007 at 05:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,984 times
It's occasionally mentioned in the Triangle forums, but very very rarely.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,932 times
Default Mebane

I think your first thought, the Triangle, was closer to the mark for Mebane.

If you have not done so, suggest you ask the question on the Triangle.

It has been awhile since I lived in that area, but having driven through there two weeks ago, I guess I am the current expert, until somebody else comes along.

Mebane is close to the western side of the Triangle and a little farther east of the Triad. It is a small town along US Highway 70 and has the mainline for the old NC Railroad (now Norfolk Southern) running through it. It used to be furniture (White Furniture Co) textiles, and dairy farms made up the economy. Kingsdown, the mattress people, still manufacture there (believe they started there in the early 1900's.

While driving through, on US 70, I saw many new developments from Burlington, Mebane, and Efland. For the most part, it appears that it now is a bedroom community for Chapel Hill and Greeensboro. Easy commutes with I-85 and the newer I-40, which run together from Greensboro to east of Mebane.

The area is made up of moderately rolling hills, lots of larger size old farms, and good water. Burlington or Hillsborough (est. in the 1750's) are close, Chapel Hill and Durham's west side are 20 miles, and Greensboro is 30 miles away. The RTP and west Raleigh are about an hour in good traffic.
For what it is worth, on average gas is probably the cheapest there of most places in NC.

My favorite part of Mebane was the older houses (1910's and 20's) alongside the railroad. Back then, you could have them for very little.

I do not know how diverse the population is now. I can only guess that it is still a very safe area to live in. Sperlings demographic data would be able to tell you much about that if someone else does not chime in with answers.

Good luck in your search.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,932 times
Default Found you some city-data info

Here is a link to city-data. It has town information and then some questions from other posters from 2006.
Mebane, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 AM

Thanks! I'll check this out!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 AM

Thank you very much.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,743 times
Mebane is sort of in both. These days, it is much more of a bedroom community to RTP/triangle than ever, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear mention of it in the Triangle Forum.

Do you have any questions about the town? I live nearby.

And for newcomers: Mebane is pronounced Meb, rhymes with Jeb, + in---not Mee + Bane!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Default questions about Mebane

Yes, thank you, I have questions. Are there any good coffee shops? Good carpenters? Good general contractors? Is Mebane as friendly as Hillsborough? Anything you would like to share about the town...I'd be most grateful. It seems like the NC I was thinking about when I came here. Rather than the rushhhhhh of the Triangle (love to visit...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point