Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 PM

536 posts, read 640,248 times

Advertisements

Visited Downtown Greensboro for the first time in two years on Monday and the place seemed like it was going downhill as compared to two years ago, which shocked me greatly as Downtown Winston-Salem is on the upswing if anything. It seemed like there were more stores & food places on Elm St that were out of business compared to two years ago and less streetlife as well. The two parks had people and are very nice (although LeBauer is starting to show its age just three years in) and the performing arts center + Bellemeade Village are surprisingly far from any sort of completion. What's going on in Greensboro? Why does it seem so stagnant, stale, and depressed (even on Elm St) currently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Visited Downtown Greensboro for the first time in two years on Monday and the place seemed like it was going downhill as compared to two years ago, which shocked me greatly as Downtown Winston-Salem is on the upswing if anything. It seemed like there were more stores & food places on Elm St that were out of business compared to two years ago and less streetlife as well. The two parks had people and are very nice (although LeBauer is starting to show its age just three years in) and the performing arts center + Bellemeade Village are surprisingly far from any sort of completion. What's going on in Greensboro? Why does it seem so stagnant, stale, and depressed (even on Elm St) currently?
Monday nights area probably one of the slowest nights of the week. You came on the wrong night. Downtown Greensboro is far from declining and fact it is on the upswing. Drive through downtown on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. There are a number of construction projects in the works including a preforming arts center, highrise Westin Hotel and a planned Aloft hotel/office tower near the ballpark. Midrise apartments including a Hyatt Place Hotel is going up near the ballpark. I don't know what you mean about businesses closing and downtown being depressed. You must not be talking about the same Greensboro

Old 06-06-2018, 09:40 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
The Performing Arts Center just starting significant construction a month or two ago. Until that point, there had been a lot of stalling, but things are on the right track.

And GSOBoi has a tendency to paint a picture a step more rosy than is even possible to paint.... but he's right in that you visited on a Monday night. A lot of restaurants/establishments choose Monday as a day to be closed. In the last two years, there have been a number of very good additions to the Elm St area in particular. I'd say to come back on a Friday or Saturday.... even a Thursday and you'd see a much different picture. NYC, Chicago, or even Charlotte it is not. But it's certainly not depressed.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:57 PM

241 posts, read 238,522 times
Quote:
Monday huh?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Monday huh?
I would imagine Monday is busier than the weekends there with office workers.

Though I haven’t been to GSO for a long time. It doesn’t seem like a place that people arojnd the region go to for enjoyment or have the population for a round-the-clock activity that even cities as small as Charlotte seem to have .

Though I’m not sure why that’s surprising

Old 06-07-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Though I haven’t been to GSO for a long time. It doesn’t seem like a place that people arojnd the region go to for enjoyment or have the population for a round-the-clock activity that even cities as small as Charlotte seem to have .

Actually people around the region go to both Greensboro and Winston-Salem for enjoyment and shopping. Don't think I painted the picture anymore rosier than it is though. Downtown is on the upswing and the statement that downtown is depressed and everything is closing contradicts everything thats going on. 20 years ago that may have been true.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:45 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,083,760 times
Lol depressed? I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I was living in an isolated small town in central TN before moving here, and THAT downtown is what I would call depressed.

Now, there are some vacant businesses in downtown GSO, but overall there is still plenty going on to make up for that, including the upcoming stuff the other posters mentioned. Is it a Charlotte or Raleigh level of life? Hardly. But I definitely wouldn't call it depressed.

Last edited by BrianGC; 06-07-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Lol depressed? I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I was living in an isolated small town in central TN before moving, and THAT downtown is what I would call depressed.

Now, there are some vacant businesses in downtown GSO, but overall there is still plenty going on to make up for that, including the upcoming stuff the other posters mentioned. Is it a Charlotte or Raleigh level of life? Hardly. But I definitely wouldn't call it depressed.
Agreed. It's like comparing apples to orange. One could say Charlotte is depressed compared to New York City.

But a despressed or declining city is moving backwards not forwards. Clearly Greensboro is not going backwards. It's just going forward at a slower rate than cities like Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:34 AM

511 posts, read 512,117 times
The title of this will just add to the stigma that downtown is suffering when clearly it is not the case.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM

241 posts, read 238,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

If we're talking morning/midday foot traffic, sure (assuming there's no event taking place). Evenings and night time though it's not close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point