Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM

52 posts, read 87,253 times

Advertisements

I live in WNC. My dr. wants to send me to Duke but since I would be going alone, I would rather go someplace closer. Compared to Duke, would this be a good choice? What kind of reputation does this hospital have? Thanks ahead of time for your comments . concal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,400,224 times
It depends on what you are going for, specialty-wise, but according to US News & World Report, Duke (assuming you mean the main Duke hospital and not Duke Regional) is the best hospital in North Carolina and Wake Forest Baptist is the second-best. Best Hospitals in North Carolina - US News Best Hospitals

That said, your doctor likely knows more about this than you or I do.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 AM

322 posts, read 667,426 times
I'll second Chicagoan's post. It does depend on the specialty. Both Medical Centers are research hospitals, and rated in numerous categories in the mentioned report. WFUBMC has a steller national reputation otherwise.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM

52 posts, read 87,253 times
that is part of the problem-I need a diagnosis. After many many tests no one can find out what is wrong with me. It could be either gastro intestinal or muscular skeletal or something totally different. What I need is a super diagnostician whose job is to puzzle out and to solve a mystery.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with either Wake or Duke. Wake is ranked by US News &World Report's rankings at #25 nationwide in Gastroenterology, and #30 in Neurology. Duke is #43 in Gastroenterology, and #25 in Neurology.

I know it won't make you better, but there is comfort in familiarity. I would rather be closer to home if I lived in western North Carolina. Your family physician should be able to refer you to a doctor that would have you covered.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,046,788 times
I have received fantastic treatment at WFBMC...I have cancer and was given 6 months to live by doctors at Emory University's Cancer Center, but had surgery (which Emory refused to do because of the danger) and got treatment at WFBMC and 4 years later I'm still here and doing fairly well. I can't say enough about WFBMC. I wouldn't drive all the way to Duke if WFBMC is closer. I totally believe you can at least get treatment equal to that you would get at Duke.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Good for you, Joe, and Godspeed. I am not surprised to hear about your treatment at WFBMC. It is rated also #1 for Cancer in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point