Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:22 PM

520 posts, read 844,022 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 with a toddler and an infant looking to escape the frustrations of NYC, preferably south.

There is an opportunity in Rockingham and in Salem. While I am happy to be in a smaller city or a bigger town, I don’t know if It will be a total shock to us to move from NY Queens to Rockingham which we have’t visited. We both like museums, music, art, diverse food, foreign and independent cinema, nature (parks). While neither one of us need that in abundance, we still need some culture. The job in Rockingham is a greater opportunity, where as in Salem its parallel to the NYC position.

Could some of you please share your views on both towns, as they would relate to a family coming from a bigger city. I am just afraid I might be miserable in Rockingham, since I am currently a stay at home mom. And I would feel terrible if my husband commutes to Rockingham an hour each way, which is what he does here anyway, but we are looking to improve that by leaving nyc. Are there nearby towns which are a little more lively? And how does Salem compare to Raleigh or Chapel Hill (those we visited 8 years ago)?

We would be looking to rent for now and always being a city person, And now a worrier mom with kids I wouldn’t want to be isolated from a community. A huge house with a huge lot doesn’t appeal to us, especially if it means we are far from society and can’t walk to a store. Hope this doesn’t come off as silly and narrowminded, I realize I have very minimal knowledge of non-urban life. I love Cleveland though, but would never move there due to their brutal winters, as an example of my preference.

Really appreciate your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Winston Salem?

Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 PM

Yes, sorry. Winston-Salem.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:18 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
And what do you mean by "Rockingham"? The small town of Rockingham, in Richmond County, or Rockingham County? Did you like Raleigh and Chapel Hill when you visited? Have you ever been anywhere else in NC?

Old 04-07-2018, 05:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Please use complete city and town and county names. I have no idea where you are talking about.

Are you talking about Rockingham, NC in Richmond County? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockin...North_Carolina

There's a Salem, NC in Burke County. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem,_North_Carolina

If you're talking about Winston-Salem you really need to call it Winston-Salem. No one calls it Salem, ever. Sometimes folks call it Winston, but if you mean Winston-Salem you really need to type all the words so you are clear. If you say Salem I think Old Salem? Salem College? Salem, VA?

If you're talking about a job in Rockingham County, WHERE in Rockingham County? There's a big difference in being up around the state line on the NE side near Danville VA vs being on the SW side down near Stokesdale and Summerfield and Belews Lake.

What is the job?

Last edited by poppydog; 04-07-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 05:53 PM

I guess I am completely lacking proper details! �� That’s what happens when one posts on a cellphone while rocking a baby to sleep. And I can’t edit the original post.

So... it’s Winston-Salem and the other job opportunity is in Eden, NC, which I understand is in the Rockingham County. I hope I finally clarified everything.

Husband and I just visited a handful of places many years ago. Raleigh, Durham, Chape Hill and the Outerbanks. The roadtrip was very short, thus my recollection is somewhat muddy.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And what do you mean by "Rockingham"? The small town of Rockingham, in Richmond County, or Rockingham County? Did you like Raleigh and Chapel Hill when you visited? Have you ever been anywhere else in NC?
I hope I clarified things in the earlier post. I am surprised at the number of duplicate names. I will be more careful next time.

I remember liking Chapel Hill and Durham more than Raleigh. But I was young and childless then with different priorities.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:25 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Ok, great, that clarifies things. Sorry if you felt attacked, that wasn't my intent. You definitely don't want to live in Eden, or anywhere else in Rockingham County.

Greensboro has some nice suburbs about 30 minutes from Eden: Oak Ridge and Summerfield. Good schools, very safe, very suburban. Not walkable, and nothing like NYC.

Winston-Salem is a great city, but again, nothing like NYC. Its similar to Raleigh, in that its a very suburban city surrounding a small urban core. Raleigh is much larger, and growing much faster. In W-S there are very specific areas that are somewhat walkable, but in general, NC means driving. W-S has a strong arts culture, good restaurants and a renovated downtown. Just keep in mind its a fairly small city, so strong and good are relative.

Chapel Hill is a smallish college town. Not many places in the state are similar.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Ok, great, that clarifies things. Sorry if you felt attacked, that wasn't my intent. You definitely don't want to live in Eden, or anywhere else in Rockingham County.

Greensboro has some nice suburbs about 30 minutes from Eden: Oak Ridge and Summerfield. Good schools, very safe, very suburban. Not walkable, and nothing like NYC.

Winston-Salem is a great city, but again, nothing like NYC. Its similar to Raleigh, in that its a very suburban city surrounding a small urban core. Raleigh is much larger, and growing much faster. In W-S there are very specific areas that are somewhat walkable, but in general, NC means driving. W-S has a strong arts culture, good restaurants and a renovated downtown. Just keep in mind its a fairly small city, so strong and good are relative.

Chapel Hill is a smallish college town. Not many places in the state are similar.
Thank you! No worries, your post made me learn a bit more about NC, so I am grateful.

Just to clarify, definitely not looking for another NYC. I prefer Cleveland like town, a mix of urban and suburban. Love the feel of Philadelphia, but hate the cold. And I love driving, just that I also like walking, and don’t like the feeling of geographical or social isolation.

Perhaps Raleigh has changed, it seemed a bit uninspiring 8 years ago. What are the neighborhoods in W-S that is closer to the urban core where it’s possible to walk to a store and a playground, or even just to take walks along a sidewalk? I always wanted to visit Charlotte and Ashville, but I doubt we would live in either. The healthcare management opportunities there are not as prominent in Ashville for sure.

So what are other possible areas to live in, to commute to WS or Eden? The ones that are similar to your discription of WS? And does Greenboro have a small utban core as well?

Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
If there are job opportunities in both Eden and Winston-Salem, that's a no-brainer. Winston-Salem is MUCH the better location to live and work and raise a family. Eden has lost a lot of jobs in recent years and really doesn't have much if anything going for it.

Winston-Salem is a GREAT small city with wonderful livability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point