Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 AM

13 posts, read 29,729 times

Advertisements

We are family considering relocating from central NJ to Greensboro for a new job, shorter commute, milder weather, lower property taxes, and affordable housing. For those who also relocated to NJ can you share your experience?

1. Why did you move to Greensboro or surrounding area? Was it everything you expected?
  2. What do you like and don't like about Greensboro?
  3. How long have you been in Greensboro? Have you adjusted?
  4. What do you miss about NJ?
  5. Are people that much nicer, as other transplants reported? Do they welcome northerners?
  6. How is the education system?
  7. Are a lot more bugs and critters?
  8. Do you believe we can find a shorter commute, milder weather, lower property taxes, and affordable housing in Greensboro?
  9. Is there a lot of crime in Greensboro area?
  10. Can you recommend some towns to move to? Our criteria is safe, conveniently located and good schools.
  11. Do you miss being closer to the beach?
  12. Why shouldn't we move to Greensboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 06:20 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlier View Post
We are family considering relocating from central NJ to Greensboro for a new job...
Do you have a real choice in the matter or is this job change deal being pressed on you?

Quote:
lower property taxes and affordable housing...
will be reflected in the lower wage rates and quality of services (like schools).

Old 03-20-2014, 05:05 PM

It is my choice to relocate for the reasons stated.

can you please describe your experience with quality of schools?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 15,623 times
It's pretty hard to address your school question. Are you moving from something like Newark public schools or Ridgewood? In general, Greensboro public schools are not going to be as good as the better NJ districts. The expectations of the students are different and its hard to learn when you lose a dozen days to 'bad weather' when you take into account all of the missed days plus delayed openings. Taxes are much lower and commute times are generally shorter if you want them to be. Less traffic, lower costs for most goods & services. You have to pump your own gas.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMal View Post
It's pretty hard to address your school question. Are you moving from something like Newark public schools or Ridgewood? In general, Greensboro public schools are not going to be as good as the better NJ districts. The expectations of the students are different and its hard to learn when you lose a dozen days to 'bad weather' when you take into account all of the missed days plus delayed openings. Taxes are much lower and commute times are generally shorter if you want them to be. Less traffic, lower costs for most goods & services. You have to pump your own gas.
Neither Newark or Ridgewood schools. Just average I guess.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
Hello. I am originally from lower Hudson Valley, NY and lived in Boston before moving here. I have spent a great deal of time in NJ, as most of my family is there, so I think I have enough insight to provide some responses to your questions:

1. Why did you move to Greensboro or surrounding area? Was it everything you expected? My significant other's job prompted our move. It has been a pleasant surprise to move to this area and I love it here.
2. What do you like and don't like about Greensboro? I like the easy accessibility (both in/out of the city itself and to other locations such as the mountains and beaches or other large southern cities). It's a generally clean city/area. There are great restaurants and activities. Even in my short time here, I've noticed a lot of construction (read as: thriving city!).
3. How long have you been in Greensboro? Have you adjusted? I have been here about 7 months and have adjusted much faster and more easily than I'd expected.
4. What do you miss about NJ? Again, I am not from NJ but from the areas in NJ that I've spent most of my time, I would say GSO is a lot less congested, both with housing and traffic; maybe more green spaces.
5. Are people that much nicer, as other transplants reported? Do they welcome northerners? As a transplant, I can report "yes"! Southern hospitality is real. As long as you welcome it, smile, and aren't afraid to have a conversation with a stranger! That's mostly why I've quickly adapted. I felt very welcomed here, and I also met a lot of other northern transplants.
6. How is the education system? Unfortunately, I can't speak on this matter as I don't know.
7. Are a lot more bugs and critters? I work in GSO but live in a more rural suburb 30 miles north. There are certainly more critters, but nothing that's invasive or has negative impact on my life. In fact, I have the daily pleasure of watching deer and birds fill the backyard.
8. Do you believe we can find a shorter commute, milder weather, lower property taxes, and affordable housing in Greensboro? Yes, to all of the above. I'd recommend using websites/apps such as Zillow and Trulia to check out real estate listings. You'd be surprised how much further your money can go down here. On average, I'd bet it's nearly 15 degrees higher here than up north. The commute is better than anything I'd experienced in the Boston or northern NJ area.
9. Is there a lot of crime in Greensboro area? It has crime like any other city. I would speak with a realtor to learn the neighborhoods better.
10. Can you recommend some towns to move to? Our criteria is safe, conveniently located and good schools. I don't live in either, but Oak Ridge and Summerfield seem like great places to raise a family and both have convenient access to GSO.
11. Do you miss being closer to the beach? No, I don't. They're only a few hours away if I want them. There are some gorgeous lakes in our area, and those are far less crowded than the beaches! Easy access for picnics, hikes, or kayaking.
12. Why shouldn't we move to Greensboro? Maybe a downside would be distance from your relatives? GSO has its own airport, including direct flights to LaGuardia, so I've quickly forgotten the distance aspect. Plus, it's a pretty city and great area to have relatives visit!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 PM

I appreciate your thorough reply.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
In regards to Flights to NJ, Frontier has a flight to Trenton-Mercer From GSO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point