Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:01 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
I went Monday at lunchtime, not in the evening. There weren't many office workers either compared to downtown winston. Definitely less people during the day than 2 years ago.
I disagree that downtown Greensboro is declining. It has really perked up in the last decade or two (along with many other downtowns in the region for that matter). Although it has occurred at an incremental pace during that time rather than a "boom town" one, the new options downtown have been consistently getting better.

I do wonder if having Benton Convention Center right downtown in Winston-Salem may contribute to the perception of slightly more people milling about than in Greensboro at certain times. Greensboro has the coliseum's Special Events Center and Koury Convention Center, which are good, in areas that need revitalization (i.e. Gate City Blvd.). But I wonder if a similar venue were downtown if it would feel a bit more bustling than it does now. On the other hand, Greensboro has Greensboro College, UNCG, NC A&T, and Bennett College all clustered pretty close to downtown, so that offsets the lack of having the convention center downtown like in Winston-Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:49 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I disagree that downtown Greensboro is declining. It has really perked up in the last decade or two (along with many other downtowns in the region for that matter). Although it has occurred at an incremental pace during that time rather than a "boom town" one, the new options downtown have been consistently getting better.

I do wonder if having Benton Convention Center right downtown in Winston-Salem may contribute to the perception of slightly more people milling about than in Greensboro at certain times. Greensboro has the coliseum's Special Events Center and Koury Convention Center, which are good, in areas that need revitalization (i.e. Gate City Blvd.). But I wonder if a similar venue were downtown if it would feel a bit more bustling than it does now. On the other hand, Greensboro has Greensboro College, UNCG, NC A&T, and Bennett College all clustered pretty close to downtown, so that offsets the lack of having the convention center downtown like in Winston-Salem.
At night time Greensboro is more active but during the day Winston-Salem has the edge because it's downtown does have more office workers. However Greensboro's office market is kind of spread throughout the city in office parks and the airport area which is why Greensboro has a bigger challenge bringing office jobs downtown. I agree that downtown Greensboro's growth has been more gradual than Charlotte or Raleigh but it is definitely growing.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 PM

75 posts, read 76,734 times
About a month or so ago some group had an online survey asking for input about changes to downtown Greensboro. The primary emphasis seemed to be on ideas for enhancements for increased pedestrian use. In completing their survey, it occurred to me that downtown GSO is somewhat peculiar because it is primarily the Elm Street corridor that contains shops, restaurants, etc., while Greene seems like a foreboding wall of parking garages, offices, etc. Much the same can be said for Davie Street (although it also has some surface lots, which could be developed.) As others have said, the opening of the performing arts center will no doubt bring some changes, but with Hanes to the north and LeBauer Park to the east we shouldn't expect too much right across the street. Along Greene, there are almost no trees for four blocks from W Lindsay until you are south of Market-- it all concrete walls! Go to Google Street View and see for yourself.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:54 PM

185 posts, read 199,412 times
What would be a BIg Help is if downtown didn't allow a certain religious group to walk around there and be hostile.. this group goes around in white and gold robes and yelled out to me to repeant and that God forgives me for my sins. ( All this because I was a male holding my dates hand who also happened to be male) I know it's probably a freedom of speech issue but it's very tacky and puts a damper on the downtown experience. This group is always there and I have even witnessed them arguing with others in their group..

Old 06-13-2018, 05:29 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
What would be a BIg Help is if downtown didn't allow a certain religious group to walk around there and be hostile.. this group goes around in white and gold robes and yelled out to me to repeant and that God forgives me for my sins. ( All this because I was a male holding my dates hand who also happened to be male) I know it's probably a freedom of speech issue but it's very tacky and puts a damper on the downtown experience. This group is always there and I have even witnessed them arguing with others in their group..
I agree that the group can be intimidating. I usually walk across the street to avoid them. However the freedom of speech on public land is there right I guess. Panhandlers and homeless people also like to hang around the park. The city needs to do something to help those people at least get off the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point