Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,776,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
It seems like STEM recruiters keep regurgitating the ol' myth of the "skills gap" again and again. It is not so much about finding qualified people as it is about finding qualified people who will work for pennies. Am I wrong?
Exactly.

Anytime you hear someone say, "We can't find qualified workers..."

you have to remember to add the unspoken, ".....at the wages we are willing to pay."

read their reviews on glassdoor.. and you see a pattern. It is run by people who do not value tech employees.
Inmar Reviews | Glassdoor
Deadlines are dictated by the CIO or by salespeople. Essentially planning by random date. This leads to overtime burnout and talent loss. Management insults or fires people for not hitting unrealistic dates. Good employees look around, see this happening, and leave.
Cons – Concerns of upper management replacing people with seniority with younger people right out college for half the money. New CEO announced at 30th Inmar anniversary the younger people will be the ones to make a difference. Company has fired in the past two years a lot of people with tenure and knowledge that made Inmar.
Cons – There are too many to mention. But I will start with employees being asked to write positive reviews of the company. Of course, they targeted employees who had jobs beyond their skills. There is no room for advancement unless you have the right look or are related to someone there. The CEO, CIO and a division President all have relatives employed by Inmar. Not to mention the executive assistants who have children working there. Or better yet, how about the human resources director who hired her daughter?

Cons – Favoritism and nepotism is rampant throughout the company. Hard to picture any upper mobility when you see positions being created for a select few and family members. Pay structure is uneven and well below where it should be.

Upper management expects top notch results but won't pay for it nor invest in the technology needed.
Cons – Demand for rapid returns for private equity = management demands for abnormally high hours and fanatical workload per employee.
Cons – Every since David Mounts arrived Inmar.. PEOPLE WITH TENURE are getting booted out the door. Its all about the bottom line and getting younger people working for half the pay.

so they're firing well-paid people with the left hand, and hiring lower-paid people with the right hand, all the while claiming "labor shortages". this is exactly what IBM does, too.

Oh, and I'd like to add -- this bit about "Coder Foundry" is meaningless. The firm they're talking about, Inmar, won't hire software developers without a bachelor's of science in computer science.

Oh, and let's look at their leadership team -- not one of them has a B.S. in Computer Science, so it seems a bit... hypocritical... for a bunch of MBA's to complain that their developers won't work cheaply enough.
https://www.inmar.com/Pages/About_Us/Leadership.aspx

Last edited by le roi; 04-04-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 AM

144 posts, read 264,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You guys have a very different idea of what an apprentice is. I was an apprentice for a trade for five years which included five years of night school and 10000 hrs working with a journeyman before I becam a journeyman myself.

I guess the definition has changed over the years.
Were you not paid for those 10000 hrs? The article throws around the term "apprentice class" yet states that the student has to pay $7,000 up front, effectively making it only a class, not an apprenticeship.

You spent 5 years learning your craft before becoming a journeyman. At minimum an apprenticeship would last 3 years, but apparently it only takes 12 weeks (and $7,000) to become an IT data consultant. Is that even possible? I know little to nothing about the industry but those numbers seem sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point