Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,159 times

Advertisements

My family and I are deeply considering relocating to NC. We currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL We need a change I have been doing research and reading the message boards. I am torn between Raleigh, Durham, and Cary OR Greensboro, Winston-Salem areas. I am looking for a job and I guess the deciding factor will be where I can get a decent job. My field is in Social Work and my husband is a truck driver. We have 2 daughters ages 2 and 15. School district, being close to shopping and resturants, as well as finding a safe, quiet, decent neighborhood to rent a house in is very important. Plez help...need some advise.

Thanxs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM

525 posts, read 2,127,956 times
Greensboro/HP/Winston-Salem have tons of trucking jobs. And the commute between the towns is relatively short. Good schools too. Come to the Piedmont Triad and enjoy the good life!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM

22 posts, read 796,486 times
Another fellow transplant. I (hopefully) will be moved into the Greensboro/High Point area in the next few months. Guess where? Fort Lauderdale. Yes, it's that bad in South florida

Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM

21 posts, read 55,329 times
We're moving down in the next few months as well from Rhode Island. We're also debating between the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte areas. I'm in the car business and am trying to stay with the same brand. But there are only 5 dealerships for Lexus in NC and they're owned by 3 groups. The one in Charlotte only hires from within and I'm waiting to hear back from the other two. I've only been to NC once and that was for a layover in Raleigh-Durham. I guess we'll have to fly down and spend some time driving around and investigating. Is there any "car center" type places in these 3 metro areas? We have "auto miles" up here with just about every brand represented. Is there something similar in either of these 3 metros?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 AM

There are more car dealerships in Greensboro than I have ever seen in any other small metro area. There's a whole strip on Wendover. Crown owns quite a bit, but there are others nearby, so I don't see how you couldn't be in demand if you have experience.

Let me know if you need some help in GSO!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 AM

28 posts, read 163,170 times
lele07, good luck on your move to GSO/Winston. It's not a bad area, although I moved to.. you guessed it..Ft.Lauderdale a few years ago. Gotta admit, I love Ft.Lauderdale, but there are things about Gso I miss too (friendlier people, slower pace, beautiful surroundings....) ..but there are things I DON'T miss about Gso (ice storms, a less active social scene, and a bit more "narrow minded" attitude about things.

The Greensboro-WinstonSalem-HighPoint Metro area is actually larger than Ft.Lauderdale, so if you're moving to GSO/WS to save money then just keep in mind (despite what you have heard), the cost of living (except for housing) is about the same in that area as it is in FTL. Also keep in mind that, with some exceptions, the job market is a bit less open than in S.Florida, so finding a job might take a bit longer. I'm not familiar with the availability of jobs for persons in the Social Work field, sorry.

Commuting between the 3 cities is easy: Winston is about 20 Minutes West of Greensboro. and HighPoint and Greensboro share city limits lines to the south and are becoming one large city.

If you just want to get a job while you look, then there are several big industries in the area. Call center jobs are in abundance (Amex, Visa, Replacements Ltd, UPS, Deluxe Checks....) Furniture is a big employer as well as Vehicle Sales and plenty of Retail...so there are jobs to be had.

If you decide to buy or rent, I can recommend a few areas: (1)The Gso Battleground Corridor (areas off of Battleground Avenue area in Greensboro). That area is a bit quieter, somewhat safer, and decent schools for your little ones. You're close to the areas largest open shopping centers (Friendly Center) (2) A less expensive option might be the downtown area of Gso, near UNC-G ..but I'm not sure you'd be thrilled with the schools your kids might have to attend and decent shopping is away from downtown. (3) The 4 Seasons Town Center area has some less expensive rental houses than the other two areas and is close to the area's largest mall and plenty of restaurants.

I can also recommend a good realtor in Gso if you decide to buy. IF so, email me and I'll send you her data.

RDU (Raleigh-Durham area) is quite a bit more congested, with more traffic, more noise and a big-city feel. The RDU area has as much, if not more, traffic that Ft.Lauderdale. On the positive side, a larger city means more choice in housing and jobs. The cost of living tends to be about the same in RDU as GSO/WS. (I've lived in both areas, and prefer Gso hands-down.)

Greensboro-Winston area is also convenient for those "out of town weekend trips". Atlanta Metro area is 5 hours south. DC Metro is 5 hours north. Charlotte Metro is 1 hour south. Durham is 1 hour east and Raleigh is 1.5 hours east.

I wish you luck on your journey.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallblondeguyFL View Post

I can also recommend a good realtor in Gso if you decide to buy. IF so, email me and I'll send you her data.
I can also recommend an excellent Realtor in the Greensboro area...

Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM

183 posts, read 568,640 times
Default I just moved from Pembroke Pines Fl .....

And love it....i have been here for 3 1/2 weeks, and am waiting for my family to join me. I work for a large car group(Flow) and love the people, surroundings and basically everything here. I will be glad to assist anyony in any way I can
Craig

Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 AM

893 posts, read 797,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lele07 View Post
My family and I are deeply considering relocating to NC. We currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL We need a change I have been doing research and reading the message boards. I am torn between Raleigh, Durham, and Cary OR Greensboro, Winston-Salem areas. I am looking for a job and I guess the deciding factor will be where I can get a decent job. My field is in Social Work and my husband is a truck driver. We have 2 daughters ages 2 and 15. School district, being close to shopping and resturants, as well as finding a safe, quiet, decent neighborhood to rent a house in is very important. Plez help...need some advise.

Thanxs
I'm a sucker for the Winston Salem area and the shopping is delitelful

Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 AM

And Greensboro doesn't suck either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point