Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,435,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1987 View Post
Country, as I define it, is farms and cows and tractors everywhere. Whats what its like on all 4 sides of my village, but only for a little while before the next village. Our village, 17 miles from the city, has tractor pulls and a county concert every summer. That's the environement. There are plenty of roads with no one on them for me to test drive my 'rod when I am working on it at night...

So strange that pools aren't more common there. We will absolutely have one if we move down, even if it has to be on the smaller side
Oh okay. I guess "county" was a typo. I know what country is.

I lived in SC on the coast for years. many people have pools there because they can be used almost year round. That's not the case here. I am so sure my mother is thrilled we belonged to the neighborhood pool in Green Valley. We could walk there and hang out there all day during summer. My hair turned green back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 PM

79 posts, read 62,903 times
No no I explained cause different people define it differently. Some people in the southern part of the state (straight down) drive ah hour for a gallon of mile and tell me I live in the city. Even though there is one traffic light and tractor pulls lol

Still mind blown about the pools. Anywhere in NC would get more use of a pool than here, but so so so many houses have them

Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,637,594 times
FWIW, we have a pool and love it. We put it in a few years ago. Our subdivision is probably the nicest large subdivision in Davidson County, 500+ homes, but only 7 have pools. I am glad we chose northeast Davidson County when we moved to the Triad in 2011...low taxes ($400k home; about $2,500/year in taxes), good schools, but close to the cities in the area (20 minutes to downtown Winston-Salem or High Point, 25-30 minutes to downtown Greensboro)

Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,435,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
FWIW, we have a pool and love it. We put it in a few years ago. Our subdivision is probably the nicest large subdivision in Davidson County, 500+ homes, but only 7 have pools. I am glad we chose northeast Davidson County when we moved to the Triad in 2011...low taxes ($400k home; about $2,500/year in taxes), good schools, but close to the cities in the area (20 minutes to downtown Winston-Salem or High Point, 25-30 minutes to downtown Greensboro)

It's really pretty out there. The OP mentioned "county" but I think s/he meant "country". Beautiful rolling hills, cows, horses.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:19 AM

The village in the photo is the on I live in now, taken from its only intersection. The two photos of the county are taken within 200 yards of the house i moved to in 1991 when moved out here. Its about 1.5 miles from that intersection, my current home is about 900 feet from that intersection. The one with the barns in it has a house now; we drive through that town and past those two country photos every time we go to church or shopping, as there is a large village with everything one needs about 9 miles through that countryside/woods. From any of the photos I've posted, which are absolutely how I define "country" and "small-town-usa," you are in a "city" of 250,000/1,000,000metro in 20 minutes or less, even at 7:30 am usually. there are world renown universities, hospitals, etc.

Trying to replace this place is helping me remember why we moved back here in the first place. Other than the taxes, horrifically stunted job market via insane politics and taxes, and 6-7 months that see snow in a year, its pretty great.

Did i mention we are in a real estate "crisis" right now and houses, when the actually go for sale, have all out bidding wars before the realtor makes it there to pound in the sign?
Attached Thumbnails
Considering the area and have MANY questions-capture.jpg   Considering the area and have MANY questions-capture2.jpg   Considering the area and have MANY questions-capture3.jpg  

Old 03-27-2018, 06:44 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,424,048 times
Have you actually spent time in this area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem)? The lifestyle you’re describing (barns and large lots in tiny towns within 20 minutes of a city with excellent hospitals and universities) absolutely describes some areas I know of around Clemmons, Lewisvillle, Pfafftown, etc.

The confusion around “country” is solely due to you accidentally typing “county”. I can’t speak for everyone, but I thought maybe there was some regional definition of “county life” up your way that we’d never heard. Maybe out in the county vs inside city limits. We alll know what “country” (with an R) is, and country life isn’t rare or hard to find here.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 AM

Yea that was quite a typo. But ironically there is varying definitions of county. Like I said, someone south of here by 80 minutes would call me “city folk” as might someone from SD. Someone from Manhattan would probably call our downtown a suburb and a suburb rural

But, that all said, seems like we are all on the same page. I’ve stuffed Greensboro and Raleigh on paper but have only passed through in c2000 and wasn’t thinking relocation. Wilmington I’ve spent time in, loved it. Just don’t want to be on the beach. Yard, barns, hurricanes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point