Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 03:18 PM

185 posts, read 199,358 times

Advertisements

So this morning I went to mcds on Pisgah church for my ice coffee run. The drive thru was too long so I hopped inside.i walked up to counter where a employee was and she quickly told me I had to order at the kiosk?!?.. so I along with a handful of people were trying our best to place the order ourselves on the touch screens. Luckly there were two "kiosk associates"..(that was their title on apron) they guided us thru.. But I'm thinking. What's the purpose of this.. it didn't unlimate any jobs cause the workers were still there and they were even typing orders in for the older folks ? This definitely looks like a epic fail on mcds part... Anyone else experience the new order system at mcds?

Last edited by Chadfromnc; 07-04-2018 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Obviously the purpose is to make the restaurant more profitable. Customers order more when using kiosks.

The kiosks are ubiquitous in many of McDonalds non-US markets, and almost all US stores will have them by 2020, so if they are an epic fail I think someone at McDonalds would have noticed by now. Its actually the future of fast food.

https://bigthink.com/brandon-weber/t...t-a-rapid-pace

Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,472,831 times
I'm not sure what the epic fail is on McD's part? In fact, having people there to assist those with the kiosk is great customer service. And eventually, this will be a norm in the future. The customer will wind up ordering more food using a kiosk, and there will more than likely be less mistakes with your order as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM

that was an interesting article but I don't really understand how customers will order more..if I go and start tapping away at the screen when I get to the final total and I see it's a higher price then I wanted to pay for a meal or item, then ill just go back and start making some edits to my order.till it gets in the price range I want it to be at.. lol I'm in my 30s but not ready for all this new technology and advances to things that seem so simpler in the past

Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
that was an interesting article but I don't really understand how customers will order more..if I go and start tapping away at the screen when I get to the final total and I see it's a higher price then I wanted to pay for a meal or item, then ill just go back and start making some edits to my order.till it gets in the price range I want it to be at.. lol I'm in my 30s but not ready for all this new technology and advances to things that seem so simpler in the past
If you had read the article you understand how:

A 2017 study compared spending attitudes on desktop versus touch screens and found that the physical experience of touching products—even on screen—increased the likelihood that a consumer would make a "hedonic" purchase. “When a consumer uses a touchscreen device, the novelty and fun generated by finger movements create experiential and affective feelings, in alignment with the playfulness and emotional nature of hedonic products,†the study authors wrote."

And McDonalds has real world data to back that up:

"In fact, McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook explained the real reason why they’re doing this: “What we’re finding is when people dwell more, they select more. So there’s a little bit of an average check boost.†That could be as much as 5-6% the first year."

Old 07-05-2018, 06:49 PM

It's must just be beyond my understanding..all I know is that no matter how much "fun" I might have selecting menu items when I see the total getting high or higher then I want I'm gonna start deleting or moving items back out of the cart.. guess there's not many of us folks that pay attention to the total and just swipe...on that note. It didn't look like u could pay cash at the kiosk but I'm not sure. does anyone know ?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,105 times
After using something similar at Sheetz, I don't have a problem at the kiosks in McD's. If it helps having my food prepared as ordered, I'm all for it. There sure are a lot of customizable options with the McD kiosk.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
It's must just be beyond my understanding..all I know is that no matter how much "fun" I might have selecting menu items when I see the total getting high or higher then I want I'm gonna start deleting or moving items back out of the cart.. guess there's not many of us folks that pay attention to the total and just swipe...on that note. It didn't look like u could pay cash at the kiosk but I'm not sure. does anyone know ?
Again, it's about proficiency. You would rather wait in a line at the counter, rather than to have your order already in and being prepared by the time you pay for it?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
First time I see one was in Madrid. It was very easy to navigate and self explanatory. The ones in DC all have them. I never seen anyone have trouble with the kiosk.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
First time I see one was in Madrid. It was very easy to navigate and self explanatory. The ones in DC all have them. I never seen anyone have trouble with the kiosk.
I would suspect it's the same people who have a fear of using computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point