Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 AM

38 posts, read 135,374 times

Advertisements

This was a great concern of mine and in fact it was the very first thing that popped up in my mind when my bf suggested we move to NC, HURRICANES.

Do hurricanes ever make it up North Caroline to cause any substantial damage? I do believe in the threats of global warming (did hear mention of shorter falls in nc) and superstorms are only on the rise. I am interested in Greensboro which is very much inland but what areas would you categorize as risky?

Is the heat there comfortable (70-75) and what are the regular highs there in the summer. I love to hike sidewalks with my babies but even here Im find myself choking on exhaust.

Anyone care to mention any new occurences in the weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 AM

799 posts, read 3,226,585 times
Here's a small bit on History of Hurricanes in NC - State Climate Office of North Carolina: NC Hurricanes (http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/hurricane.php - broken link)

But it doesn't show info for the Greensboro area, which is much farther inland. Alot of inland areas will tend to get the effects from a hurricane, but rarely the intensity...so think lots of thunderstorms, winds, and maybe even hail.

Having lived through 2 hurricanes, a nearby tornado, a flood and an earthquake, I can tell you the hurricane run off you might experience wouldn't be bad. BUT, if you are from say Ohio and don't get much thunderstorms like the south, then what you need to keep in mind are:

- street drainage
- how high your house sits on your lot
- age and health of trees immediately surrounding your home
- window insulation and durability
- having a safe area in the house, such as a basement or inner structure to stay in - case a hurricane does strike (your innermost structure could be a hallway or a bathroom doorframe, or even closet).
- supplies that are standard: a transsistor radio or TV, water, manual can openers and bottle openers and things like this. Not to mention all kinds of first aid, just in case.

The humidity in NC is what makes it feel so much worse. Personally I don't think it's as bad as Atlanta , GA or Jacksonville, FL, but it gets close!With any area there is a period of acclimatization. The year year is hardest (whether going to colder or to warmer), the second year you notice some adjsuting. By the 4th year you're doing great! Give it time. I hear some people acclimatize within 6 months! Not me!

Here's a precipitation link from the Weather Channel: Average Weather for Greensboro, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

All of NC has been hit pretty hard with the drought. I'm hoping to get a mature lot with lots of trees. Although it's not as safe, I do like the smell of hot pines in the summer. So sweet!

As for Global Warming, I'm with you and I take this very seriously. I think NC will become more arid over time perhaps, but who's to say for sure? That's the catch.

Something to keep in mind about flooding and mudslides - when the soil has been dry for a long time, especially if it's dense like clay soil is, then a sudden deluge of rain (like 8 inches) can cause serious problems because the soil can't take in the water the way it normally would have, or might. So, considering this, you don't want a really flat area (think Texas and all the trouble they've been having).

Tornados, which are a common fringe storm off the larger ones tend to happen in belts along the air stream. If you watch the weather channel often enough you will see the wind patterns in the US are pretty much the same all the time. There are wind "belts" all across the planets, dipping south occasionally or north. In the states in the north we get one that comes downwards heading east from the North (like Alaska). Montana, Wyoming are very cold winters and gets lots of snow. That one tends to dip back up as it either meets the great lakes or New York.

The other one comes from the gulf. This is what gives the south al the way from Texas to DC it's warm weather and humidity. This is where we get most of our rain from. In the last few years, it seems it's not heading as East as much, so the rain stops short in the mountains and doesn't come as far as Raleigh as it once did. But it can change, too.

Keep in mind, the sun has a 11 year cycle which also affects weather and heat.

Well, I have to go eat some lunch now. I hope this answers your questions some.

~ Angie

Old 02-10-2008, 01:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
You will most likely be concern with afternoon thunderstorms and the lightening and flash floods they produce. The triad is alot of hills to make it ideal against flooding just make sure you home is not in a flood plain.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
Pick your spot - Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina | Southeast Regional Climate Center

Weekly NC Drought Map - http://www.ncwater.org/drought/graphics/weekly_dm/20080205.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point