Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 AM

6,160 posts, read 7,228,112 times

Advertisements

Im still a little surprised at the ranking. One would argue that Wilmington is more charming than Greensboro and how Norfolk got in the list is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is not a list of the most charming cities in the South; it is a list of 15 overlooked charming cities in the South. I really hate it when local media completely change the title and meaning of these types of lists and it happens very often.
It's a missed opportunity, too, since CNN's short headline, shown in the retweet by Proximity, is "Most Underrated Cities in the South." By my read, that's more accurate and maybe more flattering.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,057,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Hart View Post
Has to be the downtown area and Ghent, because the rest of the city is terrible. Downtown Norfolk is pretty nice.
Downtown Norfolk isn't bad and is up and coming. I still want to go back and see what they did to Waterside. Ghent is pretty charming. But yeah, outside of those areas which account for about 10% of the city, Norfolk is a dump. And even downtown turns into a dump very quickly once you get past the Scope (their arena).

Old 08-11-2017, 10:34 AM

75 posts, read 76,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
It's a missed opportunity, too, since CNN's short headline, shown in the retweet by Proximity, is "Most Underrated Cities in the South." By my read, that's more accurate and maybe more flattering.
I like Greensboro, but wondered what the "supposed" authors found in GSO that they considered "charming." Appreciate knowing the actual standard applied in compiling the list. (Which is not to say that GSO doesn't have some "charming" neighborhoods, etc. Just not an adjective I'd think of immediately when driving Gate City Blvd. for instance)

Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecktheWindows View Post
I like Greensboro, but wondered what the "supposed" authors found in GSO that they considered "charming." Appreciate knowing the actual standard applied in compiling the list. (Which is not to say that GSO doesn't have some "charming" neighborhoods, etc. Just not an adjective I'd think of immediately when driving Gate City Blvd. for instance)
Did you read the CNN article? They lay out some of the specific things they like about Greensboro. 15 charming cities in the American South worth a visit - CNN | CNN Travel

And no, Gate City isn't exactly charming, but there's barely a charming town that doesn't have a less-than-welcoming road or two. I don't think it's fair to judge a city or town by its grungier corners.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Honestly I dont think there is any city thats 100 percent charming. Every city on the list may have charming neighborhoods or downtowns and maybe some charming restaurants or hotels. There is an ugly side on every city, even in places like Charleston. But I do think there are a number of cities ranked incorrectly on the list. For example, I think Wilmington is more charming than Greensboro an there is no way Greenville, SC should be near the bottom of the list.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-11-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 05:38 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecktheWindows View Post
gate city blvd looks really nice now tho

Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,815 times
How is Greenville SC as low as 15? Thats a Top 3 right there. And agreed on Norfolk. Hampton Roads is a cesspool.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:22 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCR75 View Post
How is Greenville SC as low as 15? Thats a Top 3 right there.
It's not a ranking, it's just a listing. The local media outlet got it wrong.

15 charming cities in the American South worth a visit | CNN Travel

Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM

223 posts, read 144,660 times
Born and raised in Norfolk Va. Just went to visit and fish last month. Norfolk has a lot of charming places to visit and see if you know where to go just like here in Greensboro. I love what they did to Waterside. Like what was said earlier each city has
charming areas. I've lived in a lot of cities and states and one thing I love doing is getting out and explore different cities around where I live. Each place has something that I enjoy seeing, like the historic districts to the older neighborhoods to the downtown districts and parks. I guess it depend on everyone's taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point