Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 05:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
These have been known about for a little while I do believe. I think it's more that Amazon is building fulfillment centers all over the place now. There are quite a few metro areas that have multiple fulfillment centers.

I really doubt these put the Kernersville center in jeopardy. In five years, it'll be rare the area that DOESN'T have an Amazon fulfillment center.
?

Both were announced within the week. Both were secretive. Had code names, involved incentives and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,061,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
?

Both were announced within the week. Both were secretive. Had code names, involved incentives and all.
I honestly have had a hard time keeping track (there have been so many) so if these are two new ones, my mistake. I'm still doubtful that they put Kernersville's facility in any real danger.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I honestly have had a hard time keeping track (there have been so many) so if these are two new ones, my mistake. I'm still doubtful that they put Kernersville's facility in any real danger.

I don’t blame you. It’s like. The 4th or so in the Charlotte region. But the 2 announced last week or whatever are apparently yuge. I think both are the biggest warehouses in the respective cities. Charlotte provided millions in incentives, Raleigh hasn’t disclosed its incentives.

But I don’t think it’ll put Kernersville in danger. Literally, these things are going to be everywhere.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,061,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I don’t blame you. It’s like. The 4th or so in the Charlotte region. But the 2 announced last week or whatever are apparently yuge. I think both are the biggest warehouses in the respective cities. Charlotte provided millions in incentives, Raleigh hasn’t disclosed its incentives.

But I don’t think it’ll put Kernersville in danger. Literally, these things are going to be everywhere.
Exactly. They may be larger than Kernersville. But ultimately in a few years, it will be rare to be in even a medium-sized metropolitan area that completely lacks one of these Amazon facilities. Many will have multiple facilities.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:24 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,394,359 times
The News and Record is reporting that construction of the Amazon fulfillment center in Kernersville has begun:

"Construction and grading is underway at a planned Amazon fulfillment center in Kernersville, the latest step toward what could be a 1 million-square-foot facility on Old Greensboro Road.

Jeff Hatling, Kernersville’s community development director, said Monday town officials “should be issuing the building permit this week” for the site in Triad Business Park.

Hatling said Triad Business Park “does not require any board or commission action” on land transactions.

Amazon’s proposed Triad plans for the center surfaced May 30. The center could employ up to 953 full-time and full-time equivalent workers.

A project site plan was submitted to the town May 9 by Atlanta developer Seefried Properties Inc. on behalf of Amazon. Neither company has commented publicly on the facility.

The proposed Amazon site is near the FedEx Ground operations on Old Greensboro Road in Kernersville. It’s within 10 miles of the FedEx sorting hub at Piedmont Triad International Airport.

Amazon has not made a public request for local or state economic incentives, though it has asked for at least $13 million for a project near Charlotte-Douglas International Airport that could have up to 1,500 employees.

On July 26, Amazon affiliate DEDC LLC signed a memorandum of lease agreement for potentially up to 40 years for the three sites that Seefried bought between June 8 and June 18. Seefried has developed similar fulfillment centers for the online retailing giant.

The initial lease would run for 15 years. The agreement allows Amazon to extend the lease five times for five years each.

The memorandum also gives the Amazon affiliate the rights of first offer and first refusal to buy the property during the terms of the lease. The memorandum was signed by Jonathan Levy, a vice president for the Amazon affiliate.

That section of Old Greensboro Road is getting popular recently for major projects.

On July 19, Old Dominion Freight Line Inc. spent $2.72 million to buy an undeveloped 25.2-acre site at 1651 Old Greensboro Road, lot No. 7 in Triad Business Park. The seller was Celadon Trucking Services Inc.

John H. Boyd, a national site-selection expert based in New Jersey, has projected the Kernersville fulfillment center could represent a $150 million capital investment.

“Amazon recognized, under its new growth strategy, that it is shy of distribution centers in North Carolina,” Boyd said.

According to Glassdoor, a jobs listing and information website, the average salary for Amazon fulfillment center employees is $13 an hour, about $27,000 a year.

Several employment studies have shown that working at an Amazon fulfillment center is not for everyone. For example, Amazon makes it clear that the job can be taxing, particularly during the peak holiday shipping season of November and December. Workers can be required to work up to 12-hour shifts and walk 7 to 12 miles during a shift. Most employees must be able to lift up to 49 pounds.

Boyd said modern fulfillment centers “not only employ lower-skilled workers, like forklift operators, but also information-technology professionals doing inventory and other software-related functions.”

Amazon has about 2,000 employees in North Carolina."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point