Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,166,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Where are there jobs for CPAs? And don't say Hanes

What's wrong with Hanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,049,808 times
Quote:
The restaurants were packed at nite, there were people around at nite. It was during the day that the area was like a ghost town.

I am not from NYC, I moved there for college. I grew up in a small town and would like to go somewhere else.

Where are there jobs for CPAs? And don't say Hanes
The point is that most days are not "like a ghost town". It's too bad you found it that way and are under the impression that it's usually that way. Weekdays are much more lively - just like most other downtowns...but you'll be working I assume.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 PM

371 posts, read 527,204 times
How easy is it to meet people in Winston Salem? I am in my early 30s and single. Is WS a place where most people are married with kids by the time they are 28?

I am sick of dealing with the scene in NYC. I would like to be able to meet someone and have a family sooner rather than later.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,404,691 times
Quote:
How easy is it to meet people in Winston Salem? I am in my early 30s and single. Is WS a place where most people are married with kids by the time they are 28?

I am sick of dealing with the scene in NYC. I would like to be able to meet someone and have a family sooner rather than later.
Winston isn't a place where most people are married with kids by 28. Most of the people I know who have kids are over 30. Then again, I mostly know people who work in healthcare and higher ed, and a by-product of pursuing advanced degrees is a natural postponing of starting a family. Still, while an awful lot of people might be paired up before 30, marriage and family that early aren't de rigueur.

I can't say that it's a Mecca for singles, either. There ARE plenty of younger single people: residents at the hospitals, people affiliated with Wake Forest U., young professionals, etc., but the single scene isn't as vibrant as it is in a larger city. That said, I know dozens of people who met their long-term partners in Winston. It happens. Like any place, it's easier to meet people if you get involved with something you're interested in: A cycling club or an art class or a community service group (or whatever).

Having said that, I've never seen a city where people get married and have kids later than they do in New York, so you're likely going to be experiencing a little culture shock in any smaller city, and that's especially true in the south.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM

I see people having their first kid in NYC at 40 and that is ridiculous. It is also a by product of everyone spending time online with the advent of the Internet.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,404,691 times
Quote:
I see people having their first kid in NYC at 40 and that is ridiculous. It is also a by product of everyone spending time online with the advent of the Internet.
You think New Yorkers get married and have kids later because of the internet?

Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You think New Yorkers get married and have kids later because of the internet?
No, of course not. Because it is so hard to meet people here. It makes it worse that the Internet has changed life and people don't go out as much to do shopping, etc.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 PM

6,163 posts, read 7,242,533 times
Im concerned about safety now. A fight involving nearly 300 teenagers broke out in downtown Winston-Salem.

Winston-Salem businesses react to large fight downtown involving teenagers | MyFOX8.com - News, Weather, Sports and more from WGHP Fox 8 Television

Old 06-14-2014, 11:13 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,877,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im concerned about safety now. A fight involving nearly 300 teenagers broke out in downtown Winston-Salem.

Winston-Salem businesses react to large fight downtown involving teenagers | MyFOX8.com - News, Weather, Sports and more from WGHP Fox 8 Television
Story is blown out of proportion, the fight most likely involved just a few people, people of high school age tend to flock to spectate but it is not like 300 teens were actually involved.

A similar thing happened in Greensboro last year where 400 teens were said to be involved in fight/riot

Curfew considered after massive brawl in downtown Greensboro | MyFOX8.com - News, Weather, Sports and more from WGHP Fox 8 Television

In both cases, you have a relatively small group of teens fighting, and a whole lot of others either running to watch, or running away from the scene, all on the same strip. Not 300 teens involved, not 400 teens involved.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,049,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

You're concerned about safety in Winston Salem from 25 miles away? That's genuine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point